Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
If you're simply commuting, the stock tires are fine. There is nothing wrong with them. I rode through dirt and rocks and didn't lose any traction. All the people with "hate stock tires" posts usually have a malfunction somewhere between the seat and handlebars. :rolleyes:
With that being said, I personally didn't like the look of my stock tires. I went with the Pirelli Diablo ll purely for aesthetic purposes. I went with a 120 on the front and 150 on the back. They feel very planted and I don't have a single negative thing to say about them. They fit very nicely on our rims too. If you're thinking about switching tires, I can tell you, you won't be disappointed with them.
View attachment 3692

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
when you chose the 120/150 combo, did you go with a 120/60 or 120/70? same for rear tire, 150/60 150/70

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
If you're simply commuting, the stock tires are fine. There is nothing wrong with them. I rode through dirt and rocks and didn't lose any traction. All the people with "hate stock tires" posts usually have a malfunction somewhere between the seat and handlebars. :rolleyes:
With that being said, I personally didn't like the look of my stock tires. I went with the Pirelli Diablo ll purely for aesthetic purposes. I went with a 120 on the front and 150 on the back. They feel very planted and I don't have a single negative thing to say about them. They fit very nicely on our rims too. If you're thinking about switching tires, I can tell you, you won't be disappointed with them.
View attachment 3692
If the stock tires are 'fine', then why did you move up from the stock 110/140 tires to 120/150? :D

Hey, if others like the IRCs, more power to them. I like the peace-of-mind knowing I'm on the latest-greatest tire technology. But, I put the Diablo Rosso IIs on the bike for the same reason I put the clipons on the bike, or added 5HP. I'm trying to make the little 300 a competent little canyon carver where the only true limitation is my software.

·
Registered
463 Posts
60....but the stock has 70...had I thought to look, I would have gone with 70

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
from what i heard, if you go to 120 from a 110, a 120/60 would be better since it will keep the same height profile of the 110/70, but i dont know if that is true or not

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
So far I haven't had any problems with the stock tires not sticking, it's more the suspension that's worrisome to me. When I get new tires though, I will keep the 110 in the front and probably go with a 150 in the rear just because of selection.

·
Registered
51 Posts
from what i heard, if you go to 120 from a 110, a 120/60 would be better since it will keep the same height profile of the 110/70, but i dont know if that is true or not
Anyone? Anyone? I have contacted mechanics and they say to put stocksize back on bike. But what about 110/70/17 140/70/17 stock to 120/50. Should you go lower in tire "aspect ratio?" Or "height?' Like 120/60/17 and not 120/70/17. I really would like a little wider for the interstate and these size tires are also easier to find. I get the part about the tire build radial,ply bias. :confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used the stock tires it feels fine to me. I ride on the twisty road all the time in Redwood. And I lean my bike too and ride hard. But I'm not doing a knee drag. I want to change my tires but I dont have a budget yet. But I'm still having fun riding my bike even they are all stock.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hello, I just passed 4,000 miles last weekend. (only had the bike for 3 months) I have been using the stock tires. Looking at replacing them soon.

How are the Pirelli Diablo Rosso II Rear Tires ? I never used them...

I use Michelin Pilot Road 3 Tires on my other bike and like them, but then again I just started riding this year and have nothing to compare to. If I choose the Pilot Road 3's they only come in 150 rear. So what size should I get in the front? 110 or 120?

BTW, I dont take to the tracks and I use the bike on a daily basis to get around. (When its not raining)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hello, I just passed 4,000 miles last weekend. (only had the bike for 3 months) I have been using the stock tires. Looking at replacing them soon.

How are the Pirelli Diablo Rosso II Rear Tires ? I never used them...

I use Michelin Pilot Road 3 Tires on my other bike and like them, but then again I just started riding this year and have nothing to compare to. If I choose the Pilot Road 3's they only come in 150 rear. So what size should I get in the front? 110 or 120?

BTW, I dont take to the tracks and I use the bike on a daily basis to get around. (When its not raining)
I would use a 110 in front honestly. Super sports use a 120 front normally.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
I run a 120/150 set on my 300, same as on my 450-610cc supermoto bikes. They are fine on the 300, in fact they increase stability and make the bike feel more planted. Steering has the slightest heaviness added, but within a few turns you can't notice it, very, very slight.

In gymkhana parking lot riding, I don't hit the edges till my SV Racing rear sets are scratching the tar. That is WAAAAAY over. I'm sitting on the opposite side cover/seat edge.

No worries, no negatives. They just work. If they are great on my 265 lbs single cylinder, they aren't "too much" for the 380 lbs. 300.

It doesn't look like a moped now either, nice side benefit.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I run a 120/150 set on my 300, same as on my 450-610cc supermoto bikes. They are fine on the 300, in fact they increase stability and make the bike feel more planted. Steering has the slightest heaviness added, but within a few turns you can't notice it, very, very slight.

In gymkhana parking lot riding, I don't hit the edges till my SV Racing rear sets are scratching the tar. That is WAAAAAY over. I'm sitting on the opposite side cover/seat edge.

No worries, no negatives. They just work. If they are great on my 265 lbs single cylinder, they aren't "too much" for the 380 lbs. 300.

It doesn't look like a moped now either, nice side benefit.
you go for /70 or /60 on those 120/150

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
120/70-17 front, 150/60-17 rear. I'm running Conti "Force SM Super Motard" tires. Great grip, I can't get the front to slip at all. The rear steps out nicely on heavy braking into turns if you like to drift the rear end. On the 300 it isn't as slip happy, on the motard it can really step out. Lots of great feedback from the tires.

·
Registered
134 Posts
120/70-17 front, 150/60-17 rear. I'm running Conti "Force SM Super Motard" tires. Great grip, I can't get the front to slip at all. The rear steps out nicely on heavy braking into turns if you like to drift the rear end. On the 300 it isn't as slip happy, on the motard it can really step out. Lots of great feedback from the tires.
WAIT.

Sorry for being a NOOB but why 120/70 and 150/60?

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
So these sizes will be better then stock sizes right ?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

In my opinion, absolutely.

As to why these sizes, they are what is available in that tire. I run the exact same tires and sizes on my SM race bike. IIRC my race bike rear wheel is 1/4" wider than the 300.

On the street there is stupid grip and plenty of lean angle available. If you scrub the edges in these sizes, you should be on a track or controlled area.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts