Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and Gents,

Upon buying my brand new SE 300 non-abs, I have come to a cross roads of indecision. The manual specifically states "0-500 Miles Maximum RPM 4000 r/min and 500-1000 Miles Maximum RPM 6000 r/min". Okay so the manual says to baby the thing, but then theres videos like this on youtube (
) , with the guy redlining it for his "break in period". Which is right?:confused: I can only remember the dealer saying to vary the rpm ranges and not to maintain a steady high speed for multiple amounts of time and to let the engine cool and reheat for all the parts to seat correctly. This is my new baby and I want to do it right!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I can't speak for all but I would find it very difficult to stay below that rpm especially if you had to take it on the freeway riding it home from the dealership...I personally rode it like I stole it straight from the dealership...I always let it warm up to get the oil through the engine then ride it like I would normally...I'm well over 500mi and have had no problems with the engine...I think as long as you don't race the engine without letting it properly warm up you should be fine.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I did a hard break in similar to this, first couple hundred miles i revved/pulled from idle and engine brake to about 4k. Rpms max to about 10k and a few times to red line. I also used non synthetic for the first 300 and changed my oil at 50, 100, 300 miles and 1k. At 1700 miles now and she runs great, average 60 mpg that could be better but i wring it out a bit.

I do not agree with hitting your top speed during the break in. Engine doesn't much care what gear you are in, you can accomplish the same thing at lower speeds.
or
the way hes reving so high in low gears without much load.

slower, more gradual pulling and decel, your not trying to brick the engine (or maybe you are) just seat some rings.

Im sure someone will swoop in here and tell you about the 10,000 threads already about this and "to do your homework" I did, but i still questioned which way to go. I'm happy with it and believe it was the right way. i have worked on most anything between cars and weed wackers for about 15 years.

Ride the bike for 30 seconds and you will understand why the idea of keeping it under 4k for 10+ hours is absurd.

Find out if your engine is a keeper sooner than later. Holler at your warranty if its not.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did a hard break in similar to this, first couple hundred miles i revved/pulled from idle and engine brake to about 4k. Rpms max to about 10k and a few times to red line. I also used non synthetic for the first 300 and changed my oil at 50, 100, 300 miles and 1k. At 1700 miles now and she runs great, average 60 mpg that could be better but i wring it out a bit.

I do not agree with hitting your top speed during the break in. Engine doesn't much care what gear you are in, you can accomplish the same thing at lower speeds.
or
the way hes reving so high in low gears without much load.

slower, more gradual pulling and decel, your not trying to brick the engine (or maybe you are) just seat some rings.

Im sure someone will swoop in here and tell you about the 10,000 threads already about this and "to do your homework" I did, but i still questioned which way to go. I'm happy with it and believe it was the right way. i have worked on most anything between cars and weed wackers for about 15 years.

Ride the bike for 30 seconds and you will understand why the idea of keeping it under 4k for 10+ hours is absurd.

Find out if your engine is a keeper sooner than later. Holler at your warranty if its not.
Much appreciated for the info, and in my defense I did a search in this section but didn't find much on it, that's why I created a thread. If I made a repeat thread sorry to everyone else. Noobie here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.