Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no damn idea why, but for some reason when I ride this bike, almost everyone is trying to race me. Almost every time I pull up to a red light, no matter what POS is next to me or whatever gender/race or whatever, people try to gun it as hard as they can to get ahead of me off the light. I realized something was up when I was at a red light next to an old beat Astrovan and as the light turns green I take off as I normally do and see the same van that was next to me haul ass as hard as it could then slow down as it gets 20' in front of me and then proceeds to drive normally. In my Camaro the only people who really tried this kinda stuff were pickup trucks and tiny little Civics. But on this bike, nearly everyone tries this. Another example was I was at a light and was the 3rd vehicle back. There was an Altima in the lane to my right who was at the front. At the green light the Altima takes off normally and goes on it's merry way. As we head down on towards the next light, the two guys ahead of me make their left turns and by the time I reach the next red light it's just me and the Altima at the front of the line, side by side. I never looked at them, revved my lawn mower engine or anything to incite a race. When the light turns green the altima out of nowhere guns it like they're running from the zombie apocalypse and tries to get me off the line.

I'm not even trying to do launches at lights, but for some reason when I get next to people, they all of a sudden are. It's absolutely mind boggling what the hell is going through these people's minds. It's not something they do all the time too, because I'll see them at other intersections when I'm a few vehicles back and they don't do it. When I'm at a light next to them, they all of a sudden think it's a drag race. :mad: Is it just happening to me? Is California really that nuts? In Arizona if this happened, I could lose my bike if a cop sees it as it looks like I'm racing the other vehicle. I don't condone road racing or drag racing on public roads and find this behavior from other drivers a bit disturbing.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I've only really been out once so far, but I did have a Civic hatchback with a stupid loud muffler do something like that. I just drove normally. That thing was louder than fast anyways.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Happens to me too.

And yes, we're pretty much all nuts here.

;)

Sent from my iPod touch using MO Free

·
Registered
805 Posts
People see bikes and assume fast so they want to prove something to themselves like idiots. Although sometimes it's the opposite this guy in this g35 happened to be going to buy protein while I was headed to work he saw me revved his engine but when the light turned he took off normally when we both got to my work I said "man I thought u were actually gonna try and take off all crazy to race" all he said was "fuck that you're on a motorcycle i would get smoked and look dumb"

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
993 Posts
LOL! I have had this happen to me a few times, last night while I was driving normally along at 40mph (posted limit on this street) a new vette comes up quickly on my left and slows down to be along side me, he then revs it a couple of times and jerks ahead a couple of feet and the falls back even with me. I let it go and even slowed to 35, after a couple of more revs and jerks he finally got the message I wasn't goin to race him.
I do however have a itchy twist of the wrist on take off at most stop lights, I don't break traction, or accellerate dangerously, but manage to hit the speed limits shortly after exiting the intersection and then keep it at the speed limit. Its kinda a survival thing for me, if the cars are all behind me a ways I feel safer, but usually some duffus speeds and catches me anyway and blasts past me doing 20mph over, so I guess its really usless for me to jumpstart my stoplights.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yeah, happens to me about 75% of the time at stop lights here in California. I always launch proper to stay out front- it is just where I like to be.

*Disclaimer- I am an idiot*
But when I do get the over zealous driver who really wants to race, I show them that they are dumb. I will launch and quick shift up to 70+mph and look behind me egging them on. Then play with them in traffic just to show them that are not fast in their stock Scions or whatever. Or leave them stuck at some traffic light because they were not quick enough to catch the green.

I don't care if it is obnoxious, I am just being myself, a dumb ass accident waiting to happen.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Haha I experienced the exact same thing when I went for a ride in meh friend's super ricey civic.

Nobody ever even looks at me let alone challenges me, I even rev if there's Mustangs beside me and it just ends up with me doing a 1st/2nd gear pull then look back to see they're just crawling their way up to the speedlimit.

It was mindboggling to see every SUV/Van/Car trying to race my friend Haha

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hahaha yup we californians are like that . Ive had my share of people do that ive had cars that i have knonwn ill smoke them and race um and get them. Then theres neen cars that i kno they will smoke me with them i take a pass hahaha rather not look like a jackass

