Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nephew was using my bike and he ran it out of oil. it died on him and wouldn't start. I filled the oil and it still wont start? Any help on this please.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Does it crank over at normal speed, but not fire?

I would change the oil, and look closely at what comes out. Maybe run it through a strainer. Look for bronze-colored flakes in the oil. If you see that you know the bottom-end bearings got toasted.

Best choice then would be to find a replacement engine.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Might be seized and ruined unfortunately. Running out of oil is super bad, you can't really just pour some back in and expect it to work. It's probably the sound of the starter trying to turn over the seized engine or the starter freewheeling.

Running out of oil is no joke. If you really wanna force it, try turning the crankshaft by taking the cap off the left side of the stator cover and turning the engine over by hand with I think a 14mm socket. But if its messed up, you could damage it more. Even if you free it up and then get it started, it will likely sound real loud.

Hope for the best, but when the engine stops due to no oil, that's pretty bad...
-Mike

·
Registered
435 Posts
It don't crank, when I try to start it there is a humming sound and that's it...
Well, that's not good news.

Sounds to me like the starter is trying to spin the engine over, but it's locked.

Remove the small round inspection cover on the left side of the engine and turn the bolt with a socket - like Sparky suggested. You should be able to tell quickly if it is completely locked-up.

It should take some amount of force to spin-over, but nothing excessive.

·
Super Moderator
2,602 Posts
How the heck did he completely run it out of oil? Was he riding it for thousands upon thousands of miles without ever checking it or changing it? I ride hard and my bike uses very, very little oil, so I have so many questions.

Unfortunately as others have already stated, you're most likely looking at an engine replacement. At best, you're looking at a great teaching moment for your nephew to learn about maintenance and accountability.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought the bike brand new in 2013. I have a bad back so I was not able to ride it that often, like it only had 2800 miles on it. I only serviced it once over the years because it was garaged for over six years. He wanted to use it, so I told him the first thing he needed to do was to take it down and have it fully serviced. He failed to do so and tried lieing to me, but I saw that it had the same filter. He racked up an additional 6k+ miles on it and bam, she said f you guys...

·
Registered
609 Posts
My nephew was using my bike....
He racked up an additional 6k+ miles on it...
That's not using or borrowing a bike, that's more or less taking ownership! Yikes! So sorry to hear.
So, you ran it for 2800 miles and the nephew put on another 6000 miles with potentially only ONE oil change? I guess he just ran it when the oil level was getting lower and lower over the thousands of miles, and it eventually quit? You'd expect the OIL warning light would have alerted to imminent failure, but likely he ignored that too?

R.I.P. poor, innocent little Ninja 300...

·
Registered
435 Posts
These little engines are tough, but they will lose some amount of oil through the crankcase breather system eventually. High RPMs in hot weather, especially with broken down old oil, will accelerate the consumption.

We bought a 1990 250 that was crashed at high speed, and left sitting for a while. I think it had about 20K on it. Paid $150 for it. The gas looked like dirty water and the oil looked like dirty gas. After cleaning everything, including the carbs, it fired right up. Son rode it for 3 years and thousands of miles - most of the time revving near the red. Never missed a beat, and really didn't use any significant amount of oil even after being abused most of its life.

Sorry to hear about the situation with your Ninja. You were being very kind.

No good deed goes unpunished rings true...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Mine used to eat oil at an actually substantial rate, but again, mine is at 41k miles. My rings were bad, I had a lot of blowby, so naturally, after replacing the rings just recently, oil consumption has basically stopped, as well as super fast dirtying of the oil has also stopped.

But at your mileage, there is no excuse... I am intrigued though, that low of miles should not have any issues with consuming oil, and to be honest, I have seen these small bikes run forever even when people forget to change the oil for thousands of miles. Dirty oil is 1000x better than no oil.

I suspect maybe you were lied to about the servicing, but there may have been a feeble attempt at changing the oil, and it was improperly filled, or the drain bolt/gasket was not properly tightened down. That is the only way I could see your great condition ninja taking a huge loss in oil.

Previous owner of my N300 actually did this once to it. Hand tightened the drain bolt and forgot about it, and rode off. Luckily he noticed before anything adverse happened and saw the trail of drips before it got bad, and I was able to help him and bring him some oil to fill it back up before coming home. And after my rebuild of the motor, I saw nothing bad came of it.

Sorry to hear how this all went down with your bike, we all learn from mistakes. But a motor ran without oil is likely toast. Sorry man.

-Mike

·
Registered
60 Posts
Try to roll start it in various gears, see if the tire starts turning? Idk if slipper clutch prevents that. Maybe there is an oil warning light code that must be reset? Try disconnecting battery for 30 minutes to reset ECU. I dont have a service manual CD yet so just guessing. Dont let nephew ride it if it starts. Sell it if you dont want it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts