Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to riding a motorcycle. I've never ridden one in my life. I'm now scheduled to take the MSF course next weekend and am excited about it. It's something I've wanted to do for a long time, and I'm finally making it happen.

But, what is really, reaaaaaaaaaally starting to chap my ass is every time someone who rides asks what kind of bike I'm getting and I say, "...a Ninja 300", the response is more often than not, "Get a bigger bike! That's not enough." Dubya tee eff!

Seriously, I've done my research. I've done my asking around. I've done my soul searching on how I want to learn to ride a friggin' motorcycle. I've compared bikes. I've reasoned with myself for a long time now on this topic and I've made an educated decision rather than a halfway thought out one. I want to learn to actually ride properly and to be safe. I don't want to just gun it and muscle my way around town beating out traffic with just the twist of my wrist until one day I make a fatal mistake and get myself killed from my own stupidity. If something happens and I die from this, I want it to be because of something that was outside of my control, not something that I earned on my own, lol. And, it's not like I said I'm planning on getting a Vespa or some other type of scooter! But, even those that ride those things...if that's what you enjoy, then by all means do your thing.

I can almost guarantee that none of these people have read a SINGLE article on the 300. Most of them probably don't even know that a Ninja 300 even exists, much less what it's capabilities are. They always say, "I learned on a 500, 600, 1,000 CC bike - you'll be bored of the 300 in 6 months." All I really want to say is "Good for you, bro." But, instead...I school them on all sorts of wonderful facts:

• You only use about 60% of your bike around town. I'll get to use a lot more and learn to actually use ALL my gears properly.
  • I can go on the interstate, keep up and pass traffic and still have some left over to get myself out of an emergency situation if needs be. Which the 250 can't do.
  • I can keep up with you on group rides, maybe I can't do 150 MPH - but who really needs to do that? I've jumped out of airplanes and been shot at (Airborne Infantry) for a living, I've got to do the things you only see in movies like blow stuff up and be all gung ho. I got all my craziness out a long time ago. A speed rush isn't what I'm out for. Sure, I'll have moments where I gun it and get a rush, but really...109 MPH is more than enough for what I will ever need.
  • My truck gets 13MPG in the city, I can't wait to ride something that gets 65 - 70MPG and save money.
  • Even experienced, veteran riders who get on the 300 from bigger bikes LOVE the 300 and have FUN riding it. Which tells me if that's the case, then a newbie rider with NO experience can learn on it and have FUN doing it.
And you know what's funny? I've gotten quite a few of these people to change their mentality based off just that alone. But, it still gets old having the same conversation over and over again.

Why can't people just shut up and be like, "Cool, man! Welcome to the club, let's go for a ride sometime. Ride safe!"?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Dont pay them no attention. When people tell me why i didnt get a bigger bike and that i made a mistake i just tell them they shouldnt give a [email protected]#$ since im the one paying for it and riding it as easy as that. Sometimes thats wat some people need to stop asking dumbass questions. (Sorry for the language) ive had to explain a couple of times too. But then theres old rider that ask u about the 300 because they actually wanna down grade and once u start telling them all the features u get compliments, that beats having to explain it to the other morons lol

·
Registered
344 Posts
Dude, ignore the people who think they know better. Yeah, most people out grow their beginner bike in a few months, but this bike is not your average beginner bike. I have BMW K1600 GT (160 HP) and l love my Ninja 300! Just rode to work and back today and my co-workers were all over it checking it out. They didn't give my BMW that much attention.

The fact I bang through all six gears and not have to look down at the speedo to see how much over the speed limit I am is great. You can ride, shift, corner and have a blast with the Ninja 300. Sure, my 1600 can hit 100 miles an hour in 4 plus seconds, but when am I going to do that on the street? Why do I want to do that and get myself or someone else hurt.

Get the 300 and just smile and wave at the squids as they blast down the road.

·
Registered
865 Posts
ignorance is bliss i suppose lol

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had the same dilemma. I could have purchased any Ducati I wanted for my 1st bike. But I'm not looking to kill myself and I don't care what others think. I want to learn how to ride and more importantly I want to feel comfortable doing it. Learning on a 1 liter bike... No thanks. Most of those kids don't know what they are talking about, they probably think having a big powerful bike makes their **** bigger, they are just ignorant. Plus you can never use the full potential of a 1000cc bike legally on roads, being able to WOT and actually use everything the bike has to offer is more interesting to me.

·
Registered
315 Posts
It's definitely annoying to hear the same arguments over and over again. Usually they're all based on anecdotal evidence and like you said, when they stop to consider your factual arguments.. they either change their mind, or say, "whatever".

Btw - where in AZ you at?

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Ignore them. I have a "mate" who refers to mine as a scooter. I think he's just jealous.
Same here, calls it a stealth scooter. My best mate and riding buddy owns a 2005 ZX10R from new. Probably one of the best and most potent Ninja's in my opinion that has been released to date. Same story, get a bigger bike bro!! I responded by stating that I can have just as much fun if not more from a bike that cost less than half the price of his brand new. And is still a "Ninja" no matter what anyone says and they still look sexy as a mofo.

So he took it for a spin the other day after like the 50th time we have been for a ride together................yesterday he bought one. :rolleyes: Reckons its the most fun he has had in years. Go figure hey?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's definitely annoying to hear the same arguments over and over again. Usually they're all based on anecdotal evidence and like you said, when they stop to consider your factual arguments.. they either change their mind, or say, "whatever".

Btw - where in AZ you at?
I'm down south, Sierra Vista. You?

·
Registered
15 Posts
it really does get annoying.. but the funny part is that when people tell me to get a bigger bike i tell them "oh wow.. so what kind of bike you have" most of them reply "oh i dont have one im still planning to get one". i just hope i dont see them in the newspaper.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I went riding with a bunch of guys on a local group ride when I had my 300. There was a notice on the internet about the group and one of the rules was the bike must be over 400 cc. I knew I would be fine so I just showed up and nobody said anything about my "undersized" power plant. Good thing they didn't cause these guys were SLOW. Mostly cruisers with fat guys on them who couldn't even go the speed limit on their 1200 cc bikes. Even bike riders don't know much about motorcycles sometimes outside of maybe their own.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I would just start telling them to pay for the bigger bike and the increased insurance costs :p If they're not gonna buy it for you, then they can just shut up.

I do not have fond memories of Sierra Vista haha. I was in AIT at the time though.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
it really does get annoying.. but the funny part is that when people tell me to get a bigger bike i tell them "oh wow.. so what kind of bike you have" most of them reply "oh i dont have one im still planning to get one". i just hope i dont see them in the newspaper.
No see these are the people that I hope to see in the paper. Just makes the human gene pool that little bit less dumb.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts