Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding around my town now for the past few weeks, just getting used to and enjoying the ride, but, as I am a new rider, I have dropped her twice (once from standstill when I thought my kickstand was fully down; it wasn't - and once from accidentally pulling the front break in the middle of an uphill turn into my driveway at 1 mph). Both times that I had dropped her, I noticed an alarming amount of gas pouring from the gas cap and immediately picked the bike back up each time. I asked a friend who only rides around on dirt bikes if it was normal and he said it was normal for that to happen but I wanted to confirm with everyone here. She's a 2014 Ninja 300 ABS with the engine being the only replacement (2016 engine).

tl:dr; Is it normal for gas to pour out of the gas cap when the bike is on its side, or does the gas tank need to be pressurized with a proper seal from the cap?

·
Super Moderator
2,602 Posts
It's normal for it to come out of the overflow hose at the bottom of the bike (it's the black hose near the brake). I've never seen it come out of the cap and would think if gas can come out, then wouldn't that also allow water in?

@MAL, @Topaz, @SparkyMJ, @iahawk - you guys ever see this happen?

·
Registered
482 Posts
I don't know. I've never dropped the N300. I've managed to drop pretty much every other bike I've had and never got gas coming out of the tank, but I can't tell about the N300.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. I'm going to be getting a new gas cap, after all. The constant smell of gasoline was driving me nuts whenever I tucked in.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Before ordering a new one, I would take it out and take a look. Maybe you just need to replace a gasket.

Also, the gas cap key lock is paired with the ignition and the passenger seat locks, so if you get a new cap you'll have to re key it or ride around with two keys.

Another option is to get an aftermarket keyless gas tank cap. It would be lighter and more practical. However, you run the risk of someone stealing you gas (not very probably), or some destructive mind pouring something into your tank just to make damage. It depends where you live and where you park the bike.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I can't see any gasket in the diagram:
2013 Kawasaki NINJA 300 (EX300ADF) Fuel Tank (Adf-Aef) | Babbitts Kawasaki Partshouse

However, there is an overflow line from the hole in the tank where the cap seats, to the left side of the tank. I would check that that line is fit and in good condition.
I would also check that the cap bolts are tight.
If you take out the cap, pay attention to the bolts pattern. They are a bit tricky. Maybe take a picture or two as you take it apart.

·
Registered
332 Posts
funny, I read the OP and didn't answer because I had no idea! I just looked at my gas cap and there is a rubber gasket that seals the filler neck when the cap is closed. I'd look to see if that is present and intact. It doesn't seem logical that gas would pour out of the filler cap when dropped,

·
Registered
144 Posts
My understanding is it is not supposed to drip out of the cap ever. When the pressure in the tank is too high from gasoline vapors, it will vent through the little hole and second gasket if you look closely. It's a small hole. I supposed in a drop or crash, a small amount of liquid gas could come through this vent hole, especially if you have a non-california model. Take lid gaskets come and go. I know mine is mediocre, if I ride in the rain for a long time, I do get water in my tank. My lid gasket is visibly crusty, so that's on me lol.

My bike has been dropped by previous owners, and I have seen it in person a few times myself, and never did liquid gas ever come out the top of the tank, and mine is non-CA model.

I thought the gasket was replaceable, but it appears not to be so. Lame. Do note though that there is a CA and non CA tank cap. IIRC the CA tank cap prevents gas vapors from escaping without going through the charcoal filter.

-Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took another look at the gas cap, and there is a rubber gasket but I noticed that the gas cap, when closing, isn't centered properly. Closing the gas cap results in the cap being shifted forward and to the right. There's definitely an opening gap on the rear-side of the gas tank opening where the gasket isn't making a seal.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the cap seems shifted from the hinge and I can't force it to try and center it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Edit: I forgot to mention, the cap seems shifted from the hinge and I can't force it to try and center it.
Interesting you say that, my cap has always been ill-centered as well. However, my seal seems to be usable still. Maybe it was bumped or leveraged one day by a gas pump or something, I am usually very careful when fueling to not rub/bend/damage any lid parts.

You may be looking at a new cap most likely. There are some racing style caps that look really nice, but you lose the ability to lock them. Depending on where you live and ride though, this may not be a concern. Sometimes a cap that is just unintuitive to open to a random person would be enough to stop them figuring out how to get in. On that note, getting a new cap key-matched is a pain. When my cap takes a dump, I will likely get a race cap and just live with it not locking.

Just keep that in mind that key matching or getting new keys and/or matching new keys to your current ignition will be annoying. You could also try to find a gasoline safe, matching seal. Might be the most economical, if your cap still lines up good enough... Best of luck.
-Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thankfully, I'm not too concerned with my gas cap not having a lock as I never let my bike stay out of site long enough for someone to try to siphon the gas. I think I will be going with a racing cap, but since I'm entirely new to the market, would you happen to have any recommendations (at least one for most economical and one that's ideal so I can have a good understanding of what is considered preferred)?

·
Registered
482 Posts
I can tell you which one to avoid: SSR. I have the SSR gas cap and it has a similar problem as your stock one. The seal is not good. I never dropped the bike, but if the tank is close to full, in a hard brake, (as at the end of every straight at the track), the gas moves forward in the tank and spills out of the tank a bit. Now I keep my tank only half full at the most at the track.
I contacted SSR and for $10 they sent me a new seal. The problem diminished, but didn't go completely away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts