Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

921 - 930 of 930 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
For those who are now out of the 1 year warranty, a dealer by me managed to use cut strips of fuzzy Velcro (adhesive on one side) to add additional pressure so the clips wouldn't pop out as easily. Been 3 months now and it is barely noticeable now.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Kawasaki CANADA sent and have my dealer replaced the head faring "bird cage" a few days ago and no gap reappearing so far. None of the fairing pieces need to be replaced by the way.
However the job took a couple of days as the technician did not cut corner by cutting out part of the metal bracket of the bird cage to avoid disassembling/reassembling bunch of electric cables going through them. He said some dealers he knows could perform this trick so as to save significant amount of time, as Kawasaki will only pay one hour flat rate to them on this warranty job. Hope this is the final solution on this common issue.
See picture here for the part called "bird cage" by Kawasaki.
What function does the bird cage perform?

How could someone tell if their birdcage was cut?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
58 Posts
The bird cage is simply the Upper Fairing Bracket. The layout/position of mounting bolt holes on the new bracket are a little different compare to the old one coming off the 2013. This bracket supposes to hold the upper and middle fairings "correctly".
As per my diagram on the unit, you can see that there are two tiny symmetric rectangle shape metal bracket right at the middle line and thus bunch of electric cables going through them. It is in close loop design and if there is an opening (by cutting) on each sides of the bracket, the technician could simply squeeze all cables through without disassembling/reassembling etc...

·
Registered
288 Posts
This fix makes sense to me. Did they say what was different about the bird cage? I wonder if I could used a 2014 bird cage to fix my 2013. My bike is no longer under warranty.

·
Registered
58 Posts
This fix makes sense to me. Did they say what was different about the bird cage? I wonder if I could used a 2014 bird cage to fix my 2013. My bike is no longer under warranty.
Yes I suppose the one I got is the 2014 model's bird cage, it fits well on my 2013.
It costs a little over $200 and it takes time to install. Glad it was under warranty.
My dealer complaints that Kawasaki only willing to pay 1 hour labor for them on this job, he did end up spending over 2.5 hours as it involves many pieces of cowlings and other electrical components.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Can anyone tell me what the part number is for the fairing piece that separates. It is the piece that pushes in where the gap is. Looks like it just has two tabs on it. Can't seem to find it in the diagram.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I wonder what the difference between the 2013 and 2014 parts are. I wouldn't mind seeing if I could just fix it myself.

·
Registered
107 Posts
sorry to revive an old thread and ive read through maybe the first 15 pages of this thread to see if i can find an answer...

but here's the backgroud before I ask...

I posted in another thread what happened to my moto: came home to her lying on her right side, someone must have tried to sit and stand her up and dropped her, scratched up the large fairing, side mirror, and exhaust heat guard...

But now the nose fairing on the right side keeps popping out...is this still covered by warranty even though the fairing has damage from a drop? also a bolt was found under her after I lifted her back up and I have no idea where it came from :confused:

This is what it looks like after I take it out for a ride
f1.jpg

The damage on the fairing itself from the drop
f2.jpg

and what it looks like when i push the tab back in place
f3.jpg

921 - 930 of 930 Posts