Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I've searched for existing threads about the size of rear stands / spools, but did not find anything beyond what brand to buy, etc.

I bought a Speedmetal rear stand from Cyclegear, which requires that I have swingarm spools, and has a minimum width of 13.5". The sales rep told me this was the typical minimum width for a rear swingarm to be. I also got some cheap $20 spools. After threading the spools onto the bike, the stand seems to be too wide to life both spools.

Has anyone else had any issue with this, or am I doing something wrong? This is my first bike, and first time doing maintenance.

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have the trackside stand from CG, and it fits the 300 just fine. The width is adjustable. I can't imagine your stand being much different. They are the same price, from what I remember.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I edited my first post with some pics of the stand. I just measured the stand as well. Comes out to 14in / 355.6mm wide, but my spools are only 13.25 in / 336mm. Do I need a different stand, or longer spools?

·
Registered
354 Posts
I take back what I said, the trackside stand I bought isn't the correct size either. The spools/swingarm arms are adjustable, but the spool arms don't fit the N300 either. I'm buying a pitbull. I'd recommend you buy a pitbull as well. They have a swingarm/spool rear stand that fits, dare I say, all spooled bikes (except for the bikes that pitbull sells separate stands for). They are worth the extra money!

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I take back what I said, the trackside stand I bought isn't the correct size either. The spools/swingarm arms are adjustable, but the spool arms don't fit the N300 either. I'm buying a pitbull. I'd recommend you buy a pitbull as well. They have a swingarm/spool rear stand that fits, dare I say, all spooled bikes (except for the bikes that pitbull sells separate stands for). They are worth the extra money!
The results of this and several other threads have led me to that conclusion as well. I'll update tomorrow once I get a pitbull stand.

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
ah ha! thanks for supplying photos, that doesn’t look like it is adjustable for side to side movement

these are adjustable, yo can change how wide they go

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Motorcyc...orcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a77a96d68

not the worlds greatest, but you can get the idea. see the square gold looking tube, you slide it in/out to get right width and then tighten up a bolts to hold it in place, and your done

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have a cheap MJ Moto rear stand and it works for the Grom, Zero S, Ninja 300. Worked for the Triumph Street Triple r, Ninja 650r and Gixxer 1000. The frame is not adjustable but the attachment that holds the prong and swingarm rest (the Grom and Zero S have no holes for spools) are long and you just move them in or out to fit. It doesn't look like your fork moves in or out in the photos. Huh. I figured they all did. Huge difference between the width of a Grom and a Ninja 650. The MJ Moto stand is $50 and not made all that great, but it works fine. They sell spools too and those have fit all my bikes that I've used them on including the Ninja 300. I notice there is a little offset between the hole for the spool and the swingarm, and the MJ Moto spools have a little cone shaped washer that slips into that small gap so you can tighten the spool down without it hitting the swingarm before it is seated all the way. "Webbuy" in the coupon area gets you a 5% discount. One word of caution if you do buy their triple tree front stand. Their pin size says to use 18 for the Ninja 300, but that size pin is too large. Must be the next smaller size, but I just kept mine cause it fits the Grom. Anyway, I still need a pin for the Ninja 300 front stand. I think several of the more expensive stands come with an assortment of pins so you might not have to deal with buying those separately for the front stand. Lots of choices out there, but I can't imagine anyone even making a stand that is not adjustable to fit a wide variety of bikes. Maybe the forks that rest on the spools come in a variety of sizes and angles and you can just get another set for the Ninja 300 rather than buying another rear stand too. If so, the seller should take the forks that don't fit back and you could just switch.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
The 300 is a narrow bike so non adjustable stands are going to be too wide.

I took a chance in a cheapo Harbor Freight spool stand.

In this pic you can see that it is adjustable. Once you get it to the proper width you crank down on the 4 bolts. Currently I have it sitting on the bolts from a pair of spools that did not fit well. The bolts work quite well. I will remove these when I go riding

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for your help and advice. I went back and got a Pitbull. Pricey, but this is an investment in my riding future.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Think of your investment this way

If your bike fell off a stand that did not fit properly once
the damage would exceed the price of a Pitbull

To me, that is money well spent

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
Thank you all for your help and advice. I went back and got a Pitbull. Pricey, but this is an investment in my riding future.
pricey, but i bet you will never need to buy another stand for any motorcycle you own ever again.

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
Another rear stand. I will need to get the front one at some point lol
now the front one is interesting you have a few different styles, one that goes under the bottom of the forks and the weight is lifted up via the forks/springs

or

one that has a pin that pushes thru the bottom of the triple clamp

1 - 20 of 36 Posts