Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Guys, this is my first post and Im just mainly looking for some help. About a month ago I bought my ninja 300 and being the inexperienced driver i am i dumped it going up my drive way on the shifting side of the bike. I was only going about 15mph and laid it down in the grass. I picked up the bike and the shift lever was bent back wards to the point it was touching the foot peg. I had to walk the bike back down the driveway with the clutch in.
I took it out the next day and reset the shift lever to the normal position and I noticed that the shift rod was bent. Now I only have 1st and neutral even when i ride it around and get it moving i cant get it past 1st. I ordered a new shift rod and it wouldnt work with my aftermarket rearsets. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rearset-Rea...m35f10d7ee0:m:mJi5vJvw_geB8OCAeQK9Slg&vxp=mtr)
Would a bent shift rod have anything to do with this or did i actually mess something up? Also It wont start anymore.(started it countless times after accident) maybe a dead battery?
I dont really want to take it to a dealer because i dont want to lose an arm and a leg on something that could be a simple fix.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
it's possible that the shift rod is touching something and preventing from fully turning the spline. look at it from all angles and make sure nothing is touching anywhere. can you bend the damaged shift rod back? The problem with a bent shit rod is that it's no longer rigid, even after you bend it back, and it will slightly bend where the damage occurred, preventing from fully turning the spline. I've run into this problem before and the only solution was replacing damaged rod. your only option may be to order the complete rearset kit again or see if that rearset was modeled after an aftermarket kit that sells here in the states, like Sato or Vortex, and see if their shift rod will fit your rearsets.

when it doesn't turn on, how does it act? does it slowly crank but doesn't turn on, or does it just make a clicking noise one time when you push the start button, or does it turn over just fine but doesn't turn on, etc?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ordered a whole new rear set but it wasant the same size shift rod the one they sent me was 6inches long the one i need is 4 and 11/16ths
The bike will turn on and i will have power to everything but when i hit the start button it wont start.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
a slow crank = weak battery. was it behaving like a weak battery or did the bike just stop coming on all of a sudden?

no crank = dead battery or something else. check the voltage to the battery to rule it out. should be over 12.4 volts. The closer to 13 volts, the better, but no more than 14 volts.

Check your kick stand switch and make sure the wires aren't ripped. It looks like a forked switch at the top of your kick stand. you sure it has gas?

Also, check your main fuse. it's a 30 amp fuse along your red battery cable.

Flip your kill switch a few times along with your key. could be your bank angle sensor is acting up from the fall. flipping the kill switch with the key on resets it.

If you do have to send it to the dealer, send it with the fairings off and the tank ready to lift up. this cuts down on their man hours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.