Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

New rider here, and I'm looking at jacket options. I'm stuck between whether to get a perforated jacket or not.

I live in Monterey, pretty mild all year long, and doesn't get above 80 very often, but can get pretty cold some days, especially at night (go figure).

Just looking for some opinions.

Thanks in advance,

americigerm

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
If you never leave the Bay area, then a regular leather jacket would be fine. You're going to need perf during the summer if you head inland more. Riding along route 66 or through the inland empire during the summer in a regular leather jacket will probably give you a heat injury of some sort. The cool thing about a lot of perforated jackets is that many of them have either a windproof liner or a warm insulated liner that can be added in for colder days. This way you have the option for both. Just remember, you're going to want to buy rain gear since many leather setups are not water proof.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
My perforated leather jacket ends up being too cold more often than not for me. You'd probably be ok with a regular jacket. The few days of heat won't be too bad considering how often it's cold. Even after a relatively hot day, it will end up being pretty cold at night anyway, especially on the highway. The zip-in liner in my jacket doesn't do shit lol. I make it manageable by layering on a lot of stuff underneath, but I'd rather have a regular jacket later on.

Also, I spend most of my week in Monterey. My bike isn't down here, but we should hang out anyway haha.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I'm in Southern California and I have a Dainese Avro race suit (they make just the jacket too) It's not perforated and I've only had if for a few months and I've never been really hot in it yet. The hottest I rode in is almost 80 degrees, and it was still comfortable. If anything I usually wear another layer underneath if it's 60 or below. You have to remember even in a race suit, there is leather on the outsides where you would land, but in areas like under your arms, between your legs and your ribs, it's a breathable flex fabric that lets a good amount of air in. Plus it has what they call a bubble liner that flows air around your body, so if your moving you'll never get hot. Also I just wear an AlpineStars summer under suit under it, maybe add a thermal shirt if it's below 60.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for all of the answers guys. I've been looking at Icon jackets, and they seem to be a good medium of price and quality.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I live in fresno and use the icon branson jacket. during the colder rides at 70 and under you will want to have something longsleve under it but at 95 I was just fine a bit hot but not unbarble.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hey wats up bro im in salinas. I always wear a carnhart jacket the weather we get out here is not too bad usually im always riding to fort ord to work wat color bike do u have i havent seen too many 300s out here

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey wats up bro im in salinas. I always wear a carnhart jacket the weather we get out here is not too bad usually im always riding to fort ord to work wat color bike do u have i havent seen too many 300s out here
I've yet to get one. I hopefully will be getting to it before summer starts, but I have some finances I have to settle first.

So it's not perforated? Right?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Ohh u dont have it yet. Well when u do get it let me know so we can meet up for a cruise. No the one i have isnt perforated. I just went to cycle gear in gilroy they have alot of good deals on jackets

1 - 10 of 10 Posts