Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked this book out of the local library yesterday due to NUMEROUS recommendations of this tome by nearly every internet site on motorcycling i've checked out. i'm only halfway through so far, but guys i have to say i recommend it heartily as a practical guide to gaining and maintaining proficiency on a bike. not saying it makes for instant competency but it definitely provides numerous tips and strategies for situations you will encounter on the road.

so far the overarching theme i've seemed to interpret is use the front brake. david hough is repeatedly stating that a lot of accidents could be mitigated or avoided if effective braking techniques were applied properly and concisely and that part of these techniques is to use the front brake.

haven't finished it yet but i am definitely going to have to pick up a personal copy of this and his sequel, MORE proficient motorcycling.

Reactions: sean1990

·
Registered
865 Posts
Seems good to me lol I hate reading so I learn from others and my genral observation and practice. But hey =D if your stick inside not riding becuse its too cold? why not right?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that front brake is MIGHTY powerful...

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I will see if our local library has this and I will get it for my wife to read. I have been doing this for to long to change my ways haha.. Everything I do at this point is natural so to try to change it would be next to impossible haha.. My wife is a newbie though haha

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
there is only 2 books you need.

twist of the wrist

twist of the wrist part 2

both written by keith code. i own both of them, have done now for years.i have lost count the amount of times i have leant them out to friends to read.these are my bibles. you can find them on the net in pdf as well. grab them both, read them ,study them, learn from them.the techniques in them work on every motorcycle i have ever owned/ridden be it cruiser, sports bike, tourer, enduro, whatever, if its got 2 wheels and an engine, these books work.

worth their weight in gold.
study these books and you will be riding the wheels off your bike in a very short period of time:)

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i will look into it... i'm trying to be like a sponge and absorb as much knowledge and good advice as i can.. my philosophy on this is if i am going to learn, please try to learn as beneficially and safely as possible...

·
Registered
958 Posts
I completely agree with cruzin, I got Twist of the Wrist 2 on DVD, and this has improved my riding by 1000%. It gives step by step instructions on everything you need to know about cornering, because if you think about it, anyone can go strait, but cornering requires skill. The first time I watched it, it covered several mistakes I was making and how to correct them. It also talks about natural survival instincts that we have that will sabotage our riding and put us in danger. It starts with the basic skills you need to corner quickly and safely on the street, and then each chapter brings you to a more advanced level, all the way up to riding on the track. I can't say enough about this DVD, Keith Code has truly put together everything you can learn without actually going to a riding school. The best $20 I've spent on anything riding related. Keith Code is also the founder of the California Superbike School, and they have expanded to Europe and Australia. :eek:

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
theres a few other books im my collection you might be interested in and you can get them in PDF format as well

The Science of Road Racing Motorcycles by Keith Code

Performance Riding Techniques - The moto GP Manual

if your absolutely 100% brand new to riding motorcycles on the street and have not got the foggiest idea on what your doing, then read this 20 page book to start with from Colorado Department of Transport, USA

a very neat little book to start you off

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...FFhXBG&sig=AHIEtbRzjUzYq3O040sNzsycI4jl7aibew

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I downloaded the movie, twist the wrist 2! Awesome, thankyou!
You should pick up the book too (or find the PDF online, though the book is only $14 on Amazon). It goes into a lot more detail and is great to have to quickly reference certain techniques when you're having trouble.

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.