Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I lost my innocence to riding in the wet finally. I'm not speaking of a spring shower, but a summer gut buster. Those of you who experience weather extremes know what I am talking about. I gotta say it wasn't really as bad as I feared it would be. Bike handled fine tires were fine, even getting soaked brought welcome relief from the summer heat. It was even hilarious to watch an old guy on his Harley pull over off the side of the road to avoid the moisture... however there is a dark side to the experience. Florida has a knack for spinning up monster storms out of nowhere, to the point central Florida has statistically been the most storm prone state in the country, and possibly the most lightning prone area in the world.

Lightning awareness is no joke. It's one thing to ride in rain, but all too often, especially here, lightning will quite literally strike out of nowhere. To me, this is one more reason to just avoid riding in the wet entirely, if it is at all possible to do so. Of course if one is already out and about, all one can do is head for some shelter until things settle down. Something to be aware of I suppose...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
aww dammit i just realized the phone messed it up. i was trying to type weather not leather!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I also had my first experience in the rain the other day. Really wasn't as bad as I expected it would be in my head (except for the wind). I am in south orlando so i know exactly what you're talking about with storms coming out of nowhere!

Milestone accomplished!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I also had my first experience in the rain the other day. Really wasn't as bad as I expected it would be in my head (except for the wind). I am in south orlando so i know exactly what you're talking about with storms coming out of nowhere!

Milestone accomplished!
Rain pounding down, the throbbing strains of Sydnee Duran pounding in your ears as the clouds themselves scream your name... and then, the jump - you and your bike sailing through rings of fire while the tigers below reach out for you in a futile gesture of savage outrage, bikini-clad cheerleaders throwing themselves at you after the pinpoint landing, big-name breweries begging you to sign as their spokesperson...

All because you weren't afraid to ride in the rain. Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
368 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rain pounding down, the throbbing strains of Sydnee Duran pounding in your ears as the clouds themselves scream your name... and then, the jump - you and your bike sailing through rings of fire while the tigers below reach out for you in a futile gesture of savage outrage, bikini-clad cheerleaders throwing themselves at you after the pinpoint landing, big-name breweries begging you to sign as their spokesperson...

All because you weren't afraid to ride in the rain. Welcome to the club.
And at times like that it is that I am happy I wear a full coverage helmet :)
lol Carl if you haven't experienced a florida rainstorm, you haven't experienced rain :D

indeed rasta i too wear a full face helmet. it was actually surreal at first because with a splatter of rain my eyes were automatically blinking until my brain decided to say 'heeeeeyyy waitaminute!"

in any event, the purpose of this thread was to just merely provide some thoughts as to one of the understated hazards present. everyone talks about rain; i've seen very little talk of what else comes with rain...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts