Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off let me just say hi to all of you! So here's my story; Always loved motorcycles, Dad rode a triumph bonnevile 2003 (sexy sexy bike) and a Harley (unsure of make model or year) but he had to sell the HD, and the triumph is gathering dust in the garage (don't tell him, but this Christmas I'm going to be rebuilding his carbs and getting his old bike up and running again). I've always wanted to ride with him, and I turned 17 in late May, finally old enough to do something about it! Saving up, and working on convincing the folks that I'm not going to kill myself on the thing and saw the release of the 300 and, well, I feel it calling me. I was always reading how the ninja 250 was just a bit too small for someone 6'1 and just shy of 180 lbs. Excited for the future and no longer being a lurker on forums like these. :D

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Welcome!

Not saying a 300 is a bad idea, but I am 185lbs and 6'-0" and fit great on my 250R thatis because the 300 is the exact same size as the 250R :) the pegs are in the same place and it has the same handlebars.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Welcome! It would go a long way to helping their nerves if you got the ABS version. Further, explain to them that the slipper clutch greatly reduces the chances of locking the rear on down changes. Great for people who aren't confident enough to blip, and haven't yet acquired smooth clutch control :).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I may successfully have them persuaded in time, the next check on my list is to look at gear, How much should I expect to spend? Can you recommend any brands that have been proven for safety? I don't want to cheap out, but I am a seventeen year-old at college, so you can imagine! :) Revol, I have actually already brought up the ABS, and will for sure be purchasing an ABS model!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think I may successfully have them persuaded in time, the next check on my list is to look at gear, How much should I expect to spend? Can you recommend any brands that have been proven for safety? I don't want to cheap out, but I am a seventeen year-old at college, so you can imagine! :) Revol, I have actually already brought up the ABS, and will for sure be purchasing an ABS model!
The following is all IMO: Spend between $1000 - $2000.

I suggest full leathers, for any riding. What you want to make sure is that you get a leathers with a solid cowhide construction, 1.3mm full grain leather, both jacket and pants! I suggest Dainese, or Alpinestars -- they will be expensive, but technical and comfortable. Make sure that your gear fits you, and isn't too big. Make sure that if your gear doesn't come with hard protectors in the shoulders, forearms and knees, that they have an optional upgrade. Avoid riding with cheap foam inserts! Consider getting a separate back, or back/chest protector -- they don't move around like jacket imbedded protectors will. Make sure your jacket and pants have a 360 degree zip so they can be joined together and act as a 2-piece suit. Don't skimp on gloves and boots :p. Make sure your gloves have a good sized gauntlet -- :p don't get those short gloves. For boots, make sure they are quality, have plenty of feel, and plenty of ankle protection.

For your helmet, get one that is compatible with the pinlock visor system. This will completely eliminate visor fogging. Shoei, Arai, and HJC make excellent choices. With the helmet on your head (and strapped), put your hand on the chin of the helmet and push up and back. If it's loose, see if you can adjust it better, if you can't, don't buy it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow thank you! Now I need glasses if I don't want to go face first into a light post, is there special helmets that facilitate ease of use with glasses/ special visors with correction? I'm pretty much new to all of this, and have no idea if that is an issue for riders. Thank you so much for your time!

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I spent less than $400 on gear.. Got a all season jacket $150 , summer gloves $35 and a helmet $200.. Nothing cheap, all name brand just all on clearance because it was last seasons style.. I am not into full leathers or special boots myself.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Wow thank you! Now I need glasses if I don't want to go face first into a light post, is there special helmets that facilitate ease of use with glasses/ special visors with correction? I'm pretty much new to all of this, and have no idea if that is an issue for riders. Thank you so much for your time!

I got contacts after I started riding :). Sure is a lot more comfortable. You have to take your glasses off every time you want to put your helmet on or off. It's probably safer without them, too! Your (health) insurance should cover it.

When I started riding, both my glasses, and my visor, fogged up dramatically. I had to ride around with my visor cracked. Getting a pinlock visor insert stops the visor from fogging -- I can hold my visor inside down, over a boiling pot of water and have absolutely no fogging. The only problem is expense :p; depends which helmet you are getting a pinlock for, but it can be $70+. You need to replace the visor with a compatible one before you buy the insert.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've gone backpacking enough to know that ankle protecting boots are mandatory. If you can snap everything down there with one bad step than it shouldn't be too hard for any sort of collision to do the same.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.