Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm starting to form some rust on my stock exhaust.
Mainly by where my right foot's heel sits on the pipe, and by the tip of the exhaust.

Here are some pics:

Does anyone else have this problem?
Any tips on removing this and preventing it from happening further? :confused:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha, I live in Cape Town, South Africa.. and about 2km from the ocean. I guess the air around here in general is just concentrated with salt water wanting to rust everything up.

Living near the sea has its down sides

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
Living near water can do severe damage on anything that rusts. I live in Norfolk, VA and a lot of the Navy brats (I'm Army) learn real quick to store their bikes properly once they start to rust up.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Just a bit of crap on the surface! Try polish it off! Metal polish, car polish, what ever! If you want to keep the brushed steel look on the shield just a light polish staying in the direction of the grain! As for protection, not sure, bit of car polish/wax might offer some protection? Or try some silicon spray? Inox?

·
Registered
865 Posts
I would use this as a reason to get a new exhaust system :)

I second that! ;D

You could have that part painted to prevent rust though, use some high heat pant, even though that part doesnt get too hot anyways. or a high heat clear coat.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have the same prob. and I'm nowhere near water. Started the 2nd week I had her. I think I'm just going to get the M4 Full but still not sure, I'd like to go with whatever one will give the best HP gain.

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
easiest way to remove rust stain is plain old boring white vinegar

let the bike cool down, soak a rag in white vinegar and let it sit on the rust for a few hours, longer the better. then lift the rag off and wipe the surface, the rust will rub off. the vinegar is a mild acid.it wont affect your paint work, it wont eat your metal, its not hydrochloric acid or anything like that.works a treat on rusted bolts etc as well.put rusted bolts in a seal-able container over night and next day they look like new

·
Registered
294 Posts
we are having the same issue, same exact spot, noticed it the other day, only had the bike for 4 weeks, it is always covered and vented... Was thinking of turtle wax, for removing rust... Cant believe thats already showing up... BTW, northern florida, mid-state, no where near water....

·
Registered
865 Posts
i've had mine for what? 2 months now?? and I drive it in the winter... salt and all. plus i live right on the seacoast... lol so the airs pretty slaty... not rust yet there...

however I keep mine in a garage, not outside... that may be the difference?
I also only have washed it once, i dont use any wax, or anythign when i wash it, i just pressure wash it and call it good.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will try this tomorrow evening :)

easiest way to remove rust stain is plain old boring white vinegar

let the bike cool down, soak a rag in white vinegar and let it sit on the rust for a few hours, longer the better. then lift the rag off and wipe the surface, the rust will rub off. the vinegar is a mild acid.it wont affect your paint work, it wont eat your metal, its not hydrochloric acid or anything like that.works a treat on rusted bolts etc as well.put rusted bolts in a seal-able container over night and next day they look like new

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mine covers pretty much the whole heat sheild, none on the smaller rear section though. I use autosol metal polish to get rid of it but it comes back 3-5 days later. Not to worried because I'll be getting an aftermarket exhaust soon.

I have the same prob. and I'm nowhere near water. Started the 2nd week I had her. I think I'm just going to get the M4 Full but still not sure, I'd like to go with whatever one will give the best HP gain.
I'm going with the Area P full system, they are currently finishing up their research and design process. Will be getting their micro programer as well comes with custom maps for different mods. Should be on the market early next year

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
man i live next to tampa bay (literally 2 blocks away from open water) and i haven't , knock on wood, started to suffer any sort of rusting just yet

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Sounds like impurities in some of the metals. I've bought cheap "Stainless" steel knives before. Some developed little rust spots, some didn't. Seemed like luck of the draw with the crappy Chinese knife set.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.