Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 930 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i will put together a bit of a saga im going thru to get my fairing issue sorted out

on wednesday march 6th 2013 my bike went in to dealer to have power commander 5 fitted & fairing inspected.

dealer said nothing they can do about fairing popped out as their demo does the same too.

opened up the owners manual & found the address for kwaka Australia head office & wrote them a letter & told them about the fairing popping out & also included photos of both the left/right side fairings under the handle bars with the gap about 5mm wide on both sides,

kwaka took a few weeks but they sent me a letter and i got it yesterday & tole me to get in touch with the dealer again to return bike to them to look at it again

i just called them now, the bike is now booked in for monday 8th april 2013, had a chat to the service manager who spoke to kwaka about it. apparently there's some clips that need to be inspected/adjusted in the fairing

i suspect after seeing the inside of the fairing that the clips from the factory are not the best & im betting after they inspect & cand cant fix it there will have to be parts ordered in to replace/repair it with, just like another forum member in Brisbane, Queensland went thru & waited 2 months for the parts from kwaka to arrive for his bike to be fixed.

so for all the nay sayers who believe you can fix issues on your bike yourself by not writing to the kwaka like it says to in the back of the owners manual, best of luck getting your issues resolved be it the fairing or the stalling issues.

i will post up next week after i get my bike back & let you know whats happening.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Same. I will take mine in too if the problem is going to be looked at properly and fixed properly, not just a half ass attempt by the dealer to budge it up so it "looks" like its fixed.

Keep us updated on that for sure cruizin, you lead the way yet again.......;)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi guys, i'm the other forum member CRUIZIN was talking about on the heading of this post. Yep it took about 2 months to get all sorted out, but it was worth it, no more fairing gaps after some parts were ordered and replaced. No costs involved, just a very polite email i wrote to Kawi Australia about it and after that the servicing mechanic at my dealership was helpful. So again, as i said a million times before, we've paid good money for our bikes, especially here in Australia with warranties and plus plus plus, anyway if your dealership doesn't give a f...k about some minor or major issues with your bikes, just email their big bosses and they'll take care of you as they should, after all their business survive because of all of us.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Are there new, improved parts or did they just replace with the same part?

We all know that the same parts will not fix it for but a short time. I don't see anything they could replace except the actual fairing panel with a better locking tab or another bolt/pin that would stop it from happening again.

Do you have a part number of what they replaced?

·
Registered
993 Posts
Are there new, improved parts or did they just replace with the same part?

We all know that the same parts will not fix it for but a short time. I don't see anything they could replace except the actual fairing panel with a better locking tab or another bolt/pin that would stop it from happening again.

Do you have a part number of what they replaced?
Ditto on wanting to know the part number of items replaced...i'm interested in knowing what clips are bad and where they are located.
Mines not gapping so far, but would like to have all my ducks in a row if I ever have to take it in for this problem.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hey Guys.
Is this what you are referring to? I have just noticed it on my ride but it only appears to be on the RHS at the moment. I am going to ask the dealer about it at first service. Please post on updates.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
The clips are integrated into the fairing panels so no simple replacement hardware. It is sub standard quality, nothing less than that. Poorly designed, poorly executed.

Without a redesigned part, I don't see it getting permanently repaired.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Guys.
Is this what you are referring to? I have just noticed it on my ride but it only appears to be on the RHS at the moment. I am going to ask the dealer about it at first service. Please post on updates.
yes mate that is exactly what we are talking about.

when i asked about it on 1st service i was told there was nothing they could do.

i thought, yeah what ever, i didnt tell them im a mod on this forum & seen some photos on how to fix it, but the fix only lasts about a week or so.

so about 2 months later i took bike back to get the pc5 fitted & asked again, & they told me nothing the could do, its the same as a demo model so live with it.

so off goes a letter to kwaka head office. 3-4 weeks later i get a reply.

bike goes in tomorrow morning.i wont be able to pick the bike up till tuesday morning though. i dont finish work till 5 & the bike shop closes at 5 as well.

if the dealer rings me & lets me know what they did to fix the bike i will post up tomorrow what they did, but if not, you will have to wait till tuesday when i pick it back up

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The clips are integrated into the fairing panels so no simple replacement hardware. It is sub standard quality, nothing less than that. Poorly designed, poorly executed.

Without a redesigned part, I don't see it getting permanently repaired.
your spot on the money here. im seriously thinking about taking my flip video camera and shoving it inside the fairing and recording it and put it on your tube just incase the dealer decides to put some tape on the inside of the fairing to hold it together.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... i might just do that later today

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
If that were the case EVERYONE would have the problem.... I'm not the only one who doesn't. And please, for the love of God, stop saying "give it time, it will". Had mine since December.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Bran, you posted the vid on how to "fix" it, right? Unfortunately, the tightening sequence you explain has no mechanical benefit. The flimsy fairings and barely locking clips are not a cylinder head or auto wheel bolted to a machine flat hub surface.

Cross torqueing bolts on a flexible panel has zero affect and if you can explain how it does I'd love to hear it.

In the meantime, it will strike your bike again. It is just a matter of hitting the right bump at the right speed to shake it loose.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I explained it in the video. I didn't have gaps to begin with....I took my fairing off to mod something..when I put my fairing back on,I had gaps. I was curious as to how and took off all fairing. Put them back in sequence (as stated in video) and had no gaps. I even took it a step further and tightened the front two screws under the headlight first, and worked my way back toward the seat and had side gaps. I never said my "fix" worked for everybody. It worked for me. I can't so much as get a fingernail between my fairing. I ride all the time. I put 150 miles on it just today. I would take more pictures and give you more videos, but it's obviously pointless to try to tell you since your mind is made up. Again, I'm not going to argue this with you, you have gaps...I don't.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
You don't have gaps today... but you will again because the method you believe prevents yours from popping out has no basic mechanical reason to be valid.

;)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Bran, you posted the vid on how to "fix" it, right? Unfortunately, the tightening sequence you explain has no mechanical benefit. The flimsy fairings and barely locking clips are not a cylinder head or auto wheel bolted to a machine flat hub surface.

Cross torqueing bolts on a flexible panel has zero affect and if you can explain how it does I'd love to hear it.

In the meantime, it will strike your bike again. It is just a matter of hitting the right bump at the right speed to shake it loose.
Take a look at the service manual, it gives you a proper sequence of tightening the fasteners for the middle fairings. But gives no specifics for the rest of the fairings, so there must be something to it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I just noticed the very front nose of the fairing doesn't look so snug either? Maybe it's just me....

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hey Guys.

can someone take a picture of this farther away, i cant see where thats at with the picture so close

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
can someone take a picture of this farther away, i cant see where thats at with the picture so close

im uploading a video on it as we speak, as soon as it is up i will post it here, just relax, im on to it;)

1 - 20 of 930 Posts