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I usually "get to the speed limit quickly" as well. But I'm not revving the engine, doing a 3k launch or any other crazy thing to signify it. I'm just using a motorcycle's strengths but quite a few people seem to lose their minds. It's gotten kinda dangerous a few times too. Last night on the way to the mall to eat dinner with my family, had a guy in a pickup truck gun it from it from the right turn only lane through the intersection to the other side of the intersection next to me. I'm ready to go to the right lane and make my right hand turn to the mall and notice that pickup truck is right in the lane to my right behind me and he's doing his damnedest to speed up and prevent me from getting into the right lane. I see ahead and notice in his lane that a car pulled in front of him form the first mall entrance and knew I'd have a chance to ditch the idiot. Sure enough, the pickup truck was forced to slam onto his brakes and I was able to get around the slower car and into the next mall entranceway. I shouldn't have to make everything a damn James Bond movie just to get by somewhere because people are being ass holes. Almost every time I try and change lanes, I head check and see people react to it by gunning it. Then when I decide to let the idiot go past so I can get in behind them, they slow down right next to me and try and cruise next to me and block me. When I slow down they slow down further and when I speed up they try and speed up. Have had incidents where people have tried putting me into a wall on an ending lane and I'll have to thread the needle or eat said wall. Thank God this bike can accelerate quicker than most cars can at lower speeds.

Starting to see why Californians don't like firearms very much at all. So many people here deserve bullets for the stupid crap they do to other people that don't fly pretty much anywhere else. :(

·
Registered
506 Posts
I've never actually experienced this...but then again, I usually filter up front -> leave the line and get up to speed limit ASAP. It's rare that a car is pacing me. I usually check behind me after leaving the line just to make sure no asshole is tail gating me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
ahaan ! i thought it was just me, but yes this happens to me more than 50% of the time here in SD. even folks in their mini-vans race it just to get past and then start to drive normally ..

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've never actually experienced this...but then again, I usually filter up front -> leave the line and get up to speed limit ASAP. It's rare that a car is pacing me. I usually check behind me after leaving the line just to make sure no asshole is tail gating me.
Same, I check behind myself a lot for cops too (a lot.) I wonder sometimes how many other drivers think to themselves "what is this asshole looking back at me for?" To which I remind myself, to make sure your not having any bright ideas about catching up to me :D

·
Registered
490 Posts
I normally don't lane split at traffic lights and wait in traffic.I try and get behind the fastest cars lane.(You judge on the approach).and then when he takes off at max revs I just stick with him.normally I'm long gone if I'm infront but sometimes someone tries their luck and let them think that its an even match.a lot of guys who want to race normally own toyota corollas or vw golfs 2 or 3 where I come from.their cheap to pimp up here so that's what all the racer wannabes get.theyre fun to toy with.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Happens all the time. Me personally I have a mental list of vehicles that I'll indulge.

Astro vans, civics, pickups, etc... - Not worth it.

Pull up in a corvette, Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari, or soemthing exotic like that, I'll have a little fun. Nothing stupid outrageous but I'll shoot off the line if there's open road ahead.

I don't know what it is about the tuner punks in their old beat up Hondas. They swear that jalopy is something to talk about. It is hilarious the cars I see missing fenders or bumpers, side view mirrors hanging off. But they have a shiny loud Autozone muffler with a cool skull shift knob! LOL

·
Registered
101 Posts
Happens all the time. Me personally I have a mental list of vehicles that I'll indulge.

Astro vans, civics, pickups, etc... - Not worth it.

Pull up in a corvette, Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari, or soemthing exotic like that, I'll have a little fun. Nothing stupid outrageous but I'll shoot off the line if there's open road ahead.

I don't know what it is about the tuner punks in their old beat up Hondas. They swear that jalopy is something to talk about. It is hilarious the cars I see missing fenders or bumpers, side view mirrors hanging off. But they have a shiny loud Autozone muffler with a cool skull shift knob! LOL
+1! Lol I get that from those little Hondas all the time, especially from those high school kids! On top of that they usually they don't even know what's under their own hood :p

·
Registered
132 Posts
Haha I experienced the exact same thing when I went for a ride in meh friend's super ricey civic.

Nobody ever even looks at me let alone challenges me, I even rev if there's Mustangs beside me and it just ends up with me doing a 1st/2nd gear pull then look back to see they're just crawling their way up to the speedlimit.

It was mindboggling to see every SUV/Van/Car trying to race my friend Haha
Were Conserving GAS ;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
It happens to me all the time as well...

I think it's just because the bike looks fast, and sounds loud, so they assume you're out to race. I've owned modified cars with loud exhausts and it's the same thing, people want to test you. I don't know what it is.

I usually don't "race" anyone, and the bike is fast enough to leave most cars, but I did have one idiot in a lowered celica literally burning rubber at each light to stay next to me as I was riding like normal... Eventually I made a fool out of him, just to teach him a lesson.

-THE DON

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
The only interaction I've had with cagers is them trying to push into my lane. None have ever tried to race... probably because I'm already flying past them.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts