Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the OEM rearsets, it doesn't look like there is enough room to flip the rod position to get a GP shift pattern. Has anyone been able to do this?

As far as aftermarket, are there aftermarket rearsets available yet? I've got too use to the reverse shift pattern from riding my 600. I'd rather keep all my street bikes consistant to make it easier on my little brain. :D

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I think if I remember correctly on the 250R they had to chop part of the front sprocket cover off to do this mod..

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sorry for my ignorance but what's a rearset/ GP shift ?

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Rearseats are the whole foot assembly, pegs, heal guards, shifter, brakes, ect...

GP shift is reverse shifting.. rather that up to to up its down to go up.. the idea is for racing, your going to have to upshift out of a corner, but if your foot is under the shifter you cant lean as far.. When every second counts you just flip the shifting, so you ready to shift at the perfect time and can get a full lean as well..

·
Registered
221 Posts
Rearseats are the whole foot assembly, pegs, heal guards, shifter, brakes, ect...

GP shift is reverse shifting.. rather that up to to up its down to go up.. the idea is for racing, your going to have to upshift out of a corner, but if your foot is under the shifter you cant lean as far.. When every second counts you just flip the shifting, so you ready to shift at the perfect time and can get a full lean as well..
That is badass. No wonder I send a few GP races and was alil confuse when I thought they were up shifting down. So then i was right when I saw that. I track alot so I'm planning on tracking bike once I have more miles on it.

So then obviously they haven't make those compouents for the 300?
Can anyone post a pic from their previous bikes that have this type.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That is badass. No wonder I send a few GP races and was alil confuse when I thought they were up shifting down. So then i was right when I saw that. I track alot so I'm planning on tracking bike once I have more miles on it.

Most people whom do this mod simply flip the shifter rod 180 degrees. I did it with my KX and IMO it's a much more natural way to shift. Basically this I haven't looked at the 300 very closely, plan on getting one around January/February.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Most aftermarket rearsets support both. Like someone else posted, you just have to flip the location of the rod. With the OEM rearsets, sometimes this is possible, sometimes not.

This are the vortex rearsets on my 600RR. As you can see, I can have the rod attach above like I have it now or I could flip it and have it underneath.

Another nice thing about the reverse shift pattern at the track is when you are in a full tuck, you just press down to shift which is easier than trying to put your toe under. When you are braking, you are sitting up so its much easier to click up on the shifter.

·
Registered
221 Posts
That's sweet. Ima take a look at mine once I get home to see if the stock one can be flip.

·
Registered
221 Posts
So today I decided to take a look and see if I could flip it on the 300s and it work. I love it because I always drove 6 speed manuel cars and by doing it this way, for me it feels more at home. Just like pushing a clutch on a car. Take a look at the pic below.

The only issue is the plastic cover doesn't fit back on anymore. As you can see in the picture below where I'm point with a flat screw driver. That needs to be notch. But it's nothing difficult a grinder can't fix. But I'll have to wait until Monday when I go to my shop.

·
Track Whore
675 Posts
I switched mine to GP shift before I ever put a single mile on it. The front sprocket cover on the 300 is plastic so it's easy to trim the bottom bar off to give clearance.
I'm not sure if you can see it in this picture.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't really make it out. I suppose I can just trim mine.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Very carefully....

It is possible to leave a teeny bit of material .
Here is my version..

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I am totally going GP Shift soon. I'll make a vid about it. Should be fun.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I am totally going GP Shift soon. I'll make a vid about it. Should be fun.
Let me know how it goes. I had to cut my counter shaft sprocket guard to get it to work. I know run without it, but I wanna hear your experience. :)

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Let me know how it goes. I had to cut my counter shaft sprocket guard to get it to work. I know run without it, but I wanna hear your experience. :)
Sounds good. Yeah I'll be trimming mine too, but will try to keep it looking as nice as possible. I think the GP-shift with the quickshifter should be a hoot.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts