Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks!

Been a while since I've been on here. Bought a brand new 636 in February, folded it and got a helicopter ride, and I'm back to good ol reliable 300. Stupid crash, my fault, learned my lesson, blah blah you guys know how it is. But were good, no life altering injuries, and I'm back and smarter.

Anyway, was ripping the 300 through one of my favorite roads through a small mountain range today, and for the first time ever I got an engine temp light. It was a very spirited ride, 8-13k the entire way, lots of 2nd gear turns, even a few 1st gear ones out here. Steep mountain grades. About 100F today, not much wind, and at 7000' altitude.

Never had a temp light out there before, and the bike didn't misbehave or anything, I finished the climb up the mountain at lower rpms after noticing the light, and then put it in 6th the way down the other side until temp light went off. No smoke or anything. I don't even know how long the light was on, I had my eyes on the road.

Radiator looks a little mangled, but it's never been a problem. Is it worth straightening out some fins and giving it a good cleaning off the bike maybe? It's been a while since I put fresh coolant in too, maybe it's due for a flush and fresh EI. Might just be the limitations of a tiny radiator and high, hot, tight roads too. But if there's things to fix I might as well try. I don't think its an issue ( because it never has been) but I can check for solids in my coolant.

If it's of interest, its a '14 with 40k miles on it. Lots of my own labor and love in it, lol.
Should I maybe consider xW-50 oil instead of 40 for my temps and summer riding here in Arizona? The manual recommends 10w-40 up to 104F, but on top of that, I use it pretty aggressively. I don't think thicker oil would help with cooling, but it's probably better overall. I always do a thorough warm-up and easy riding from a cold start, especially with the mileage on it.

Any tips for keeping cool in just desert heat at high altitude? Things that matter way more than you might think?
My 636 handled the heat really well buuuuut its gone, lol.

Thanks in advance folks. Can't wait to hit the track this winter.
-Mike

·
Registered
406 Posts
Glad you're fully recovered.

Re the temp light, had I been you, I would have turned off the bike and waited 10 mins to cool it down and then ride it home only if the light stayed off. If the light stayed on, I would have towed the bike.

Anyways, same thing happened to me once. Regular ride on the streets. Don't remember if it was particularly hot(it's always hot here in Florida). Temp light came on. Turned off the bike, waited ten minutes, started the bike again and light was off. Rode my bike home at low rpm's and turned the engine off on every red light I got caught in.
At home, checked the coolant, checked the radiator, fan was starting normally, and the temp light never came back on. I kept on eye on it for the next rides and it didn't happened again.
I ended up thinking that the temp sensor had a malfunction that day. That was several thousands miles ago.

Related to this, it's also a good habit to check that all the warning lights actually do turn on when you turn on the ignition key. If one of those burns out, it will obviously never tell you a problem if it arises. Not everybody does that.

Hope your problem will be as easy as mine to resolve. And keep the shiny side up.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

Upon seeing the light, I did a quick visual sweep of the bike while riding. Checking for coolant vomiting out, smoke, strange exhaust, oil leak, anything that might be related, and there was nothing. This is why i continued to ride without stopping, and figured my best bet was to keep the air flowing and the water pump spinning. Wish the N300 had a temp gauge...

Of course I got home after it had turned off mid-ride shortly after the incident, and inspected the bike. Everything looked normal.
I have not closely checked that every warning light turns on when I turn the key, but every time I turn it, the regular christmas tree of lights seems to come on, including the temp light, which I know for sure works because I did check that one.

About a tank later, it did seem a little low on oil - but thats nothing new on my 300, with 40k miles on it. It slowly consumes oil at a non-alarming rate, so the other day I topped it off. To clarify, yes, it may have been a tad low during the overheating, but still well within the range on the view glass, and no leaks.

Fan still works too. Never had an issue with it wading through city traffic either, just this one time in the mountains. I've since ridden it a couple more times, and it seems fine, but I think taking the radiator out and doing a thorough cleaning, inside and out, is a good idea anyhow.

Thanks for the suggestions, open to more.
Edit: going to go ride that same route today on a slightly cooler day, but with a friend, so we will probably go a bit slower, should be fine, but I guess I will see.

