Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes my motorcycle makes this rattling sound on startup. The sound stops after a second or two.
I thought it might be the cam chain tensioner, but then why would the noise stop?
Its almost as if the bearings or something else aren't getting any oil at startup & when the oil reaches them the noise stops.
The bike runs perfect.
I should mention that I ride only on Sundays, so there is an entire week between startups & the noise happens only sometimes.
Any idea what it might be?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Kaustav

·
Registered
251 Posts
I know this is obvious but have you checked your engine oil level lately? What you describe sounds like your engine may be low on oil.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Also check for loose parts on the bike that could cause a rattle.How many miles are on the bike?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also checks for loose parts on the bike that could cause a rattle.How many miles are on the bike?
Not many miles on it, around 3000. I will check for loose parts, thanks.
I rev her to 10-12K frequently & it doesn't sound/feel like it has any problems. Could it be that the tensioner is just starting to let go?
Oil level is just below halfway so that should not be a problem, plus its Motul 7100 so quality should not be an issue either.

Regards,
Kaustav

·
Registered
290 Posts
Unlikely that's it is the cam chain tensioner going bad at 3000 miles.It could be a number of other things as it does not take much to cause/hear a rattle on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
The problem is that we can't hear the sound and don't know where the sound is coming from. Can sometimes need a stethoscope/screwdriver to isolate the sound to hear where it's coming from. Generally if it's a CCT it'll stick around at a certain RPM and if it's just barely out of spec, it'll be a bit noisy while cold but wouldn't be something that fixes itself in a second or two. Keep your ears open and listen to your bike and try to ride it more than once a week. :D I wouldn't doubt it's the CCT as that's a part that goes pretty quick on nearly every single super sport regardless of make and I doubt that the one in a 300cc cheap bike is any better. It's also not bearings as that wont rattle when it's low on oil unless a lot of material has been lost already. You'd have a bunch of metal bits in the oil and filter if the rattle is from bearings.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies. The problem is that it doesn't happen all the time- otherwise I could have recorded the sound(a bit like a rat-tat-tat). I would check for loose parts & pay extra attention to engine sound. Will update this thread.

On a loosely related note, any idea why the manual tells you not to rev/race the engine when in neutral? I know everyone ignores that advice, but why do they say not to do it?

On my other (old design) motorcycle, high revs result in bent pushrods!

Regards,
Kaustav

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
The engine needs load on it to function properly. Racing the engine in neutral means there's no load on it and all the energy you just built up by revving the engine goes right back into that engine. Similar reason to why your older engine bent push rods when revving the hell out of it when in neutral or clutch is pulled. That energy built up has to go somewhere and without it going through the transmission and into the wheels, means it goes right back into the engine. Now, newer engine designs are fairly good about working this energy and withstanding it, but doing it too much will still damage the engine.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update- Bike has not made that noise again. Took the bike to the service station & after listening to the engine they said my tensioner is fine.

Regards,
Kaustav

·
Registered
290 Posts
Glad to hear.Ride on...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sometimes my motorcycle makes this rattling sound on startup. The sound stops after a second or two.
I thought it might be the cam chain tensioner, but then why would the noise stop?
Its almost as if the bearings or something else aren't getting any oil at startup & when the oil reaches them the noise stops.
The bike runs perfect.
I should mention that I ride only on Sundays, so there is an entire week between startups & the noise happens only sometimes.
Any idea what it might be?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Kaustav
Hi bro, I won a ninja 300bs6 model, and Im facing the same problem. Can you please tell me how did you solve the problem?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts