Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please check their rear seat and see if it sits flush?

I was putting on my new tail bag tonight and for the life of me could not get it to snap back in to place evenly. I eventually gave up and noticed that it is the seat itself that does not sit flush. There is a noticeable gap on the right side while the left side sits perfectly in place.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hmmm... I don't have this problem currently. I said currently because I remember when everybody was talking about how they have a gap on their fairings on the top part close to the handle bars, I was wondering what was it and sure enough, a gap started to appear after 2 mos of using the bike. I really hope kawi improve their fairing fitment. Would you take pictures wisemonkey so we would know exactly how it looks like?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That almost looks like something is keeping it up is the little tray down all the way and the tool kit not pushed up on it?
I just checked the tray (good idea) and it was down.

It almost seems like one of the helmet hooks is in the way. I cannot figure out what other point of contact the seat is making other than the two black plastic inserts at the back and the locking point in the front center.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I know there is two slots that you slot the seat into, just above the tail light, it looks as if maybe only one side has slotted in properly? I would take it off, and have a look from the side on as you put it back on to see if firstly is going on correctly and secondly that nothing is hitting.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know there is two slots that you slot the seat into, just above the tail light, it looks as if maybe only one side has slotted in properly? I would take it off, and have a look from the side on as you put it back on to see if firstly is going on correctly and secondly that nothing is hitting.
Worth a shot. Back to the garage I go...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No luck. The two back plastic tabs slide in to place without issue but when the center post clicks in to the locking mechanism, the seat is crooked. It maybe the seat hooks in the way something else impeding it to seat properly.

Maybe others have noticed this as well and it is just another Kawasaki build quality problem.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Hmmmmmmm........I would take a quick spin to your dealer for sure, the locking mechanism sounds as if it could be a little off or skewed.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Hheh, I had to go look at mine, it sits about 1/8" from plastic on both sides, looks almost flush. With the seat off are both hooks the same height from the plastic panel next to it? Look down inside at the hook bottom, is it flush on the bracket or pulled up?(compare both sides).

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hheh, I had to go look at mine, it sits about 1/8" from plastic on both sides, looks almost flush. With the seat off are both hooks the same height from the plastic panel next to it? Look down inside at the hook bottom, is it flush on the bracket or pulled up?(compare both sides).
The hooks are flush and welded properly. The hooks do seem slightly out of alignment to each other but I cannot tell if the hooks get in the way when I connect the lock. I wasn't ready to start trying to bend it with a mallet just yet. That time is getting closer as we speak.

·
Registered
993 Posts
They should be in alignment with the divits cut in the plastic so they don't rub against the support feet. Look under your seat at the two posts (support feet) is there any scaring of the plastic on the leg of the post? if so then the mallet or a pair of pliers will be needed to ummmm adjust the peg.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They should be in alignment with the divits cut in the plastic so they don't rub against the support feet. Look under your seat at the two posts (support feet) is there any scaring of the plastic on the leg of the post? if so then the mallet or a pair of pliers will be needed to ummmm adjust the peg.
I looked for visible scratches and there is nothing there. Maybe it is the locking mechanism although it seems to click in reliably. I am going to stop messing with it tonight because right now beating the whole bike with a mallet seems reasonable.

Thanks for the assistance. Maybe a solution will come out of this in the end.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I noticed the gap in my seat also, anyone find a fix???

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
No fix yet but I took mine to the dealer on Saturday. they are going to call Kawasaki tomorrow.

I also started a case with Kawasaki directly for all of the fairing fitment / quality issues I am having. I pointed the rep (great guy!) to this forum so he could see some of the issues we are having.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Bump. Any luck with this? I have a feeling it's the locking mechanism, but I'm not sure, I tried to loosen and adjust it, no dice, it has no give.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Can anyone take a picture of the trunk with the rest seat off? I'm curious if the locking mechanism is sitting at an angle on other people's bikes.

This gap is definitely new, I didn't see it before I installed my fuel moto tuner, and I've moved the tuner around and it's definitely not blocking it. I tried with the tray removed too. All that did was make the rear seat really wobbly.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not to get to far off topic here, im not sure if i have the gap issue but i know i have the rear seat that shifts side to side. Like if i had a passenger they would not have a nice place to sit as the seat shifts laterally.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts