Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang,

I want to install a powerlet socket to use for charging my phone and possibly a GPS unit in the future. Without even thinking about it or looking at my bike I ordered the Powerlet handle bar mount that also mounts gadgets:

Handlebar mount with gadgets

Fail!! Does not fit on the handlebars. Such a dummy for not checking first. After looking at this some more I believe my options are:

1. Panel kit that requires drilling into the fairing: Panel kit

2. Tail kit (rather not since I would like my devices closer to me): Tail Kit

3. Rear set Kits (3 types. What type is the Ninja 300?) Type 1 Rear set kit

Others:

There is a Honda VFR kit that uses the steering head. Would this work for the Ninja 300? Honda vfr Steering head kit

I really prefer something closer to the front like handlebars, steering head or panels.

Anyone else running power outlets on their Ninjas? Any recommendations?

Thanks much!

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
some words of wisdom about power sockets from someone who has been there and done that on previous motorcycles aka- me

keep the socket away from the handle bars, last think you need is something to go wrong in that department, come loose , get jammed and handlbars are jammed up and your history

i always mount my socket under the seat. out of sight, out of mind

dont go and buy a cigarette lighter plug on the bike.they are good for lighting cigarrettes, not power sockets.the limit is the amperage you can out thru them, too much current and you will have a melted socket, worst case a fire. not much fun.
i highly recommend a hella plug, they handle gobfulls of current and are used by BMW as well so they cant be that bad.
if you would like to buy a premade one, i have done a ebay search and found this, it would be perfect and when you sell you bike, remove it and keep it for the next one

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/370711973787?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

hope this helps

·
Registered
865 Posts
I just went to advanced auto parts and got a 10 dollar all weather ciggerette plug and mounted it it up front by the gauge pod. wired it to the battery. Works very well in my opinion.

My thought, keep the cigg plug close to were the electronic device is going, so mines gonna be going on my tank or mounted to the windshield, so I put it up front, I dont like cords running over my body. makes me feel unsafe.

·
Registered
547 Posts
In my opinion tailkit fir sure. Store phone in there fir charging while riding; you don't need your Facebook notifications distracting you ;)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Tail kit would work for charging the phone but I am leaning more towards a tank bag as ghost mentioned. Now that I think about it, there seems to be no place to mount a dedicated GPS other than in a tank bag.

I'll figure something out. Nice to hear about what others are doing for power.

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
I posted mine on right side fairing ill post a pic
perfect, great idea, i was thinking the same idea myself.just remember to tie the cable slack up so it doesn’t interfere with anything else and give a bit of slack so you can remove the tupperware easily and your ok

·
Banned
562 Posts
there is no slack if u get a the cycle gear one

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
In my opinion tailkit fir sure. Store phone in there fir charging while riding; you don't need your Facebook notifications distracting you ;)
thats dead right. i go for a ride to get away from the mobile phone and avoid everyone:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.