Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
from what i heard, if you go to 120 from a 110, a 120/60 would be better since it will keep the same height profile of the 110/70, but i dont know if that is true or not
Anyone? Anyone? I have contacted mechanics and they say to put stocksize back on bike. But what about 110/70/17 140/70/17 stock to 120/50. Should you go lower in tire "aspect ratio?" Or "height?' Like 120/60/17 and not 120/70/17. I really would like a little wider for the interstate and these size tires are also easier to find. I get the part about the tire build radial,ply bias. :confused:
Plug in the numbers: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php

·
Registered
167 Posts
Tires and tire sizes

Just wanted to throw this out there. I just bought a pair of Michelin PR 2's and went with 110/70 x 17" front / 150/70 x 17" rear. The 150/70 has the identical circumference of the stock 140/70 with 4,000 miles on it !!! This gives the 5.9" width (versus roughly 5.5" of the 140/70) with no change in ride height OR gearing. They weigh virtually the same so all the concern about rotational mass is a moot point IMO. I recommend Motorcycle Tires Maniac . com as a source since they are good to deal with, answer phone/questions and are fast: 48 hours Iowa to Va. Hope this helps someone; tire talk is often a dark subject, stirs controversy . .

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Just wanted to throw this out there. I just bought a pair of Michelin PR 2's and went with 110/70 x 17" front / 150/70 x 17" rear. The 150/70 has the identical circumference of the stock 140/70 with 4,000 miles on it !!! This gives the 5.9" width (versus roughly 5.5" of the 140/70) with no change in ride height OR gearing. They weigh virtually the same so all the concern about rotational mass is a moot point IMO. I recommend Motorcycle Tires Maniac . com as a source since they are good to deal with, answer phone/questions and are fast: 48 hours Iowa to Va. Hope this helps someone; tire talk is often a dark subject, stirs controversy . .
Thanks for another vital piece of information, Trumpet. I was worried about going to the Pirelli Angel GT 150/70/17 because I though I was going to affect the ABS on my bike but now it looks like it won't. Cheers...:)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
question..

I ordered 120/60 and 150/60.. how much will this throw the speedo off? what is the actual radius/circumfrence difference of the two?

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
what about what oil is best to go in to my motor? or the best fuel i should use? or should i fill my tires with air or Vegemite? :D
Shell oil, Shell fuel and Shell air (air from a Shell service station!)
The Shell Rhyme:
She sells sea shells on the sea shore;

The shells that she sells are sea shells I'm sure.

So if she sells sea shells on the sea shore,

I'm sure that the shells are sea shore shells.

What's Vegemite again?! Ah...(LOL)
The Vegemite Song:
We're happy little Vegemites
As bright as bright can be.
We all enjoy our Vegemite
For breakfast, lunch and tea.
Our Mummies say we're growing stronger every single week
Because we love our Vegemite.
We all adore our Vegemite.
IT PUTS A ROSE IN EVERY CHEEK!
We're growing stronger every week.

:p

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/tirediamcalc.html

well.. here are tire heights..

140/70=24.72"
150/60=24.09" (.63" shorter than stock)
150/70=25.27" (.55" tall than stock)

so the 150/70 is actually closer to stock height, but is taller by 1/2", whereas the 150/60 is 2/3" shorter than stock.. of course that's if the heights of the tires are exact.. not much real difference, but I'd be curious how much farther off that throws the speedo.. also wonder if there is a benefit to doing +1 sprocket with a smaller tire..

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/tirediamcalc.html

well.. here are tire heights..

140/70=24.72"
150/60=24.09" (.63" shorter than stock)
150/70=25.27" (.55" tall than stock)

so the 150/70 is actually closer to stock height, but is taller by 1/2", whereas the 150/60 is 2/3" shorter than stock.. of course that's if the heights of the tires are exact.. not much real difference, but I'd be curious how much farther off that throws the speedo.. also wonder if there is a benefit to doing +1 sprocket with a smaller tire..
Check out this page. I hope it helps. Cheers...
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php?tires=110-70r17-120-70r17

·
Registered
167 Posts
Since you asked

There are so many variables to consider. First of all, the D.O.T. allows for a small amount of variance in the design specification of the tire mold. I do not know what percent is allowed in the U. S., but it is small <5% or so. Then wheel widths vary, i.e. the inside bead to bead distance. On the Ninja 300 this amounts to 4", so it is difficult to seat-the-bead when a tire has been stacked in storage for instance. My 150/70 x 17" PR-2 as delivered measured 3.5", so seating was a bit difficult. My homespun method is to wrap two belts around the center of the tire to compress it; when I worked in a tire shop we had a special "band" to facilitate this. I had mentioned earlier that tire talk is "a dark subject" and these are some of the examples of why that is. "762" is correct with his diameters, yet here again these numbers are under ideal circumstances / results vary.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
"762" is correct with his diameters, yet here again these numbers are under ideal circumstances / results vary.
lol.. I think that's the first time I've ever been called 762 on any forum..

yeah, the measurements should be right if the tires are exactly 150/60 & 140/70 etc.. but we all know there are going to be variations between brands and tire models.. they just fit into those categories..

·
Registered
167 Posts
Elaborate more / seek help if unsure

762 is known by many as the NATO number: 7.62mm = .30 caliber, right? Now, back to "tire tech". The reason a wheel's bead width affects a tire's diameter is because the tire is designed to be mounted on a wheel with a certain range of width. Usually, when a tire is mounted on a rim that is too wide, the O.D. is smaller and vise-versa. I have seen some strange combinations through the years, as weird as two tube-type tires on one wheel and such (live in the boonies/run outa things to amuse). Seriously, adhere to allowable pressures, do your research and be safe: if not comfortable mounting tires, by all means get a professional jack-leg to do it for you. NOT kidding here folks.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
762 is known by many as the NATO number: 7.62mm = .30 caliber, right? Now, back to "tire tech". The reason a wheel's bead width affects a tire's diameter is because the tire is designed to be mounted on a wheel with a certain range of width. Usually, when a tire is mounted on a rim that is too wide, the O.D. is smaller and vise-versa. I have seen some strange combinations through the years, as weird as two tube-type tires on one wheel and such (live in the boonies/run outa things to amuse). Seriously, adhere to allowable pressures, do your research and be safe: if not comfortable mounting tires, by all means get a professional jack-leg to do it for you. NOT kidding here folks.
Yep.. 7.62x54r is what I shoot for fun.. Cheap as hell if you pick up old surplus ammo.. Very close to a .30 cal.. 7.62x25 is a revolver, then there's 7.62 NATO which is the 7.62x36 if I remember correctly.

Dunno why I chose it to put at the end of my username, but I've just stuck with it for years..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
hey guys so ive been reading and i need advice from you experience guys
so 150/60 is that the best wider size tire we can go?
seen 250r guys go 150/70 and looks nice not like a bicycle is that safe?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Front tire

The single biggest benefit of the 150 vs.140 is selection. The only reason I race on the 150 Pirelli Supercorsas is the fact that they aren't available in 140. The 140 Diablo Rosso II's are a great tire, but I like the SC1 and SC2 compounds a little better.

I'll be using my 300 for mostly track use. I too was looking at 150's because of the selection. I had the diablo rosso IIs on my 250 (RIP putt-putt) and they were nice, but i figure since the 300 comes with a 140 stock, that'll let me comfortably bump up a size.

What size do you carry in the front??

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Yep.. 7.62x54r is what I shoot for fun.. Cheap as hell if you pick up old surplus ammo.. Very close to a .30 cal.. 7.62x25 is a revolver, then there's 7.62 NATO which is the 7.62x36 if I remember correctly.

Dunno why I chose it to put at the end of my username, but I've just stuck with it for years..

7.62 NATO is 7.62x51 aka .308

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I already said for aesthetic purpose only.
:)
The Pirelli Diablo Rossi II offers far more than mere aesthetic! Aesthetics are an odd reason to spend so much on a tire—but I guess you gotta do what you like! :D

When you do your first track day you'll appreciate the extra grip you get from the PDRII, though it might be hard to compare a track day on a stock tire if you do your first on the PDRII.

A racer friend of mine (SuperbikeShaun) mentioned that he really liked the PDRIIs when he test-rode the Ninja 300, and he's fast. He's kneedrag fast. So, to me that was high-praise. He said he had quite a bit of confidence because of the tires and the bike. I plan to meet up with him again and get a more thorough interview of his background and his thoughts on the modded 300.

Personally, I don't believe in false-economy when it comes to tires. Your entire bike (and you) rely on those small contact-patches...may as well make your tires the best they can be for your bike and budget.

Now, if I could get some Dunlop Q3s in 110/140, I'd be all over that for my next set. :D

41 - 60 of 65 Posts