Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weather permitting, I'm planning on taking my bike from Southern California to Northern California in early April. 430 miles from Palmdale to Grass Valley to be exact. Even though I've been on and off of street bikes for 20 plus years I've never done a road trip of any distance.

Going up north to celebrate with my twin nieces for their 30th birthday and my 50th birthday since we are only four days apart and they are both "milestone" occasions. Cool for them, Boooooo for me :p

Since I just started riding again after a ten or so year hiatus I need to gear up. I have a tail bag designed to hold a helmet and then some, pretty decent volume. I plan to buy at the very least a good backpack and at the very most a tank bag. Aside from having a bit of cargo space for a weekend of clothing, what would you consider as essential for a 400+ mile ride on a bike in an afternoon? From riding gear to taking breaks along the way? From the seemingly obvious to the most obscure? Don't forget to include FOOD ;)

This is what I have right now for apparel:

Pants: Sedici Alexi 3
http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/sedici_alexi_3_season_mesh_motorcycle_pants/web1011685

Boots: Sedici Lorenzo
http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/sedici_lorenzo_waterproof_leather_motorcycle_boots/web1006288

Jacket: Fieldsheer Crossroads
http://www.bertsmegamall.com/eshopprod_cat_8015-64085_prodtree_f2-024-02151-013318_product_1262255.FIELDSHEER_CROSSROADSJACKET.htm

Gloves: Alpinestars ST-1 Drystar
http://www.alpinestars.com/st-1-drystar-gloves.html#.UTq7ejAWK9E

I think they will serve me well enough but you never know. You can plan all you like but mother nature and your fellow traveler always have something up their sleeve...

Share your long distance wisdom and anecdotes and maybe we can all learn a bit from this thread...

Thanks...

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Preparation-H.... Family size
This is really, truly, mind-boggling useful information coming from an ass hole. Very insightful...

No back story of when you went on a long ride and forgot your prep H? The story begs to be told!

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
I have yet to make a long trip on the 300 but my other bikes I have found the best thing is a good seat pad. No amount of gear or other stuff makes a long ride more bearable.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Make sure to have some sort of rain gear if possible. You never know when the weather is just going to change.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Also I recommend a 1 peace suit like this http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/67/912/36/ITEM/Firstgear-Thermo-One-Piece-Suit.aspx
really something that will keep the wind and rain out and make riding in bad weather not as bad.
That's one of my concerns...looking for something that can be easily stowed but available if needed. Not going to have a lot cargo space like a full dresser.

I'm assuming you have one of these? I'm 6' and a slender 160. Can you recommend a size? I'll dig through the reviews to see if there is a consensus on fit....

Thanks for the link....

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
That is why I like this suit as its a little big so I roll it up like a bed roll and you can strap it down really well. So it wont take up room in a bag like a cheep rain suit will.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
ear plugs

some kind of throttle lock/palm rest/ cruise control

"camel back" with water in it on your back to stop yourself dehydrating

power socket under the seat so you can charge your phone while riding

touring screen

handle bar risers

radiator grille so rocks etc dont smash it and you dont get stuck by the side of the road in the the middle of no where

ventura rack

im sure i can think of more

·
Registered
993 Posts
I'm like you mal, I plan on a long trip next month (florida to north carolina) and have never tripped on a sport bike. On the harley you always have room for everything, i'm trying to figure how to do it on a small bike.
So far may plans for the backpack are for clothes, bottom of bag regular shoes, then two pair of jeans,then shirts and undergarments, top of that bath essentials (travel size), then on the very top a rain outfit (i'll probably use my harley one since its in a bag about 8" x 12")
In the outside pockets i'll probably stow a set of tools, couple of water bottles and assorted snacks.
Sound like what you are going to do?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Don't bother with drinks or snacks. I found when traveling by bike it's best to get off the road and get your drinks and food so you can get off the bike for a few moments and stretch the legs and take a mental break. Staying fresh when riding alone is so important. Plus you are usually helping out a small business with your purchases and will more than likely meet people who want to talk to you about your bike. You be surprise how many people want to talk to you, the motorcyclist. On my Ducati it was always young women who wanted to talk to me ;)

Gear I never leave home without is my phone and way to charge it (power cord to the bike or spare battery), emergency tire repair kit (stem remover, plug kit, portable air inflator), and cash (sometimes credit cards can't be used).

·
Registered
865 Posts
I wold highly suggest a hard case, they are a very nice use of place and are petty water resistant, you can pack the living hell out of em too. plus strap more on top of the thing, and put stuff strapped to your seat too.

Other than that I second what cruzin says! =D

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
hard cases are incredibly expensive. if you use ventura bags or the likes, when you put your gear inside, put it in plastic bags incase it rains, nothing worse then arriving at your destination and have a shower & find your clothes are soaking wet from the rain you have rode thru

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lots of good stuff...thanks folks.

I'll be hitting all the rest stops along the way to stretch. I'm not much of a snack type. I usually drive straight through without stopping for food but a granola bar or two just in case would be good. A hydration pack would be nice. My camel back doesn't hold much though...

My new helmet seems to be a bit noisier than my old Shoei so the ear plugs sound like a good idea. Any particular brand/type you can recommend cruizin? Love the ones I use for shooting but they wouldn't work with a helmet. The cheap little foam ones never compress right and end up being next to useless for me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Last june I rode 180 miles to atlanta, then after stayin 2 nights 450 miles to tampa, then around 450miles home. All I did was make sure I had rain gear, multiple phones for gps (I keep my old phones so I can use them as gps then turn on my active phone when I get close), clothes and made sure I could trust my bike. Oh and strong trashbags to cover my stuff if it rains, and bungee cords. I am not mentioning the obvious clothes, toothbrush, and phone charger. Oh funny thing I forgot to check all bolts and my foot peg (the rubber part on the peg to be exact fell apart right outside of atlanta. So check everything that may fail just to be safe, and enjjoy the adventure

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
My new helmet seems to be a bit noisier than my old Shoei so the ear plugs sound like a good idea. Any particular brand/type you can recommend cruizin? Love the ones I use for shooting but they wouldn't work with a helmet. The cheap little foam ones never compress right and end up being next to useless for me.
the ear plugs i use i bought about 10 years ago and still going strong

http://www.earmold.com.au/

http://www.earmold.com.au/Insta-Mold-Custom-Made-Earplugs/View-all-products.html

i dont know if they are available overseas or not

magic stuff. its basically a silicone gel stuff that gets shoved in your ear for a little while and then removed and it sets. still flexable and lasts for years

·
Registered
151 Posts
A hydration pack would be nice. My camel back doesn't hold much though...

I shortened the URL cuz it was ridiculously long, but these are awesome ear plugs. We used some like these when i was in the military.

http://tinyurl.com/a2452vh

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
back on topic for a second, make sure you have some kind of RACQ or in the usa i think its called AAA road side assistance so if you break down a tilt truck can come & get you & take you to the next town or closest place to get your bike fixxed

1 - 20 of 41 Posts