Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ninjas! First of all I want to apologies for my english if it is bad (it is i know).

I bought 4 months ago a ninja 300 2016 model not brand new but it was second hand.

I have read a lot of things about this bike and I realy love it but i'm unsure if my radiator fan is working or not.

When i start the bike i can hear two sounds, the engine and an other sound maybe from the water pump?. After i ride a lot and the bike is worm when i shut down the bike I don't hear the fan.
Yesterday I ride with a friend for almost 2 hours at night. When we shutoff our bikes my ninja 300 didn't make any sound but my friends bike (ninja 250sl) was loud and clear that his radiator fan was working. After 1minute or 2 it stops running.

So I want to ask you how can & what should i check to be sure that radiator fan is working properly or not?

Do you know also if it is any video on www so I can hear the radiator fan sound?

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
251 Posts
This isn't necessarily an indication that your fan isnt working. It has a lot to do with the ambient temp and how it's being ridden.

You should be able to get the fan to kick on by letting the bike sit and idle for an extended period of time. You'll need to babysit it and watch for the coolant temp light to come on just in case the fan is indeed not working since there's no temp gauge.

If the coolant temp light comes on and the fan hasn't come on then you'll have to diagnose further.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The fan is really hard to see but you can see the blades with a flashlight if you look through the bottom side hole in the lower fairing. You can actually feel the fan (DO THIS WITH THE ENGINE COLD AND THE BIKE OFF) pretty easily by reaching up underneath behind the radiator to touch the blades and get your bearing for where it is so can later look visually to see if it's on.

Again. Engine cold and key off before sticking your hand in the fan.....I'm not responsible for lost fingies.....

·
Registered
251 Posts
In nearly 17,000 miles (27,359 km), I’ve never heard my fan running and I ride hard for hours on end.
The fan will almost never come on while underway. It's really only needed during extended stops or stop and go when there's no airflow for the radiator.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The Ninja 300 fan operation is different from the 250 mainly as the aerodynamics of thermal management is different .

If you want to test your fan follow the procedure in the manual or you can ask your dealer to check

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot for your answers.

I will investigate this "issue" further and I will follow your advices.

Thanks again :)

·
Super Moderator
2,538 Posts
The fan will almost never come on while underway. It's really only needed during extended stops or stop and go when there's no airflow for the radiator.
That was my point - mine is never running after I shut off the bike.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In nearly 17,000 miles (27,359 km), I’ve never heard my fan running and I ride hard for hours on end.
It's been 15000 kms ... nd my coolent hasn't gone ,,not even a lil bit ... never topped up ... is it normal ?

·
Registered
365 Posts
It's been 15000 kms ... nd my coolent hasn't gone ,,not even a lil bit ... never topped up ... is it normal ?
Yes, if there are no leaks and the radiator cap is in good condition, there should be no need to add coolant.

As for the fan, the fan on the N300 is not very loud. Start the bike and leave it idling. After some minutes it will start. If it doesn't the red temp light on the cluster will turn on.

The fan is not needed when the bike is moving. Some people remove the fan on their track bikes to make it lighter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts