Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

Replacing clutch lever and brake master cylinder stock, what's the best choice?

6K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  diaslemuel 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm going to replace clutch lever and brake master cylinder for my ninja 300 ABS 2016.

I read review and refer in some forums, articles... I have two choice in my mind:

- Brembo RCS 19 for brake master cylinder
- CRG clutch lever folding

(If Brembo have their clutch lever for ninja 300 ABS 2016, I will go with it. I have asked a person who sells Brembo products in my country - Vietnam, he told me that his Brembo clutch lever product isn't suitable for ninja 300 ABS because it uses clutch lever cable instead of clutch lever fluid)

I'm a very new biker and do not have much experience about those things. So can anyone show me your experience?

Thanks.

#4 ·
Cuong I wouldn't go with the RCS19 where's a single rotor with a 2-piston caliper, but at least it's your decision.
From the Brembo-Website: "
The RCS radial master cylinder is available in two different versions: 19 and 15.

The numbers indicate the diameter of the piston and define the respective applications for the two versions: the 19RCS must be used in a dual disc system with 4-piston non-floating calipers, whereas the 15 RCS may be installed in single or dual disc systems with 4-piston floating calipers."

Link: http://www.brembo.com/en/bike/sporting-use/master-cylinders

#7 ·
Cuong the RCS19 is just an Overkill for the setup from the EX300 (OEM is 12.7) and yes I'm very well aware that many falsely use a setup like this.
But let me ask you about their skills or knowledge? Many of them just even don't have any clue about what they are sold by salesman who only think about their profit and never care about any rules of safety.
Brembo talks about a setup with two rotors (discs) and 8-pistons in 2 calipers.
The right one would be the RCS15 or if you know somebody in U.S. (b/c of shipping) the RCS14 would be the better choice: https://www.kurveygirl.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=796
I by myself on my bike use a RCS13 from PT in Italy with a Brembo 4-piston caliper (34/30mm) and this setup is more than strong enough.
Thanks, that's very important and interesting information @Yoermane :smile2:

That's just something in my mind, i haven't buy them yet, so I have time to fix it >:)

I can't get any Brembo product other than RCS 19 in Vietnam, so I think I must go with other brand. Do you suggest any? How about CRG?

#8 ·
Thanks, that's very important and interesting information @Yoermane :smile2:

That's just something in my mind, i haven't buy them yet, so I have time to fix it >:)

I can't get any Brembo product other than RCS 19 in Vietnam, so I think I must go with other brand. Do you suggest any? How about CRG?
Cuong in your case I would start with the most easy way.
1. Use better brake pads - but never, really never, use those on the street which are recommended for race purpose b/c they need long time to be warmed up until they really function well and in case of emergy you maybe don't have enough brake-power.
2. Change to Stainless Steel Braided Brake lines.
If this is still not enough, go for a better caliper - recommended Brembo 4-piston (NOT the monoblock-version!), Link (this shows the CNC-Version): http://japan.webike.net/products/21161942.html
And then when even this is not enough, then get a RCS-Master-Pump.

PS: Information about piston size master/slave brake cylinder.
Generally speaking, the increase in size of the slave piston with constant master piston results in a magnification to the braking force, however with a longer lever stroke.
The other way around a pump with a larger piston it is to be expected when the same brake caliper is used result will be in a decrease of the brake piston applied force, albeit at a lesser lever travel. The brake is more direct, but requires more lever force for the same braking power.

#9 ·
@Yoermane: Thanks, it sounds good plan :)

The final question, is there anything I have to notice if I change the brake master cylinder?

Example, the dealer suggest the accossato AMAG022PK for my ninja, I did some Google search, and someone said that it can not be used with ABS model. I check accossato website but found nothing about that notice. How can I confirm this?

#10 ·
@Yoermane: Thanks, it sounds good plan :)

The final question, is there anything I have to notice if I change the brake master cylinder?

Example, the dealer suggest the accossato AMAG022PK for my ninja, I did some Google search, and someone said that it can not be used with ABS model. I check accossato website but found nothing about that notice. How can I confirm this?
You're welcome Cuong.
To answer your first question, there's nothing special to notice, except all normal points of safety and doing a clean job.
About the Accossato AMAG022PK, this is also a 19mm piston and let me say it in a very easy word: Tell your dealer from me that he is an idiot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.