-Mike

·
Registered
59 Posts
What type of coolant are you using? Maybe step up to Engine Ice. When I had the ECU flashed, I had the option of having the fan come on at 195 or 205. I choose 205.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mentioned in the initial post that I have been using engine ice. Love it, I used it in all my bikes, never seen even a blip of a problem ever. Plus I like the lower toxicity, I always get stuff all over my hands when working on the bike so thats a plus.

Why would you choose the later temp? Well maybe you don't ride in the heat I do, lol. If it was me, earlier is better in Arizona. Do you know the default temp it comes on at by any chance?
Thanks for the reply.

-Mike

·
Registered
59 Posts
Oopps didn’t notice that you were using engine ice in the 1st post. Maybe it’s time for a refresh. I know that in my Gixxer’s the fan comes on at 220 degrees. Not sure about the 300 but I assume it’s around the same or pretty close. I am in the northeast and we don't get as hot as Arizona. I figured 205 would be fine. I have done a few track days on the 300 and zero issues. Like you said it would be nice to have a temp gauge.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed. Mine has done very well at the track also, even in 100 degree weather. But on the track I also get up to maybe 95 on the straights, so it has plenty of air to cool down.

Anyone have any recommendations for cleaning out the radiator? Any chemicals you guys have used with success?
Thanks for the replies.

-Mike

·
Registered
59 Posts
One of the tracks we hit, Summit Point in WV, I have seen a solid 110mph pretty consistent and 120mph on the 400! The front straight is pretty long and you come on too it with good speed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One of the tracks we hit, Summit Point in WV, I have seen a solid 110mph pretty consistent and 120mph on the 400! The front straight is pretty long and you come on too it with good speed.

Ah man, here in AZ the heat and sometimes altitude just kills engines in general. Lack of power is crazy. My car, my bikes, other fuel powered toys I have, they all lose a significant amount of power over here. My track is in Phoenix though, which is a little over 1000ft above sea level on average, but the heat thins out the air. And thus you rider it harder, and push it harder, and it overheats more easily.

My real home town is seattle, and the air density and temps there are perfect for motorsports of any kind. Wish thats how it was everywhere... Lol.

-Mike

·
Registered
533 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey folks!

Been a while since I've been on here. Bought a brand new 636 in February, folded it and got a helicopter ride, and I'm back to good ol reliable 300. Stupid crash, my fault, learned my lesson, blah blah you guys know how it is. But were good, no life altering injuries, and I'm back and smarter.

Anyway, was ripping the 300 through one of my favorite roads through a small mountain range today, and for the first time ever I got an engine temp light. It was a very spirited ride, 8-13k the entire way, lots of 2nd gear turns, even a few 1st gear ones out here. Steep mountain grades. About 100F today, not much wind, and at 7000' altitude.

Never had a temp light out there before, and the bike didn't misbehave or anything, I finished the climb up the mountain at lower rpms after noticing the light, and then put it in 6th the way down the other side until temp light went off. No smoke or anything. I don't even know how long the light was on, I had my eyes on the road.

Radiator looks a little mangled, but it's never been a problem. Is it worth straightening out some fins and giving it a good cleaning off the bike maybe? It's been a while since I put fresh coolant in too, maybe it's due for a flush and fresh EI. Might just be the limitations of a tiny radiator and high, hot, tight roads too. But if there's things to fix I might as well try. I don't think its an issue ( because it never has been) but I can check for solids in my coolant.

If it's of interest, its a '14 with 40k miles on it. Lots of my own labor and love in it, lol.
Should I maybe consider xW-50 oil instead of 40 for my temps and summer riding here in Arizona? The manual recommends 10w-40 up to 104F, but on top of that, I use it pretty aggressively. I don't think thicker oil would help with cooling, but it's probably better overall. I always do a thorough warm-up and easy riding from a cold start, especially with the mileage on it.

Any tips for keeping cool in just desert heat at high altitude? Things that matter way more than you might think?
My 636 handled the heat really well buuuuut its gone, lol.

Thanks in advance folks. Can't wait to hit the track this winter.
-Mike
I live in az as well, i use 20-50 in the summer and switch back to 10-40 in the winter. I rode from Mesa to payson up the 87 in may with no problems. Ive only had the abs light come on once but never found out why. I also have a '14 but way way less miles, just over 9000.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts