Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finished stator replacement. Dyi. ReLearning perfect bike for that. 2014

Now a new issue. Let bike warm up and run for about an hour with new stator. Not sure when exactly, but on test drive bike (maybe 50 ft.) ~5 miles out and lost all fluid. Just know didn't see light until then. Based on how long it took to come back on, hard to tell. temp light on. Clear coolant reservoir was completely empty.

Yes, returned back 5 miles. Without coolant, surprised temp light didn't come back on until 3miles back.

Finally back home, over-filled with coolant and first idle 10mins in (hot) the fluid is bubbling loud AF. Sounds like it's on top of reservoir. Temp light on now.

last- Keep in mind it has sat outside for over a year. With zero maintenance. Needing a stator only. Again seemed fine immediately after replacing stator, checked everything I can think. Until losing all fluid 5miles out or maybe 50feet. Not sure

Thanks in advance community for this forum and hopefully any ideas here!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Is the coolant being pushed out of the overflow bottle as it heats up?

If so, that's usually a sign of a blown head gasket.

Did it sit outside over a winter?
Two Winters and 1 Summer. Heart of the Midwest.

Uh, certainly not a head gasket. If so, rip.

Yeah probably bubbling was the reservoir naturally cause I had it filled to absolute top of said reservoir; air had to bleed out. Also was that full before the initial 5mile ride. So again, thermostat opened? or one big air bubble!!?

My bad she's good as new.
False alarm. Was simply air in loop; it seems all along or maybe thermostat. Most likely that's what caused the radiator reservoir to be "empty" on the 5mile drive without engine damage and oil even remaining newish (after 2 yrs).

For what it's worth: After 1st post- Started and stopped; cooled it off 2x. loosed both caps from system each time. Over-filled coolant reservoir returned to normal last ride (instead of appearing empty as before). I think it was air bubbles or maybe the thermostat opened. Don't know. Temp light hasn't come back on after 30mins idle at 3.5k! And a 20mi ride.

Will change oil/ routine maintenance this week if there's any other issues I will post back just for the record. Thclx

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
84' Goldwing Aspencade, 91' EX500, 98' Ninja 250 w/ 17' 300 engine, 07 EX500
224 Posts
Usually loc-tite isn't needed, I suspect it wasn't tightened afterwards.

But if you must use it, USE PURPLE 🟣🟣🟣

·
Premium Member
84' Goldwing Aspencade, 91' EX500, 98' Ninja 250 w/ 17' 300 engine, 07 EX500
224 Posts
Two Winters and 1 Summer. Heart of the Midwest.

Uh, certainly not a head gasket. If so, rip.

Yeah probably bubbling was the reservoir naturally cause I had it filled to absolute top of said reservoir; air had to bleed out. Also was that full before the initial 5mile ride. So again, thermostat opened? or one big air bubble!!?

My bad she's good as new.
False alarm. Was simply air in loop; it seems all along or maybe thermostat. Most likely that's what caused the radiator reservoir to be "empty" on the 5mile drive without engine damage and oil even remaining newish (after 2 yrs).

For what it's worth: After 1st post- Started and stopped; cooled it off 2x. loosed both caps from system each time. Over-filled coolant reservoir returned to normal last ride (instead of appearing empty as before). I think it was air bubbles or maybe the thermostat opened. Don't know. Temp light hasn't come back on after 30mins idle at 3.5k! And a 20mi ride.

Will change oil/ routine maintenance this week if there's any other issues I will post back just for the record. Thclx
I have this kit, it works great for the price, and bleeds the coolant system nicely.

EPAuto Spill Proof Radiator Coolant Filling Funnel Kit https://a.co/d/a2VJkZm

Drinkware Automotive tire Barware Automotive design Motor vehicle

A "MUST HAVE" tool IMHO

1 - 9 of 9 Posts