Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My plan was to have my ecu flashed by Spears this winter. Not so much for performance gains but just to make the bike run better and improve throttle response. Talking to Spears they said it helps a lot even keeping the stock exhaust.
But, since I'll have my bike apart with the plastics off this winter to check the valves and sparkplugs, why not just install a PC? It's actually quite a bit cheaper than a one time ecu flash from Spears ($285 vs. $350 for the flash) and can be changed in the future if I should want/need to.
Just wondering how well they work and how easy they are to use? I'm guessing it should come with maps set for the 300 with stock exhaust?
Do any of you guys use a PC and like it?
Seems to me the biggest downside that people talk about is having to install the Power Commander and removing fairings etc.? I'll have them off anyway so may as well save the money right...

Just so you guys know, I am aware of the search function on the forum and do use it. But what's the harm in asking again and getting some feedback on my particular situation? Thanks!:)

· Super Moderator
808 Posts
I have it. I installed it myself. It's a breeze. It does improve the throttle response. I didn't feel any power gain.
I have a full Yoshi system. I downloaded a map that a member here had for the same pipe and pump gas.

· Registered
2015 300 ABS
52 Posts
I can’t speak from experience, but I have a flashed ECU on the track-only 300 that I’m trying to get running. Looking like a full engine rebuild - so I won’t have any feedback for a while :cry:

But I’ve done a bunch of research, and my basic understanding is : It seems the advantage of ECU flash is that it has a bunch more settings that can be controlled (temp fan kicks in, rpm limit, exhaust changes, air/fuel mix changes etc). And it’s making those changes at the source. The piggyback style units (PC, area P etc) take what comes from the ECU and adapt that - sending updated information to the fuel injectors etc. So it looks like it’s limited in what it can change.

The place that had flashed the ECU on the bike I bought was a place called MRPmotorsports. Nice guy, and he’s actually reflashing it right now because the current flash is for things that are no longer on the bike. The flash is $150. You fill out some paperwork describing your bike and the options you want/need.

Are you talking about the power commander Fuel Controller or the full power commander V?

· Super Moderator
808 Posts
Are you talking about the power commander Fuel Controller or the full power commander V?
What's the difference? I got mine some years ago, and back then there was the regular PCV and there was the Autotune, which had an O2 sensor and would change the AFR on the fly according to changes in air pressure I think, mainly altitude.

· Registered
2015 300 ABS
52 Posts
What's the difference? I got mine some years ago, and back then there was the regular PCV and there was the Autotune, which had an O2 sensor and would change the AFR on the fly according to changes in air pressure I think, mainly altitude.
I think the PCFC only deals with fueling maps/adaptations. And has no ability to plug in extra modules. It’s cheaper and probably works for most people. If down the road you want things like dynojet quickshifter, auto tune, ignition module etc, you need the full power commander.

Also, the PCFC has the ability to tweak fuel delivery “in the field” with some pots on the unit. So you can make slight changes without the computer. Almost seems like the ability to “rejet”on the fly.

I had a unit similar to this on a FI Husky by JDTuner. It was pretty cool, but I’m not sure how many people would mess with it unless they were at the track or pushing the envelope on the road.

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure what I'm talking about because I haven't looked into it too far because I have all winter. Not sure about all the different PC options? I will most likely add a quickshifter (been looking at the IRC quick shifter) but I guess I could go with a power commander that comes set for a quickshifter? It's all pretty confusing to me.
I was thinking my best option would be an ecu flash with the IRC quick shifter. I've read that the PC tunes are not that optimal so I might get a better tune for the stock exhaust by having my ecu flashed? Also less wiring and stuff to deal with vs having the quickshifter module and PC module both.
That $150 ECU flash sounds tempting! Do they have a good reputation?

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know Spears Racing does good work but $350 just for an ECU flash seems over the top. I understand the service should be worth something but that just seems like a lot which is why I didn't have it done this spring the first time I was asking about it.

· Registered
2015 300 ABS
52 Posts
I know Spears Racing does good work but $350 just for an ECU flash seems over the top. I understand the service should be worth something but that just seems like a lot which is why I didn't have it done this spring the first time I was asking about it.
$350 does seem like a lot. I don’t really know about MRP reputation one way or the other. Their sticker was on the ECU from the previous flash. They also sell a bunch of race-oriented products for this bike. Kenny was nice enough to look up the reference number and tell me what was on there. He’s flashing it now to match the current state of the bike.

I think the big question is what do you want out of the flash/PC? If the bike is bone stock, there are probably just a few tweaks to make it run less lean, maybe better throttle response etc. if you anticipate swapping exhausts later - you can remap yourself with the PC. So if you like fiddling in the computer - the PC might be the way to go, because what features it can change, you can change endlessly.

Whereas the flash is a one-time thing. If you changed the exhaust later, you’d need to reflash. Worth asking what reflash costs at any of these places.

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am doing it purely to make the bike run as well as possible and not expecting any performance gains. Kind of why I have put it off wondering is it really worth it. I think $150 seems very reasonable so I may have MRP flash mine.
A power commander does seem like a neat thing but I have no desire to fiddle with things and don’t plan on changing the exhaust. Thanks for the heads up on MRP! I’ll shoot them an email and see if they have a tune for stock exhaustand UNI air filter (if that matters).

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That seems like a very nice thing to have for those that love to tune and try different things. I'm looking for the old one and done. I think I'll talk to MRP when the time comes. I don't plan to change my exhaust because I like how quiet the bike is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts