Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 930 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Nice job with the video..shows the problem well. Hope all goes well at the dealer tomorrow. Look forward to reading about the outcome.
I know some people are saying that it is a minor thing and that the bike is built to a price so these sort of things should be accepted. Well I'm not one of those people. If I wanted poor fit and finish I would have spent $5k on a CF Moto or some other chinese bike that was a few grand cheaper. I had similar problems with my Ford Territory Titanium that cost me around $60k. It's build quality was rubbish and Ford has fought me all the way but I persisted and won...with the help of Fair Trading Ombudsman!

Hopefully Kawasaki Australia will do the right thing. They are a well respected brand and I'm sure they want to keep it that way.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Take a look at the service manual, it gives you a proper sequence of tightening the fasteners for the middle fairings. But gives no specifics for the rest of the fairings, so there must be something to it.

The panels can easily be twisted by your fingertips. As long as the stepped washer is in the hole and torqued to the face of the surface, they have no affect on each other. The locking tabs do not lock in their corresponding slots, that is the issue.

More robust tabs that actually click heartily into place or another couple of mounting bolts would be the only fix besides tape. There are no bolts/screws holding the panel inwards at the point of these gaps, only the tabs. A single bolt in that spot should have been in the design. I can't imagine pre production versions didn't have the same issue.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
its now 6.37am, i drop the bike off in about an hour. if i get a chance at lunch i will call dealer & see how it is all going & update thread today, if not, we will all have to wait until tomorrow morning when i pick the bike up about 7.30am

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
quick update, bike dropped off this morning, spoke to workshop manager. they said they will look at clips but will probably end up ordering me in a new set of fairing

i made it very clear that i want some new fairing for the bike

will keep you posted, bike is still there

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
That is good but without a new, updated part it will be the same problem soon enough. See if you can get a look at the new fairings locking tabs before they put them on. I'd guess this will take several weeks anyway. Hopefully they redesigned the tabs.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
That is good but without a new, updated part it will be the same problem soon enough. See if you can get a look at the new fairings locking tabs before they put them on. I'd guess this will take several weeks anyway. Hopefully they redesigned the tabs.

Good luck!
i made it very clear this morning when i dropped the bike off i want new fairings and i will be pressing hard for new fairings.
if i dont get new fairings i have no doubt the same will happen again & i will write another letter to kwaka and i will state i want new fairings.

but lets just wait and see how this pans out:)

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
quick update, i called the dealer, my bike is ready to go, first off they said they were goin to order new fairing in for me, then they said they wanted to talk to me first.

so i dunno what they need to talk to me about, but i wont have the bike till tomorrow morning, i will call in to dealer tomorrow before work, i finish at 5pm & so does the dealer, so need to wait till tomorrow morning after i get bike for more of an update after talk to dealer

·
Registered
392 Posts
^ that would be interesting to see if there is a updated fairing....

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Please be sure to ask if there is a new, improved part or just the same thing for replacement. ;)
good idea. its now 6.36am i will be leaving home in about an hour to go get my bike. i should be at work early enough to use the interwebs and update this

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
i have my bike back. i had a chat to the service manager. they pulled my bike apart & put it back together a few times & still cant get rid of the gap. they have spoken to Kwaka head office & new fairings were ordered yesterday afternoon, they will call me once the parts have arrived.
i have asked for an ETA of the parts, they will chase kwaka up today for an eta.

i asked if the fairings will be same or are they a different part as the issue seems to be the plastic clips on top of the fairing.
i was told that the replacement fairings will fix the fault.
so i asked was kwaka aware of the issue. i was told, no comment. so i suspect kwaka are aware of it and wont do anything to fix your bike in till you , us, the owners, take it up with them

so if you want it fixed, this is what you need to do, so start the letter writing guys, but only after your local dealer has seen it first and fobbed you off & get the name of the person you spoke to as well and include that in your letter

·
Registered
392 Posts
If my fairings pop, ill definitely take this route. Thanks Cruizin!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Well done cruizin. I too will be chasing it (and rusty exhaust tip) up with dealer in first service in a few weeks. Will send him an email with pictures first to give him some heads up.
Sometimes persistence does pay off.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
quick update, called the workshop at the dealer for an ETA of the parts. they still dont have an eta for yet, they are going to chase up their spare part division & send me an sms & let me know whats going on

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
i got an SMS this afternoon from the service division at the dealer ship, and it says and i quote

We are awaiting confirmation of the eta for your parts from Kawasaki. I will let you know as soon as they contact us.

Wow. thats great. thanks service department for that sms. i dont know why you even bothered to sms it to me in the first place, lol

·
Registered
43 Posts
In reguards to ETA. We dropped our 300 a couple of months ago and cracked the large side faring. It took a couple of months to get a new one. It came broken in several places. (I posted photos in another thread) The replacement was ordered a couple of weeks ago. Dealer checked for me yesterday and was told by Kawasaki it was still backorderd and would be 7-8 weeks minimum and are you ready for this.......... it could be September at the outside!!!!!! Lucky for me the crack in the faring is small and just cosmetic so we can still use the bike.

The dealer put it in a request to expedite it, what ever that means. I was told demand is very high and apparently they cant make them fast enough, so most go to new bikes and they only release a few at a time for parts.

I wonder if some of the delay has to do with a re-design? I have had our fairings off several times for mods and I have never had any gaps. I wonder if it was a bad batch or something.

21 - 40 of 930 Posts