Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've read up on how to set sag in the front and the back from various sites and the Keith Code and Dave Moss videos.

The front is non-adjustable so I focused on the back. I have a little over ~800 miles so far and have all been ridden on the factory setting for preload (2) but I haven't ridden a street bike in almost 20 years so I don't have a baseline for what "dialed-in" or "normal" feel should be like on a modern sportbike. The videos tell me that street sag should be about 30-35mm.

First, I'm 6'2 and 210, about 215 with gear. I took the following measurements:

Preload:
2: 59mm
3: 49mm
4: 38mm

Note: These are all rider sag, there was no static sag which seems to also indicate the spring is too stiff/loaded.

Unless I'm mistaken, bumping up to 5 is not recommended because you wouldn't have much much compression left and bad things happen.

Am I right thinking that I need a spring with a higher spring-rate so I can preload it less and keep a proper sag?

The bike feels more comfortable on "2" around town but a bit loose at speed. At "4" it wants to rattle my teeth and the back seems like it wants to break loose more often but it is more settled at speed. I'm an analytical type, so I'm wondering if I should look for a better spring or just say eff it and ride on 3 even though the sag is higher than the recommended 30-35.

Anyone else measure their sag?

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Do what feels best to you right now. That will change as you get more comfortable. Sag "rules" are really guidelines, the important thing is the bike works best for how you are using it.

Eyeball my thread on a GSXR shock when you are ready to step up. Great $40 mod.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Think the 30 to 35 setting was for the track! Think the Keith code vid says 35 for track?
But what I get from his instruction is front rear should be balanced! So my plan as front is not adjustable, to measure front sag and set rear to match!

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
The bike has very lazy geometry stock. No matter where you set the sag IMO. You can get it nervous by raising the forks substancially but you aren't there. Try the settings, test them and make notes on how it feels and steers.

The important thing at the end of the day is how it feels to you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts