Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking this would be a good mod to do next. Question is I would like to know from the guys/gals that have pods on their bikes know how are they. Was it a great pain in the rear to remove the air box. And how long does it normally take.
I want to know as much as I can before committing to this mod.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
The air box is the biggest pain in the world to move.. If you dont plan on going back to stock then hack the crap out of the airbox to remove it.. Otherwise you need to pretty much take the whole back end off the bike to get it out..

I like it because it makes the bike easier to work on and just cleans up the overall look of things :D

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
I melted and chopped mine. Took near an hour. Total PITA, but the filter access isn't that bad, pop off one side seat panel. I may trim the fairing on the sides to get more room too.

The noise is massively increased, and it isn't pretty to listen to.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I don't think so, you need to remove the seat and rear fairings, the hugger and the under tail, and all the electronics and battery, then the air box slides straight backwards..i think there is only 2 bolts holding in the air box.. Personally if you are set on the mods then you might as well just hack up the air box..

No joke when we say its a huge pain in the ass, only thing harder is installing protector headlights haha

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Its easy, you it just clamps on, once the air box it removed installing the filter itself takes all of a minute to slip it on and tighten the clamps..

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
there is only 1 sensor, the IAT sensor, I just zip tied it to the frame.. Or you can drill a hole in the air filter and attache it to the filter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Will i meed a tune up once the pod is on i already have a screamin demon pipe on with the pod will it run to lean or will it adapt?

Sent from my GT-P7320T using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I get no warning lights with the IAT sensor zip tied to the frame.. Its stock condition is just a hole in the air box that its screwed into, I am sure the sensor doesnt know if its inside the air box or outside it :D

The pod filter will REALLY messed with my tune, with my full exhaust and tuner, when I installed my pod filter the bike was next to unusable above 10k rpm and and I had a huge flat spot around 4-5k.. Once I got a new tune from Area-P if fixed that issue though.. I could only image how bad it would be if you have a full exhaust without a tuner...

The USA bikes do not have a o2 sensor, so they wont adapt.. If your country has an o2 sensor, it should adapt to its factory a:f condition..

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Will it need a retune once the pod is on? I already have a screamin demon pipe on
You tell me I just answered the question haha.. My bike was tuned to begin with and it ran like crap with the pod filter.. I can see a stock bike being worse than mine since its A/F is even worse..

Do you have an o2 sensor? Since I dont know where your located, just look at the exhaust pipe.. If so you should be ok.. If not then your probably out of luck and will need a tune...

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Even with an O2 sensor I'm sure it will not adjust far enough to compensate. Get a tune and do them together.

Another note, I went to the hardware store and bought a 5/16" nipple and 2' of 5/16" clear tube.

I heated the trans/crank vent hoes to bend it to 90 degrees, then added the nipple and the 2' hose which I ran up, in front of the battery and into the tail section. I free vent my stuff but you could add a filter wherever you terminate the hose. I chose to run it up and far so any mist that ends up in the tube will eventually migrate back to the vent port and hopefully back in the sump courtesy of gravity, my best friend.

I can also see thru the tube to keep an eye on oil migration, if it becomes an issue it would usually mean blow by from the rings.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok cool im thinking ill ring up one of these companies and have the send me a chip suited to my setup on my bike with a pipe and podfilter then tuner that should do me. I hope im really new with bikes but i am learning thanks for all your help guys

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Truthfully, and I might change my mind after the full blown Area-P tune for pods, but right now...

If I knew it would be this obnoxiously loud in the rider seat from the pod filter, I'd have stuck with the air box. :eek:

I rode a few hours today and the drone is a big, big drag. It never was a pretty sounding engine anyway so quieter is better IMO. Think about how much you are willing to tolerate as far as noise.

I'll let you know if the new tune makes it worth the suffering.

·
Registered
42 Posts
which one should I go with? rubber or stainless? and most importantly... why? since the price is about the same...:confused:

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts