Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
That washer is designed to be crushed slightly when put on so that you get a tight seal. By reusing it, you risk it not sealing as tightly and leaking oil. They're cheap. Just buy a bunch of them at once to keep around.

ETA: I have reused them without a problem though.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
The book says to replace the oil drain bolt gasket when you change the oil, is there any reason to actually do this (unless it's damaged)?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Short answer........no.

I have never replaced any of my washers/gaskets on the oil drain on any of my vehicles, bikes or cars. I was going to do the one on my current car at my last oil change, as it was leaking.......then just realised I forgot to do it up with the socket, I only tightened it by hand. :eek:

Not normally something you need to replace for a long time. Would just be Kawasaki's way of getting you to spend a couple bucks on parts.

EDIT: I would be surprised if any dealerships even use new gaskets when they do it either, they would just reuse the same one and if it starts leaking then they would replace it. Dont fix nothing that aint broke. But as tfkrocks mentioned, they are pretty cheap and is always handy to have a few on hand just in case you ever do develop a leak.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I was leaning towards. We've never replaced them on anything before, just wanted to see what others do. I was surprised to see that in the book they want you to replace it each time.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thread jacking here with another quick oil change question...so i completely forgot to put the drain bolt washer back on...will it be safe to ride around until i change my oil in around 500 miles or so? if its not leaking

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah that's what I'm going to do. If I see it leaking I think that I'm going to take the bolt out and plug it real quick, slip the washer on the bolt and try to put it back in and replace the lost oil. I don't know how well that will work, if it comes down to it looks like i'll just be getting another oil change a little quicker than expected.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Thread jacking here with another quick oil change question...so i completely forgot to put the drain bolt washer back on...will it be safe to ride around until i change my oil in around 500 miles or so? if its not leaking
As long as its not leaking you should be fine, as tfkrocks mentioned, its a crush washer which is meant to seal and prevent leaks. But I hate to find out its leaking by running over my own oil if you know what I mean.:eek:

·
Banned
277 Posts
I use a fumoto valve so I only had to change the washer once. The longest part of my oil change is waiting for it to drain and then fill.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
A crush washer is designed to be used once. Once torqued down, when you undo the torque you're supposed to replace it. Otherwise it's going to take more torque than before to get the proper seal. It's never good to over torque and you can damage the threads and fatigue the metal more than needed to. It's a dirt cheap part. Most of you are willing to piss money away on premium gas but wont spend the $1.25 if that on a new crush washer on an oil change that's done every 10-20k or waste more money changing your oil every 4-5k? I just don't get this crazy mentality some times. I see people throwing money left and right at their bikes but lose their minds when it comes to replacing gaskets and washers and other consumable hardware.

·
Banned
277 Posts
For those interested in the Fumoto drain valve you can find the correct model(F-109) here:

·
Registered
958 Posts
They cost $1 each at the dealer and I have a couple on hand, but I've never replaced one and never had a leak. Weird about those oil bolt torque specs cause I have had first oil changes where the bolt practically unscrewed all by itself and others where I had to take a breaker bar to get the thing off. If the bolt did leak, you could replace the washer without losing much oil as has been suggested though. Same with the oil filter. I have replaced oil filters between regular oil changes and then just topped off the oil for the little that was lost.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts