Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ragabob, if it helps at all I've had my DR2s for over a month now 120/60 and 150/60 and I LOVE em. My dad liked them so much when he rode my 300 that he went and bought a pair for his 300 last weekend.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
You will only get any wider tire benefit if the wheel itself is wide enough to fit the wider tire.

If you put a 160 on the skinny stock 300 oem wheel you will lose a lot of the benefits of the wheels sidewalls meaning when you lean/turn the bike, you will not utilize the correct treads from tires intended purpose.

So if you want to put a 160 rear, 170 rear you will need to get a correct wheel size. You can bead the tire into the stock wheel but its going to affect the overall pitch of the sidewall in a negative way.

I have a 150 on mine and i think the wheel/tire is either at its limit for size fit or i'm loosing a very small amount of the intended adhesion.

All this talk about the benefits of a wider tire is only there if you actually use a correct wheel with the 160/160+ tires.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know there are many threads about rear tire size already out there. But none of them seem to have found the answers I'm looking for.

I heard of some people putting a 160 rear tire on the bike. I will be purchasing tires soon and I am thinking of putting a 150 on. Will it actually fit and seal properly? Or should I go talk to my tire guy about it?

Also.. This may be a dumb question, but, what benefits do I actually gain from having a large tire rather than a smaller tire? Will I get better grip around turns?

Hey man, good question. I'll put in my two cents being that i decided to get a bigger tire for my own 300! I had stock tires before, wore them to the ground. As my riding became more aggressive, i noticed that my bike would feel very unstable at highway speeds and during turns (either slow or fast), the bike would seem to "rock and slide" every so slightly - again making my ride feel unstable. Stock tires, besides the instability, DID make the bike very "flickable" and easy to maneuver at low - moderate speeds (5mph - 40 mph)

Now, I decided to fix up the instability of the bike, so i did two major adjustments:
1. installed a new 150/60 rear tire (supercorssa's i believe)
2. stiffened the rear suspension preload from a 2 (stock) to a 3

I gotta say, first thing i noticed is the bike is taller (because the suspension wouldnt sink as much). during riding, the case being the stiffer rear and larger (overall BETTER) rear tire made the bike feel like it was riding on rails! from street to highway, the bike dindt "shake and bump" as much. and i felt more confident accelarating out of a corner or simply switching lanes.

during highway speeds, the bike didnt wobble and shake and again, you feel much more stable traveling 70+ mph. yes, there was a slight but noticeable decrease in torque because the tire is bigger and heavier, but nothing to worry about. frankly, i found myself accelerating faster than stock tire, again because i was more confident my tire woulnt slide out from under me.

sorry to revive an old thread, especially with such a long answer. But, for the past few months, i was thinking of upgrading to a 600 cc supersport from my ninja 300. but, after the stiffer suspension and bigger tire, it felt like a brand new bike which i will be keeping and adding even more mods (ie rearset brackets and clip-ons)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Many track riders and racers have gone down to the 140 rear on the 400 because of quicker turn in. The 400 and 300 both have a 4 inch rear rim. The front tire size is the 110/70. I have a 150 rear on my 400. I have a whole track season and 2 races on the 150 rear. When the rear wears out, I will probably go down to the 140 rear. I can probably get another season out out the 150. Maybe I will change it mid season to the 140. I have a set of Michelin RS 110/70, 140/70, waiting to go on my 300. Waiting on a few other items, then
the 300 will be ready for the track in June.
6953DD53-C005-4DB9-B874-CDDD8DCD664F.jpeg

61 - 65 of 65 Posts