Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone bought a R&G or Cox Racing radiator protector for their 300? My question is, do they fit well?

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Has anyone bought a R&G or Cox Racing radiator protector for their 300? My question is, do they fit well?

Bill. just between you & me, im waiting on my R&G Radiator grill to arrive from the U.K. it was sent on the 1st May. it took 3 days to get to australia & im still waiting on Australia post to get it to me. once it arrives i will be doing a video of it & showing how it goes in. i have my fingers crossed it arrives today or tomorrow so i can fit it this weekend

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
The radiator is so high up i don't think anything should bother it.. I could be wrong, let's see what others say. http://www.motorcycle.com/mobile
front mount radiators are prone to having rocks/bugs in them. this is one of the biggest reasons i loved my VFR800 with the side mounted radiators, no chance of it getting a rock thru it & leaving me stranded by the side of the road when i did my trip round australia over 10 years ago.

one thing that can happen is rocks flick up off the front tire and go thru radiator. you can fit a radiator guard & a "fenda extenda" as well so the front mud guard/fender is longer at the back to reduce rocks coming up.

you can also get decent sized insects like grass hoppers small in to the radiator at speed & it bends the fins on the radiator & reduce cooling. this radiator guard helps prevent that

·
Registered
523 Posts
front mount radiators are prone to having rocks/bugs in them. this is one of the biggest reasons i loved my VFR800 with the side mounted radiators, no chance of it getting a rock thru it & leaving me stranded by the side of the road when i did my trip round australia over 10 years ago.
The DO make good leg roasters, though...

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
The DO make good leg roasters, though...
the 2002 onwards one's do but i never had that issue on my 2000 model. mind you after 1st service was dont i go the dealer to drop in mobil 1 racing 4t engine oil & the engine temp was 7 degrees lower using it then with the oil it came with. it was extremely rare my cooling fans came on for the radiator

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have both the radiator and header guard from r&g fitted to my ninja and yes I can confirm they fit excellent, it just mounts onto the radiator mount (four bolts). You can't really see it but good to know its there for a little extra protection to my radiator. The header guard is worth getting aswell to fill the big hole where the header is between the fairings, makes the bike look much better I reakon.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
I have both the radiator and header guard from r&g fitted to my ninja and yes I can confirm they fit excellent, it just mounts onto the radiator mount (four bolts)..
when you fit the rad guard can you undo 2 bolts at a time, say top two, fit the guard & then do the bottom two so you don’t need 4 hands?

·
Registered
27 Posts
yes I have one (R&G). easy to fit, fits well and does its job and when clean looks good. Weather here crap. I took all four bolts out and the Rad didn't move significantly.

·
Registered
484 Posts
when you fit the rad guard can you undo 2 bolts at a time, say top two, fit the guard & then do the bottom two so you don’t need 4 hands?
It's hard to explain but no you have to undo the four bolts that the instructions come with say to undo, but the radiator doesn't drop out or fall, it's still held in place by another bracket ( can't quite remember if its another bracket I fitted them a while ago, but the radiator definitely won't drop). The only thing that comes loose is the horn and bracket attached to it. The guard comes with pretty good instructions with pictures so pretty much anyone can fit it themselfs no trouble, just got to remove the two side fairings and the black plastic that goes around the radiator (two bolts). Simple.

Reactions: cruizin and jeff

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You have me convinced. I'll order tomorrow. The price is a bit stiff, but the value it offers makes it worth it. My radiator is already getting "bugged".

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
You have me convinced. I'll order tomorrow. The price is a bit stiff, but the value it offers makes it worth it. My radiator is already getting "bugged".
i bought mine of ebay from UK. i thought it was quite reasonable compared to some of the others & compared to a price of a new radiator, i will take the R&G grill any day;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have both the radiator and header guard from r&g fitted to my ninja and yes I can confirm they fit excellent, it just mounts onto the radiator mount (four bolts). You can't really see it but good to know its there for a little extra protection to my radiator. The header guard is worth getting aswell to fill the big hole where the header is between the fairings, makes the bike look much better I reakon.
Would you have any photos of how the header guard/grill is held in place?

Cheers

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cost.

Both Cox and R&G are 90.00 delivered. True, far less than a new radiator. Only have to do it once.

I am taking the bike to Race Tech for a complete suspension overhaul. Both forks and a new rear shock.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
I am taking the bike to Race Tech for a complete suspension overhaul. Both forks and a new rear shock.
awesome, you can take my bike too for the same treatment as you, thanks Bill, your the best! :D

·
Registered
205 Posts
I will get one when I put in a K&N air filter. If it saves only one random rock from flying up and into it I think its worth it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Fenda Extenda only protects fro debris thrown up by the wheel. My radiator is already dinged from bees, hornets, grasshoppers and a multitude of other flying critters. Maybe won't fracture the radiator, but over time takes it's toll.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts