Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, is it possible? I'd imagine it is, but does it cost a lot? I mean, You can find Ninja 300's around 3500$ where as for most ABS models they are a couple grand more...

Does anyone know if this is possible? Or even really realistically feasible?

EDIT: I hope this isn't the wrong sub forum.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ABS model of the N-3 from a dealer is only $500 more so if anyone is trying to get 2grand more for a used ABS model, they are overpriced.
Well, even MSRP is only a 200 difference, but I can't find anything below 4800 in the Phoenix area that has ABS, but I can find ones without ABS for less than 4k all day.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
The ABS model of the N-3 from a dealer is only $500 more so if anyone is trying to get 2grand more for a used ABS model, they are overpriced.
The problem you get into is that the sum of the parts and labor is much more than $500 when you do it post manufacture. So you're going to see the ABS models maintain a much higher price in the used market than the non-ABS since a person buying all of the ABS model parts and getting them installed will exceed the general average price difference between the ABS and non-ABS bikes on the USED market. If buying new, then I would agree with you. The stealership can burn in hell for all I care. But in the used market, things get a bit more complicated. Especially in the 2013 model year as ABS was much more rare than will be the case for the 2014 model year. The two dealerships I talked to said they sold on average 1 ABS model for every 10 non-ABS model in 2012-2013 for the 2013 model year. It's also down to geographical location as well. Some places were able to get more bikes so your used market will have a higher saturation of them and therefore, lower average prices.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The problem you get into is that the sum of the parts and labor is much more than $500 when you do it post manufacture. So you're going to see the ABS models maintain a much higher price in the used market than the non-ABS since a person buying all of the ABS model parts and getting them installed will exceed the general average price difference between the ABS and non-ABS bikes on the USED market. If buying new, then I would agree with you. The stealership can burn in hell for all I care. But in the used market, things get a bit more complicated. Especially in the 2013 model year as ABS was much more rare than will be the case for the 2014 model year. The two dealerships I talked to said they sold on average 1 ABS model for every 10 non-ABS model in 2012-2013 for the 2013 model year. It's also down to geographical location as well. Some places were able to get more bikes so your used market will have a higher saturation of them and therefore, lower average prices.
Ahhhh. That explains it! Thanks!

Do you think I could put ABS on there even though it might be a used bike and it wasn't make with ABS?

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
I meant a brand new ABS from the dealer is $500 more than a non abs from the dealer. I never meant as in someone buying a non ABS and installing ABS themselves. I only meant as if someone bought a ABS model from the dealer, and then was trying to sell it for 2grand more when they only paid $500 more for it. I don't know why someone would want to pay all that extra money to put ABS to a non ABS model. Just buy a ABS model if you want ABS.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Ahhhh. That explains it! Thanks!

Do you think I could put ABS on there even though it might be a used bike and it wasn't make with ABS?
From the little compare and contrast of the IPBs of both models, there isn't anything inherently different on the frame or structural level that would preclude you from buying all of the OEM ABS oriented parts and putting them onto a non-ABS bike. It would be quite a list of parts as you have;

-ABS hydraulic pump
-New brake lines
-New brake caliper assemblies at the front and rear
-All supporting brackets for mounting all of the extra lines and hydraulic unit
-New rear rotor and new front rotor hub and speed sensors to relay back to the ABS unit.
-Maybe a new fuse for the hydraulic unit and sensors. I don't know off hand what the amperage rating for the hydraulic unit is so I can't remember if the spares would work or not.

That's all I can think up of off the top of my head right now and I'm sure I probably missed something. I believe the non-ABS bikes still have the bulb and connections for the ABS light in the dash and just doesn't have the electrical wiring from the ABS unit to the dash to light the light up. If they are truly two different meter units, that's going to be VERY expensive to replace just for a little light.

As you can see, that's a lot of parts and potential labor to add these things on and where you can start to see a fairly large price difference between the ABS and non-ABS models on the used market. This is why I always tell people that if there's an electronic aid or feature on a new bike that they want, they better buy it WITH the bike while it's new as adding it on afterwards can be 2x-4x more expensive after the fact.

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I meant a brand new ABS from the dealer is $500 more than a non abs from the dealer. I never meant as in someone buying a non ABS and installing ABS themselves. I only meant as if someone bought a ABS model from the dealer, and then was trying to sell it for 2grand more when they only paid $500 more for it. I don't know why someone would want to pay all that extra money to put ABS to a non ABS model. Just buy a ABS model if you want ABS.
As I explained in my post, the price difference when new is going to be much more different than when you get to the used market. With a used bike, you have to take into consideration how much it would take to add that feature onto a featureless bike and that will generally be the relative difference in price. For example, a quick browse of local sales and I see the non-ABS bikes going for about $3,600 or so and the ABS models going for around $4,200. In this case, this would still be a steal as I believe the cost of adding ABS onto the non-ABS bike is greater than the $600 difference in price in my local area.

Once the 2013 models are all gone, you'll notice a much wider gap in pricing as the ABS models are rarer than the non-ABS models and you wont have the option of getting a 2013 model new anymore.

I don't think the OP was talking about someone buying a brand new ABS model for $5800 and selling it for $7800. I believe the OP was commenting more on the fact that the depreciation between the two models didn't scale similarly from the price difference new to what it is currently used. I was explaining one very possible reason why you would notice such a large difference between the two, after the fact.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As I explained in my post, the price difference when new is going to be much more different than when you get to the used market. With a used bike, you have to take into consideration how much it would take to add that feature onto a featureless bike and that will generally be the relative difference in price. For example, a quick browse of local sales and I see the non-ABS bikes going for about $3,600 or so and the ABS models going for around $4,200. In this case, this would still be a steal as I believe the cost of adding ABS onto the non-ABS bike is greater than the $600 difference in price in my local area.

Once the 2013 models are all gone, you'll notice a much wider gap in pricing as the ABS models are rarer than the non-ABS models and you wont have the option of getting a 2013 model new anymore.

I don't think the OP was talking about someone buying a brand new ABS model for $5800 and selling it for $7800. I believe the OP was commenting more on the fact that the depreciation between the two models didn't scale similarly from the price difference new to what it is currently used. I was explaining one very possible reason why you would notice such a large difference between the two, after the fact.
Damn really only that much there? There are borderline 5000 for ABS here in AZ. :/

·
Registered
5,398 Posts

Indeed I understand what you said, but that still isn't really my point. My point is, if it's only $500 more from a dealer for ABS, why spend $2,000 more on a used bike with ABS?

As the title says, is it possible? I'd imagine it is, but does it cost a lot? I mean, You can find Ninja 300's around 3500$ where as for most ABS models they are a couple grand more..
He made it seem like he can buy a used non abs for $3,500, but a used model with ABS is $2,000 more. My OP was basically simply saying that is overpriced for a used ABS model as in a used ABS model SHOULD NOT cost $2,000 more all b/c it has ABS while the difference of a non abs model and a abs model from the dealer doesn't even equal $2,000 more.

According to Kawasaki.com, the non ABS 2014 model is MSRP of $4,999 while the MSRP of a ABS 2014 model is $5,299. That's a difference of $300. So my original point was, a USED ABS model being sold from a private owners should not cost $2,000 more than a non ABS model being sold by a private owner. As far as buying a non ABS, and installing your own ABS. That is going to cost WAY WAY WAY more than buying a used ABS model, or a new ABS model.

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
Parts alone I was halfway done and already over $800 and still have brackets and the rear to do. You would realistically be looking at around $1500 in just parts and probably another $600+ in labor.

so in other words, your better off if you want ABS on a 300 to buy one with it on their in the first place

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Parts alone I was halfway done and already over $800 and still have brackets and the rear to do. You would realistically be looking at around $1500 in just parts and probably another $600+ in labor.
Damn.. Yeah that is what I was looking for. Thanks for the help!

Maybe I'll come to California to get one? ;)

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Indeed I understand what you said, but that still isn't really my point. My point is, if it's only $500 more from a dealer for ABS, why spend $2,000 more on a used bike with ABS?

He made it seem like he can buy a used non abs for $3,500, but a used model with ABS is $2,000 more. My OP was basically simply saying that is overpriced for a used ABS model as in a used ABS model SHOULD NOT cost $2,000 more all b/c it has ABS while the difference of a non abs model and a abs model from the dealer doesn't even equal $2,000 more.

According to Kawasaki.com, the non ABS 2014 model is MSRP of $4,999 while the MSRP of a ABS 2014 model is $5,299. That's a difference of $300. So my original point was, a USED ABS model being sold from a private owners should not cost $2,000 more than a non ABS model being sold by a private owner. As fat as buying a non ABS, and installing your own ABS. That is going to cost WAY WAY WAY more than buying a used ABS model, or a new ABS model.
Your statement though means that you didn't fully read or understood what I said. The new and used markets ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT! In the used market it's purely supply and demand. As an owner of an ABS model bike, I CAN charge the difference in purchasing and installing of ABS equipment for my ABS bike and maybe knock a few hundred off. Because as the buyer, you only have 3(legal) choices if you want an ABS bike used. Pay me what I'm asking for(second cheapest option.) Go out and buy all of the components separately and install them(most expensive option.) Or go and try and get another bike. If the OP is for example seeing a $2k price difference on average, it means the owners of the ABS models aren't stupid and know roughly what it would cost to purchase and do all the work to make a non-ABS bike have ABS so they've inflated the price of ABS bikes because they can. Because in the end, the OP has only those 3 real choice in the matter. Buy the bike. Buy a non-ABS bike, buy the parts and retrofit the parts. Look for another bike. When buying new, the dealership can't leverage supply and demand at that scale due to a labeled MSRP which is there to protect the buyer. The used market doesn't have such protections at all.

It's the same general concept of people who bought PS4s when they first came out then flipped them for $4k right afterwards.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
According to Kawasaki.com, the non ABS 2014 model is MSRP of $4,999 while the MSRP of a ABS 2014 model is $5,299. That's a difference of $300. So my original point was, a USED ABS model being sold from a private owners should not cost $2,000 more than a non ABS model being sold by a private owner. As far as buying a non ABS, and installing your own ABS. That is going to cost WAY WAY WAY more than buying a used ABS model, or a new ABS model.
Right, but that is my whole point. That is the current market I am sitting in, and hence why I asked if it was realistically possible. And it doesn't look like it.. So I might be boned.. Not sure if I can get one now.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Your statement though means that you didn't fully read or understood what I said. The new and used markets ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT! In the used market it's purely supply and demand. As an owner of an ABS model bike, I CAN charge the difference in purchasing and installing of ABS equipment for my ABS bike and maybe knock a few hundred off. Because as the buyer, you only have 3(legal) choices if you want an ABS bike used. Pay me what I'm asking for(second cheapest option.) Go out and buy all of the components separately and install them(most expensive option.) Or go and try and get another bike. If the OP is for example seeing a $2k price difference on average, it means the owners of the ABS models aren't stupid and know roughly what it would cost to purchase and do all the work to make a non-ABS bike have ABS so they've inflated the price of ABS bikes because they can. Because in the end, the OP has only those 3 real choice in the matter. Buy the bike. Buy a non-ABS bike, buy the parts and retrofit the parts. Look for another bike. When buying new, the dealership can't leverage supply and demand at that scale due to a labeled MSRP which is there to protect the buyer. The used market doesn't have such protections at all.

It's the same general concept of people who bought PS4s when they first came out then flipped them for $4k right afterwards.
I understood enough to see that he's willing to pay $2,000 more for a used ABS model when it wouldn't cost that much extra on a brand new ABS model. That's all I was saying.

Well, even MSRP is only a 200 difference, but I can't find anything below 4800 in the Phoenix area that has ABS, but I can find ones without ABS for less than 4k all day.
That's more of my point too. If the demand is high in Phoenix, and there aren't many 300's with ABS, of course people are going to try to up the price. That doesn't mean it's really worth that extra money. If you want a used ABS model. I would just wait it out. You'll find a better deal eventually.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts