Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read the manual on how to do it, seems pretty straight forward with the provided wrench but how do I know what setting is right for me? I know stock its set at 2 but I'm 5'10 215lbs (pure sexiness) would you say the stock setting is just right for me?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
ah ha! theres a few threads on this already, one has a video on how to set the sag of the bike and the video is by "keith code"

probably the easist way to adjust it (im going to don my flame suit now) is to put a flat bladed screw driver against one of the teeth on the preload adjuster and just it a "love tap" with a hammer

this is a *VERY ROUGH* way of doing it, do it the right way, remove the left peg and the hugger and use the right tool and do it right

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Don't even need to remove the peg. Just pop off the hugger/chain guard and use the adjustment tool. You adjust the preload based on two factors. How hard you want the ride and how much load you plan to put on the bike. For example, I'm just a little lighter than you are, but I wanted a firmer rear suspension so I put it up to 4 and it works just great. Bike remains much more stable in turns when hitting a bump or a pot hole I didn't see, but you will feel the road irregularities a bit more. Things become more pronounced. I would say adjust the preload by steps and take it for a test ride and see what feels right for you. Also if you plan to load the bike up, you will need to increase the preload level as well as tire pressure.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
i had to take the peg off as i couldn’t get it to move up past 3 with out doing so, the tool would hit the peg and it woundlt move i tried every angle you can think of and i gave up and removed the peg and all over said red rover in no time

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Wont have to relearn anything. You might have to adjust to the feel a bit though. The ride will be a little harsher. It's nice though because with the rear too light, when you hit a bump in a turn, the tail will wander a bit as the tire goes a little airborne and the suspension hasn't quite pushed the rear tire back on the ground. The higher preset compresses the spring a bit more and will cause the rear end to snap down quicker so your rear will wander less when hitting a bump in a turn.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
You're welcome. Adjust it step by step and take it for a ride each time to see where you like it. It's a personal thing tha teach person has to try out themselves to find their balance.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've changed my preload to 3 and the difference is very noticeable. Feels much more planted on the ground and stable on turns, also increased the psi of the diablo II's to 32front and 36rear and feels so much better.. I'm only 60 kg though

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mine is adjusted to 3 and the passanger is better off than 2 level pre set. I would like to try 4 level any photos, link, thread or youtube video for instructions?

(From 2 to 3 in the service center the mechanic did this cause I couldnt)

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
I adjusted mine and it feels like a completely different bike!

Sorry, LOL!

Attachments

Reactions: jeff

·
Registered
463 Posts
for you weight , 4 or 5 for sure

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Set mine on 5 the other day and it feels completely different now and I love it. A lot more stable at higher speeds and I don't feel the rear wobbling anymore in the corners.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I changed mine 2 setting 4 not so much for my weight factor but for the roads where I live r quite rough and it made a huge difference I used to hit bumps and I could feel them thew my back it was just to soft and now 4 seems perfect Im sure I wont need to go to 5

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Suspension settings that suit the rider are paramount to having a motorcycle that feels planted to the road.

Adjusting the suspension and setting your correct sag for your weight should be one of the first things you do when owning a new motorcycle........bought new or used. 30 minutes or so of your time can make your ride feel so much better, and once set you never have to touch again.......unless you carry a pillion often and like to adjust for that. But once you know your perfect settings, you can switch back in seconds.

I aim for about 35mm of sag for street riding on the rear, and about 40mm up front.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

funny about that :biggrin:

get the suspension right so the bike can move & get traction when it needs to and actually works correctly over bumps etc & it can make a *huge* difference to not only the way the bike feels, but in a race condition, can reduce your lap times also!

if you want to learn more about motorcycle suspension, there is a few good books around, probably the best i have read is called "racetech motorcycle suspension bible". sensational book to read, gets right in to the nitty gritty of it all and explains it oh so well

·
Registered
85 Posts
How much costs that mod? I´m thinking of put on clip ons and adjusters then front but rear also? Not much $, which is better front or rear suspension mod?

Sorry, LOL!

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
How much costs that mod? I´m thinking of put on clip ons and adjusters then front but rear also? Not much $, which is better front or rear suspension mod?
The Ohlins remote reservoir rear shock is around 900 dollars after all is said and done.
The suspension system works best when both the front and the rear are "balanced". If you improve the rear suspension the front suspension will feel really bad. If you do the front suspension the rear will feel bad. IMHO you have to do both front and rear to achieve a "balanced" suspension.
I am going to improve the front suspension soon. I am gathering information and trying to decide which direction I am going to go in. Some fixes are not that much money and others are pretty expensive. Right now I am leaning toward Traxxion Dynamics internals.
If you don't have much money do some small mods to the front and the rear suspension. It will be money well spent.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts