Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I bought my 2016 Ninja a few weeks back with Power RS on it and already got a rear flat. The tires have only about 1,200 miles on them but the rear is wearing bad (I know the RS can have this issue when the bike is used mainly for commuting). I wanted to leave the front RS which is in mint shape and put a Michelin Road 5 on the rear. I’ve heard of this setup before on another forum just didn’t know people’s thoughts here or if anyone has experienced it. TIA ~Adam

·
Registered
377 Posts
How old is the front tire?

I have RSs on my SV, and they stick very well - as long as they are hot. When cold or not up to temp they squirm and slide a bit.

The Road 5s will stick much better at low to moderate tire temps.

The combination of a RS on the front and a Road 5 on the rear may give you a large mis-match in performance, so I'd be cautious. Back-in-the-day I always ran a full-sport tire on the front and standard tire on the rear on my sport bikes - but tires weren't that great back then (80s).

Tire design has improved to the point where a sport touring tire may be the better choice for street use. Sport tires have gotten better as well, but more sharply focused. The need to be up to temp to operate properly.

My next set on the SV will be Road 5s. I ride in low to moderate temps often, and the RSs just don't like it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How old is the front tire?

I have RSs on my SV, and they stick very well - as long as they are hot. When cold or not up to temp they squirm and slide a bit.

The Road 5s will stick much better at low to moderate tire temps.

The combination of a RS on the front and a Road 5 on the rear may give you a large mis-match in performance, so I'd be cautious. Back-in-the-day I always ran a full-sport tire on the front and standard tire on the rear on my sport bikes - but tires weren't that great back then (80s).

Tire design has improved to the point where a sport touring tire may be the better choice for street use. Sport tires have gotten better as well, but more sharply focused. The need to be up to temp to operate properly.

My next set on the SV will be Road 5s. I ride in low to moderate temps often, and the RSs just don't like it.
The front tire is in great condition, 1,200 miles on it and don’t see any real wear at this point. I don’t mind matching the tires, just didn’t know if it was a necessity as I’ve seen quite a few people running mis matched tires as long as they are similar and work together. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The front tire is in great condition, 1,200 miles on it and don’t see any real wear at this point. I don’t mind matching the tires, just didn’t know if it was a necessity as I’ve seen quite a few people running mis matched tires as long as they are similar and work together. Thanks for the input.
Age is more important than miles. The manufacture date is on the sidewall - 4 numbers in an oval like "2915". First two numbers are the week of the year (29th week), second are they last digits of the year (2015).

Always good to know their age. After about 4 years they lose an amount of traction - no matter how many miles are on them. Also look for cracking of the rubber. Some tires will crack very quickly, which tells you the compound is drying out.

I would say the RS and the Road 5 are kinda similar, but their compounds are going to be significantly different - which is what would cause issues. Some of it depends on how much you push it. If not much, you may never see any differences. If you do push it, they may react significantly different. So you should be cautious IMO.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hello! I bought my 2016 Ninja a few weeks back with Power RS on it and already got a rear flat. The tires have only about 1,200 miles on them but the rear is wearing bad (I know the RS can have this issue when the bike is used mainly for commuting). I wanted to leave the front RS which is in mint shape and put a Michelin Road 5 on the rear. I’ve heard of this setup before on another forum just didn’t know people’s thoughts here or if anyone has experienced it. TIA ~Adam
What tire pressure are you running in the rear? I have the RS on 3 of my bikes. A gixxer 600, N400 and N300. I run 30 psi in the rear on all 3 bikes. The 400 I have had the RS on since feb of 2019 with a season and a half on the track with some street riding as well. I can finish this season with the rear with no problem. The 300 has seen some street miles but mostly track. This is the 300 rear below.
F964EFA0-293A-4FC7-B26F-22DBD5305AD2.jpeg

·
Registered
6 Posts
What tire pressure are you running in the rear? I have the RS on 3 of my bikes. A gixxer 600, N400 and N300. I run 30 psi in the rear on all 3 bikes. The 400 I have had the RS on since feb of 2019 with a season and a half on the track with some street riding as well. I can finish this season with the rear with no problem. The 300 has seen some street miles but mostly track. This is the 300 rear below. View attachment 115090 Your axle looks like it's fitted on the opposite side to standard sorry if it doesn't matter 🏍👍

·
Registered
62 Posts
I flipped it too make it easier to mount because of the spacer which always seems to fall when putting the wheel back on. No other reason, can go either way! 👍🏼

1 - 7 of 7 Posts