Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So basically, it's the first time i've washed my bike and i can't help but notice on my exhaust, are little orange specks of dirt maybe, that just wont come off. I even scratch them with my nails and they stay on. Has anyone come across this problem before?

How can i get rid of the dirt on the exhaust?

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm not too keen on using steel wool to clean it. I think something like Nevr-Dull would be safer, less likely to mark up the surface more and will leave a coating behind to help keep it nicer longer. Stuff's cheap too.

·
Registered
295 Posts
If there is already rust you can use an alkalide cleaner such as Vinegar to clean it. I wouldn't let the rag sit all day as suggested in the other thread as Vinegar is an acid and will eventually eat through the protective coating around areas that are not yet effected.

If there is no rust there are all sorts of stainless steel cleaners out on the market. For most of my stainless steel appliances, sink, grills and what not I've used bar keepers friend, a little water and then a rag of some sort.

Once the rust has been removed or the stainless has been cleaned you should rinse off any vinegar or cleaner, pat the area dry and then apply an oil to it. Most people seem to use baby oil, mineral oil or olive oil for stainless steel. But because this is an exhaust you might want to check what oils are safe to be used on items that can get very hot. I'd imagine oilive oil would smell a little funny ;)

The point of oiling stainless steel is to prevent water from touching the metal again, no water = no oxidation. If you can touch the exhaust and it's dry, time to re-apply oil.

Most people tend to think of "Stainless Steel" as rust proof, it is not. But with propper care it can last for ages. Personally I think using it on an exhaust is kind of foolish. It does look cool when new but it really doesn't take stainless long to rust when exposed to the elements. My stainless Steel grill lasted 8 months before I started seeing rust spots.

·
Registered
292 Posts
www.evaporust.com

Sounds like some snake oil but it actually works, and quite well at that. Just don't let it dry out because it turns into a gel.
It's re-usable, bio degradable, non-toxic, and non acidic/mild/safe on hands

I used it on my 1981 GS250 to clean pretty much the whole bike, if there's any rust under paint it'll pull it up, Don't know if that's a plus or minus to people. Works best when you submerge parts in a bucket.

The #0000 steel wool is a good choice too, I use it to clean rust spots off of my chrome parts with great results.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts