Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we all know about the gap that forms on the left and right fairing at the top near the steering.

Last night I was doing about 140km/h looking in front off me when suddenly on the highway my left fairing got ripped off by the wind:eek:. The fairing must off gotten lose from the front due to this manufacturing default and the wind ripped the holding screws and surrounding area out breaking the fairing.:mad:

I find this pathetic build quality for the fairings. I have only done 2600km with the bike.

Not sure what to do, I have a warranty on the bike and this was not my fault I need to take on Kawasaki with this. Anyone know where I should start :confused:

Be warned about your fairings find a way to tie them down so you can avoid this.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Woah...that is intense..

Make sure you notify Kawasaki directly about this

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I sure hope that never happens to me. My plastics are still holding great. They better stay that way.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
958 Posts
You would certainly think recall, but maybe not until it happens much more. I mean they had the engine dying on a bunch of bikes and nothings been done about that. Gaps in fairings may be a more difficult and expensive problem for Kawa to fix. I feel just hooking the bike up to a laptop and downloading an updated map would be a quick fix to the engine stall issue. Interesting to me how when you ask dealers about these things they always say they never heard of anyone else with the problem. LOL

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Anything they "download" would need to be EPA certified. Not a cheap or simple process and probable not going to happen either. Didn't Obama just push the standards to double MPG in cars in 25 years. LOL! Easier said than done, especially when other legislation for safety conflicts with basic aerodynamics.

Can we see some pics of the damage?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Both of these problems have safety issues though. Stalling in traffic and pieces flying off your bike could get someone hurt.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
We've already seen a "defective" chain shield that someone actually stepped on and a bike that magically added oil to itself... I'd like to see some pics. :D

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
Nothing like paying a bunch of money just to find out the item you got is literally falling apart as you ride it down the road.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
I would also like to see pics, that must have been one hell of a ride.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
64 Posts
oh damn o_o

so fairing's probably all scratched, and it can't be mounted again with the connection points cracked off right?

that really sucks..

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
I took mine up to the dealer Thursday and they called kawa to report it. They want me to come and drop off the bike for a day for them to "try some things"

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
:eek:

IDK about that idea. Lets see the pics OP. I've had mine up to 100 MPH in sub freezing weather with the little gaps and I can't imagine it would even be easy to tear it off with my bare hand if all the securing hardware is in place.

Had it been apart? A bolt might have vibrated out, my bike lost a few...

Or was it hit by something tossed up by another car, or damaged while parked/dropped before?

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Last night I was doing about 140km/h looking in front off me when suddenly on the highway my left fairing got ripped off by the wind:eek:. The fairing must off gotten lose from the front due to this manufacturing default and the wind ripped the holding screws and surrounding area out breaking the fairing.:mad:.
mate have you got some photos to share with us. this is absolutely 100% something to be taking up with Kawasaki no doubt about it

·
Registered
27 Posts
Man this is really weird.... I had a dream roughly a week ago where this same thing happened to me while riding. I mentioned it to my friend and he made a joke about checking the fairings.... now I am thinking it might not be a bad idea lol.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Def not a bad idea, and yeas cant fit the fairing again plastic broke out. So bleek dont want to ride now for in case I bail or have an accident and it gets blamed on that.

The fairing is at my mates place atm so as soon as I get it back I will post some pics.

Just waiting for Monday to take this up with kawasaki.

·
Registered
463 Posts
vibrations maybe got the screw lose? bad luck buddy

1 - 20 of 23 Posts