Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone thinking about pod style filters? Here is a image of them on the 250R. Can ditch the air box and some dead weight at the same time.. Put a pre-filter over it and you will be safe in the rain. I am debating trying this out just because.. Not sure how well I will do without a power commander though..

·
Registered
554 Posts
Not a bad modification. It really doesn't do a whole lot though. Does add to the sound factor a bit. Also depending on if its dry or oil type the maintenance has to be there as well.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 250r guys swear by them because it makes changing the jets a lot easier.. Took some extra research to find what the 250R EFI guys think.. No noticeable changes power wise with the stock tune, but a huge sound difference. When a tuner was installed they noticed a huge difference but.. But no one ever answers this.. Was the huge difference because of the mod or because the bike runs lean from the factory haha..

I do love getting rid of extra unneeded parts though :)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Been doing some additional reading on these. I suspect a tune would be needed to make it worth while, and to prevent a lean fuel air mixture. The maintenance needs also seem to go up since the Pod style filters seem to get dirty faster for whatever reason.

With that in mind I think I'll just leave the air box alone and just replace the stock filter with a K&N or equivalent filter. But if you are looking to tune anyways, and maybe avoid the really crazy down pours, this could be a good mod.

I'm curious about the noise difference too. Just for fun.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
A guy from Denver on the Ninja300.org forum tried to fit a 250 POD filter to his 300...and it worked :)

"I ordered a K&N pod filter R-0990, the same one used on the Ninja 250, on a hunch. I had a feeling that it would fit on the 300 and I knew most people wouldn't just order one for testing.
Today I decided try the new filter since I needed to change the oil and I would already be in the garage. I removed all of the bodywork except for the headlight shroud. Then I removed the undertail. As i started removing the airbox I noticed a sensor on top that isn't there on the 250 airbox. I took the sensor off the box and it looks like an intake temperature sensor. I test fitted the pod filter and suspicion confirmed. It fits perfectly. I used a drill bit slightly smaller than the probe on the sensor and drilled a hole in the upper left of the filter cap. then I used a very small drillbit to make hole for the screw to keep the sensor in place.
I still need to get a small filter for the crank case ventilation and some more oil before I even start it.

It was snowing today so I have no idea if there are any issues with it, but now you know so you can pick up where I left off if you are in a more tempered climate than Denver."

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some of the 250R guys claim they have ridden though crazy storms and ankle deep water with no pre-filter and not had any issues..

Also a pre-filter would really keep the dirt and muck off the filter.. I dont know how much you guys know about 250R bikes, but the air box is not that amazing at least to me.. My wifes has less than 4000 miles on it and the airbox is full of mud, muck, oil, leaf pieces and pine needles.. The stock filter looks like its starting to deteriorate and its only 3 years old and if I remember correctly the stock filter is a lifetime filter it should just be cleaned and oiled with motor oil..

·
Registered
221 Posts
Looks pretty good. So it works fine without any tuning?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Looks pretty good. So it works fine without any tuning?
Yeah it should work fine, and I believe the EFI should be able to re-calibrate the fuel mixture to accomedate the extra airflow. But I'm not sure If you would see any power increases until you get a tuning module such as a power commander....However i could be wrong, maybe the stock EFI module can adjust to it well enough on its own.

Anyone have any thoughts? I always thought the 250R people needed a tune to realize their gains because the carb can't adjust the air/fuel mix on it's own, but since our efi can, maybe we will see gains? Feasible maybe?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I really doubt that this would allow any gains in power. With the way modern EFI system's work a filter could be clogged to the point of busting apart and the computer would still be able to adjust for the amount of air coming in and adjust fuel mixtures for it to allow the best power and efficiency with what it has. If anything the oiled filters may end up making the mileage worse if the oil were to cover the mass air flow sensor, I'm 90% sure the 300 has one, and not let it get proper reading's.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I really doubt that this would allow any gains in power. With the way modern EFI system's work a filter could be clogged to the point of busting apart and the computer would still be able to adjust for the amount of air coming in and adjust fuel mixtures for it to allow the best power and efficiency with what it has. If anything the oiled filters may end up making the mileage worse if the oil were to cover the mass air flow sensor, I'm 90% sure the 300 has one, and not let it get proper reading's.
Hey Thriller, i see your logic and appricate your point and am not really disagreeing, but rather asking, going along with what you said about the EFI making the best power with whats available, don't you think with the increased air available to the engine due to the decreased restriction of the pod filter, don't you think based on what you said, the EFI could use that extra available air to adjust the fuel mixture and make more power as a result? Is that feasible? if not does anyone know why?

I'm just curious how a power commander with say "autotune" can automatically adjust your mixture for optimum power, whereas they say the bike stock EFI module can adjust the mixture to compensate for a new exhaust or air filter etc. but you won't GAIN any power until you get a tuning module. Does the stock efi module just adjust the mixture for optimum efficency or something other than optimum power output? That would make sense, that the stock module automatically adjusts the mixture for the best efficency rather than power. This is generally what I think. Is this how it is or am I wrong? Thanks for any and all info!

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The ECU only recalibrates if you have a closed loop ECU. Anyone know enough about the 300 to know if its open or close loop? And even in this case it will only recalibrate back to the factory condition, which is typically lean... So you may only slightly gain more performance because your still running in a lean condition..

Open Loop
Open loop simply means there is no feedback of the result to the ECU. This means there is no measuring of the exhaust gas to see how the bike is running. The fuel injected is determined by the RPM and throttle position, derived from fuel injector pulse width numbers stored in the fuel maps, and is trimmed for environmental conditions due to air temperature, air pressure and engine temperature.

Closed Loop
Closed loop means there is feedback of the result to the ECU. This means there is sensing or measuring of the exhaust gas to see how the bike is running. This sensing is done by a O2 sensor(s).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts