Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
You're goung to have to strip the whole bike down to the frame, and it's not very fun. To take the gas tank off, it has two bolts on the seat side under the front of the seat, one on the front of the tank that acts as a pivot, and then all the gas lines on the bottom. Make sure your tank is more or less empty before you do it.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Track Whore
675 Posts
There are no bolts on the front of the tank. It's just a rubber bushing. There is a fuel line on the bottom with a red plastic retaining clip, and one vent line on the left side. One electrical connection on the bottom. Undo everything, lift the rear of the tank, and pull it back off of the bushings.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
286 Posts
There are no bolts on the front of the tank. It's just a rubber bushing. There is a fuel line on the bottom with a red plastic retaining clip, and one vent line on the left side. One electrical connection on the bottom. Undo everything, lift the rear of the tank, and pull it back off of the bushings.

Ahh, you're right. I was thinking of my R6. Pretty sure that one had a bolt on the front if I'm not mistaken.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Cheers for the help guys, is the first time I have had to take off all the fairings as such and get a bit nervous due to the shite quality of the plastics that they use in fear that I will break something.........or lose something :eek:

There are no bolts on the front of the tank.
??????? There are bolts at the front of the tank.......two of them.......saw them with my own eyeballs........

Fuel Tank Removal

Turn the ignition switch off.

Wait until the engine cools down.

Disconnect the battery (–) terminal (see Battery Removal

in the Electrical System chapter).

Remove:

Front Seat (see Front Seat Removal in the Frame chapter)
Tank Side Cover (see Tank Side Cover Removal in the
Frame chapter)
Fuel Tank Bolts [A]

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's the rear of the tank. My statement stands. There are no bolts on the front of the tank.

Depends on which way your standing :D

But yes you are correct there are no bolts at the front of the tank, only the rear. Was pretty easy to get off too, those two connections and she's done.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Na I didnt unhook my battery either, was a bit of an afterthought when I was putting it all back together........even though its like one of the first things the manual tells us to do :eek:

On a side note, the Area-P/Fuel Moto tuner is in, jeez some of those spots that you wanna run your wiring through is pretty tight!!! Also cut a slot in the bottom tray at the rear so now the tuner sits all the way in there nice and snug. Had to jig a few things out the way to run the wiring how I wanted, I also am a bit anal when it comes to making sure my mods look like a factory item as much as possible.

Holy Smokes Batman!!! Dont this little baby ninja start to get up and walk all of a sudden......... Dont know if it was opening up the exhaust or the tuner or a combo of both but it dont matter which it was cause its better all around. Ya can still feel that it runs a bit fat but no doubt will lean out once the K&N is in there.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Was very time consuming and oh so ultimately frustrating at points but thats why I love modding as you learn so much about your bike.....and yourself. Patience is the key and to not let little setbacks (like not being able to get the tank off!!) put you off what it is that you are trying to gain or achieve. Well worth the time, money and effort.

My mods so far are simply a decatted header, slip on muffler (so essentially a full open system), 15T sprocket and a few cosmetics. Oh and the Area-P tuner.

My review of the Area-P mod would be that you are silly not to do it. For a small displacement bike, it now feels like some 600's that I have ridden previous and somewhat better. It has more acceleration than it had at stock (even with the larger sprocket on) and as old3 had mentioned before, not hard to lift the front just that wee little bit from 1st to 2nd. Nice torque down low and pretty much pulls hard right from go to whoa. Up top it just keeps on pulling too; the drop off after around 10500-10800 has disappeared, it just wants to bounce that needle straight through to redline.

Guys and girls I highly recommend. After taking for a test run this morning on the way to work, I had to take a second look when walking away from the carpark just to make sure that it was still the same baby ninja that I bought.

Because it definitely didnt feel like a baby ninja anymore.........she's growing up so fast :p

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On a downside, when I was knocking that indestructible unobtanium material out of the header I have bent the header pipes a little to one side with all the banging and smashing :D Got to work and thought what the fark is that burning plastic smell?

So now I have a little melted plastic on the very lower bottom left cowling on the inside where the cat is touching the lip on it, not noticeable from the outside or to anyone else but me but its a trade-off I guess for saving so much cash and doing it all myself and learning a shiteload about my bike along the way.

All up less than 500 bucks for a full open exhaust and tuner so not worried about a little 80 dollar piece of great quality kawasaki plastic :rolleyes:

And whats a bit of melted plastic anyways?? Just another personal touch that makes it mine :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.