Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after throwing my first set of rim tape out anger because i was not getting it perfectly aligned i put my second set now and have accepted imperfection.

Furthermore since i am going to be adding red clip ons and red fluid reservoir and maybe red rearsets i wanted to change the decal on the tank from black to red but after trying to peel it off it seems like it might have a clear coat over it along with the tank so if i take it off its going to leave a nasty "space" i might be wrong but the tank just didn't look smooth under it as it broke a little peice off , yes the sticker broke off it wasn't reallly peeling which also makes me think it may be hardened by a clear coat.

So any ways from the pics yku can see i also wanted to out the decal on the flat black plastic it would of looked cool, imo, but the decal wouldnt stick to that surface.....

Back to the drawing board

Attachments

· Registered
934 Posts
hmm its possible... from a design aspect, it would be good to clear coat over it, so it doesn't peel, and u can wax over it... but then again... suck if you wanna take it off...

If you have the money and are willing to, I think it would look real slick if you pulled the tank off and got some red pin striping, and he can remove the sticker while hes at it. or have him paint on a new ninja emblem.

=D

· Registered
270 Posts
nothing wrong with the actual decal, he just wants to make it a different color.

If he is going with the same decal, he could just place the red one over the black. Or you could even offset it just a bit and let the black underneath look like a drop shadow.

· Registered
7 Posts

I have viewed multiple videos in reference to removing clear coated sticker/decals from the gas tanks. Apparently if you utilize an exacto knife around the edges. Blow/Heat gun. Then spray wd40. Repeat heat. Buffer/wet sand. I have yet to see a ninja owner do it. This would be an interesting DIY video. This guy does it on a CBR and another dude does it on a Harley.

· Registered
1,105 Posts
Guys, i've done the Ninja decal removal....it ain't easy.. and DON"T use an exacto knife unless you have surgeon quality muscle control. I scratched into my paint a little, it didn't matter to me tho, cause I painted the bike anyway. But to see if it could be done I removed the sticker and sanded then polished the tank, it worked. See this post...
http://www.kawasakininja300.com/for...ons/1654-how-remove-tank-ninja-sticker-2.html

It is on page two of the post, I pointed out the small scratches the exacto knife hit...

· Registered
7 Posts
Guys, i've done the Ninja decal removal....it ain't easy.. and DON"T use an exacto knife unless you have surgeon quality muscle control. I scratched into my paint a little, it didn't matter to me tho, cause I painted the bike anyway. But to see if it could be done I removed the sticker and sanded then polished the tank, it worked. See this post...
http://www.kawasakininja300.com/for...ons/1654-how-remove-tank-ninja-sticker-2.html

It is on page two of the post, I pointed out the small scratches the exacto knife hit...
Thank you for the link. Educated myself with your help sir. Much Appreciated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.