Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently signed up to this forum. Already read some great information on the ninja 300. Thank you all!!
I'm wondering if anyone has noticed any noises, specifically, after riding and shutting down the bike. What I've noticed thus far is that sometime within shortly after shutting down I hear a pinging from the engine area. Seems to ping about every couple of mins or so. The ping sounds like the inital sound a tuning fork makes when striking it. Is this normal?

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
Its the gas tank. All normal. Carry on.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
You're just hearing the aftereffects of the heat soaking process followed by the cooling process. When you turn the engine off after a ride, a large amount of heat builds up due to the radiator also shutting off along with a loss of airflow. A lot of newer bikes and cars though will have the radiator fan stay on for a bit after shutdown to help with the heat soaking although the pump is still off. I have yet to have the 300 in anywhere hot enough yet to see if our bikes have this. So far I haven't heard anything after shutdown other than the regular ticking and pops and not having a temp gauge means I have no idea what engine, oil, or coolant temperature is at. I guess since I don't have an engine light come on I should be good.

The gas tank venting wont making a pinging or metallic sound to it. It'll sound like a whistle as it really starts venting. And due to heat soaking on shut down, the gas tank can heat up a bit causing it to vent too. When summer comes around, do not be surprised to hear the gas cap vent a bit. Don't know if the gas cap on CA bikes vent outwards. I know they do allow air to be sucked in though. Would defeat the purpose of an EVAP system and cannister if it just gets vented out through the cap.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
This just sounds like the exhaust system cooling down to me, as soon as you turn of your bike you will hear little "tings". More pronounced with full stainless too.

·
Registered
128 Posts
self destruct mode may be activated by a pressure sensor under the seat when you get off. careful with that. to dis engage you have to stay on the bike and keep riding :cool:

sounds like you have been getting pretty lucky so far, but you may need to go get back on your bike- just to be safe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're just hearing the aftereffects of the heat soaking process followed by the cooling process. When you turn the engine off after a ride, a large amount of heat builds up due to the radiator also shutting off along with a loss of airflow. A lot of newer bikes and cars though will have the radiator fan stay on for a bit after shutdown to help with the heat soaking although the pump is still off. I have yet to have the 300 in anywhere hot enough yet to see if our bikes have this. So far I haven't heard anything after shutdown other than the regular ticking and pops and not having a temp gauge means I have no idea what engine, oil, or coolant temperature is at. I guess since I don't have an engine light come on I should be good.

The gas tank venting wont making a pinging or metallic sound to it. It'll sound like a whistle as it really starts venting. And due to heat soaking on shut down, the gas tank can heat up a bit causing it to vent too. When summer comes around, do not be surprised to hear the gas cap vent a bit. Don't know if the gas cap on CA bikes vent outwards. I know they do allow air to be sucked in though. Would defeat the purpose of an EVAP system and cannister if it just gets vented out through the cap.
thanks for the input everyone. I wasn't sure what to make of it.... since it doesn't sound like the normal crackling I've heard on a hot summer's day after you park your car. Although not summer, and living in BC where temps are temperate and riding in rainy conditions I didn't expect to hear distinct pings like someone tapping something metal and it oscillating for a second, just sounded different....thanks for the reassurance, I will watch oil and coolant levels :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts