Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, let me start by saying it was kind of a newbie move. I'm in an apartment building so I don't have access to anything to wash my bike. I just wanted to give it a quick rinse to get most of the dirt off before trying a waterless wash. So I drove into one of those pressure wash car washes, and rinsed most of the bike down without pulling the trigger, using the gun mostly as a hose.

The only parts I really sprayed with the trigger pulled, standing 3-4 feet away, were the side fairings and the wheels (This is where I think I may have done something dumb.) However, I think it's at least good that I tried to only spray the outer portion of the wheel, so the spokes and the lip of the wheel. Reason being I have the ABS model and didn't want to risk damaging my calipers / ABS stuff, so I stayed away from the brakes.

I think this means I must have stayed away from the bearings, too. My wheels were still pretty dirty even post-wash, so I know I wasn't close to them at all and probably avoided damage to the bearings.

Long story short, now I'm paranoid about it. I mean, it's only the first time I ever use a pressure washer, and you can be sure I'll never do that again, but what's the chance I hurt anything? Should I stop worrying so much? I think so.

The good news is, the GoClean waterless wash I used did a great job, and my bike was nice and shiny again. I also got a The Grunge Brush and some Bel Ray chain lube, and did that, since I was past 500 km's.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. If you didn't get up close with the pressure washer on full blast you should be fine.

Reactions: Nursewest

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's reassuring!

·
Registered
996 Posts
If you avoided the brake lines/calipers/etc and any wiring or connectors, you should be fine. If you're REALLY paranoid, you could always take off the wheels and put fresh grease on the bearings, but if you didn't spray them directly I'm sure they're fine.

I haven't yet rinsed off my bike with water. I just don't let it get dirty enough to need a rinse... Once or twice a week I spray some instant detailer on it and wipe it down with a towel. I also use spray wax once every week or two. My bike is always clean and shiny! You save a lot of headaches doing it this way rather than waiting for it to get really bad. The only time I did anything other than the above cleaning routine was one time when I scratched the tank (from my zipper maybe?) so I polished it with meguiar's "Scratch-X." It erased the scratch completely and made my tank so shiny it's incredible... It got rid of the little "spider webbing" and gave it a mirror-like finish. I only wish it'd work on the fairings but I think it'd just make tiny scratches in the plastic...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Can anyone help me pick out a good brand of pressure washer (that lasts ofcourse)? Searching for 200-300USD range. Choosing is pretty hard when you read reviews that is why I came here. Thanks in advance!
choremaster with a briggs and Stratton engine-ive had one for 4 years-no problems-they are store versions of the Mi-T-M brand-just don't let it freeze, and avoid well water to supply it if possible

·
Registered
76 Posts
A big t of precautionary advice if you plan to use a high pressure washing system (I hand wash all mine with a damp cloth and never use a hose). Get yourself a tube of dielectric grease from an auto parts store and take every connector apart and fill them with it and snap them back together. This will ensure 100% connectivity through all environments and is what all race teams do. It will also be long term preventative maintenance in that it will keep them from corroding.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts