Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have had my Ninja 300 for about 2 and a half months now, and have had Progressive motorcycle insurance for the same time. I have already paid the $650~ for the 12 month full coverage, however last week I got a $1,500 invoice on my account for not sending in the "rejection of bodily injury" coverage stuff, so, I signed it, then e-mailed it as asked via phone support. I did this, and after they received it, they reduced my $1,500 to $196, which is still crazy, because I had already paid my insurance in full for the whole year of full coverage.

So now, I have a $196 invoice with no notes, and the phone support basically say it's some "homeowner/renting" discount thing that was removed. I'm 18, and don't own or rent any house, how can they do this? They are changing my coverage and policy info two and a half months after I paid in full for my full coverage. This is crazy? I paid what I signed for, and basically this is them saying "We're illegally changing your policy and making you pay to what you never agreed to."

Anyone have an issue like this? I most likely will not pay this invoice, since I have already paid in full two months ago and was never notified of this until two days ago. If you are looking for insurance, definitely don't go with the cheapest (Progressive). I knew it was too good to be true, and now it's just a hassle. I assume since I'm 18 they decided to f*** with me and see what they can get away with.

·
Registered
70 Posts
never had a problem with progressive you should have kept the recipet they gave you after

paying and showing what your policy was just take it into a actual person and see what the

extra charge is for and if they can take it off

·
Registered
344 Posts
I know you are young, but did you shop around for insurance. In MD, GEICO is the cheapest for motorcycle insurance. As an example, I pay $399 a year for full coverage and towing service which is high for my age and record.

I can't get over how the insurance rating for the 300 is listed as a sport bike though; really? A sport bike is an R1 or ZX-10R, but not the 300. My insurance company would charge me $50 more a year for one of those bikes. My BMW K1600GT with 160HP is only $59 a year more, and cost 5 times more than my 300. Why is the 300 a sport bike while my 1600 is not? Guess it's all demographics on who buys them and amount of accidents in that group I guess.

Shop around if you feel like your getting ripped off.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I know you are young, but did you shop around for insurance. In MD, GEICO is the cheapest for motorcycle insurance. As an example, I pay $399 a year for full coverage and towing service which is high for my age and record.

I can't get over how the insurance rating for the 300 is listed as a sport bike though; really? A sport bike is an R1 or ZX-10R, but not the 300. My insurance company would charge me $50 more a year for one of those bikes. My BMW K1600GT with 160HP is only $59 a year more, and cost 5 times more than my 300. Why is the 300 a sport bike while my 1600 is not? Guess it's all demographics on who buys them and amount of accidents in that group I guess.

Come to think about it my 2012 Ducati was nearly the same insurance price as the 300!! :mad:

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Geigo quoted me over $1,400 for full coverage (yearly), Progressive was only $650 for same coverage.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the record, I ordered online and paid via PayPal. I did not pay with Debit and did not sigh the EFT (electronic funds transfer) paper so they could not take out of my bank account at any time they please. They did not send me any reciept via mail. After talking to them on the phone yesterday my online policy page was blank, it seems like they disabled it or something where I couldn't view anything while they were on the phone with me. After that, I checked the summary and I had numerous policy changes (I was never told/explained was the changes fully were)

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Progressive here too. $156/yr

Sent from my LG-P999 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
70 Posts
For the record, I ordered online and paid via PayPal. I did not pay with Debit and did not sigh the EFT (electronic funds transfer) paper so they could not take out of my bank account at any time they please. They did not send me any reciept via mail. After talking to them on the phone yesterday my online policy page was blank, it seems like they disabled it or something where I couldn't view anything while they were on the phone with me. After that, I checked the summary and I had numerous policy changes (I was never told/explained was the changes fully were)
sounds strange

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've had Progressive for three years, always done everything online, never called in and it's been pretty good. I kinda ran into the same thing a while back when I first got the policy. My price went up just a tad and after emailing back and forth came to the conclusion that when you are first given the quote its just that, a quote. After they got everything sorted out it was a little more for some reason. Who knows haha

·
Registered
865 Posts
i have progressive too... 1000 bucks a year... i'm switching to markel-bikeline, as soon as i get a chance

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yeah, the homeowner thing happened on mine too. It only raised mine by $29 a year though, not to concerned. Beat Geico and Allstate by $200 a year, so I'm still in the black by quite a bit.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't mind paying the bill, and like dmdusen said I guess the quote is just 'the quote', but they should have notified me of this two months (60 days) prior, instead of giving me a random $200 invoice to pay with no reasoning behind it via phone. @Lienmarine Progressive beat Geico and Allstate by nearly $1,000 a year for me, no joke.

·
Banned
1,037 Posts

Its listed as a sport bike as that is what kawa has it as the 250 was listed as a dual sport bike

·
Registered
344 Posts
Crazy rating by calling it a sport bike; no matter who is calling it one. Just funny that a $26K bike would cost just $59 more a year for the same coverage.

Changing legal address next to month to one of other homes in Virginia. Will see how that affects the insurance rates.

·
Registered
958 Posts
It sounds like they gave you a discount for being a Homeowner/Renter, and then found that you don't qualify for it, so now you have to pay the price difference they discounted your policy.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Insurances differ with age, location, projected mileage, driving record, number of vehicles covered and number of policies with the company. There are so many variables you cannot compair with anyone personally, because no one else is you, although some will be close not everyone will be the same.
Just shop around with companies, if you find a company that is cheaper, call your present company and let them know you are canceling and why. If they don't cut you a better deal they will cut you a check and send you the remainder of your policy balance.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I remember before the 300 came out I was thinking about getting a ninja 250. I had GEICO for auto and my other motorcycle at the time. I figured with paying full coverage for my current motorcycle at $200 a year a used Ninja 250 should be cheaper right?

My quote for the Ninja 250 was $2600 for a year. That was double the rate on my new Camaro. Now, honestly, if I had called an agent they probably would have really cleaned that up, but seeing that number based off of the automated quote for a 250 really turned me off from it. Currently paying $240 through State Farm for the 300.

P.S.
Seeing a pricing shift after already paying the accepted rate may be against company policy. I know reading through my State Farm paperwork, they can't change the rate or contract till renewal time or the user does something outright illegal. Read your Progressive paperwork explaining how the policy is setup and what the company can do and when they can do it. I have a feeling they also have a stipulation that states that they can't alter or increase your rate till renewal as well. It does seem very sketchy that they are touching your rates after you already started the policy and paid. If it's because of a deduction, then shame on the agent that pushed through a deduction that shouldn't have been given to you based on information you had already given them. That renter's/homeowner discount is also only if you make it an umbrella policy and put your renters/homeowners policy through them as well. At least that's what the Progressive agent told me when I did my quote through them.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Geigo quoted me over $1,400 for full coverage (yearly), Progressive was only $650 for same coverage.
Agreed, ill be anew rider at17 and Gieco was 1500 progressive is 750. I hope I don't run into the same issue as you because i obviously don't own a home. :confused:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts