Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been riding for a year on the s20 Evos that came with my bike (winter test edition), and they're beginning to wear down. I do a mix of moderate commuting, a few ~1000 mile road trips a year, and enjoy hitting the twisties for hours on the weekend.

I'm looking for tires that have good longevity and wet weather performance and the pilot street radials seem perfect for that. My main concern is if the change in grip between the PSR and the s20 evos will be a problem. I've never dragged knee or reached lean angles close to touching peg feelers (and don't want to either on the street).

For this type of riding, would an inexperienced rider notice a significant drop in grip? If anyone can speak to the longevity of the s20 evos compared to the PSRs that would be greatly helpful as well.

If there are other recommendations for tires I'm all ears, but I'd prefer to stay on below ~$300 unless the tires boast series mileage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is only my two cents. I have replaced my stock IRC roadwinners with the PSRs about a month ago and I could immediately feel a difference in the handling of the bike, specially when turning. It feels like the bike WANTS to lean. Steering is much more lighter and precise.

I'm only a novice rider and does not have the skills to scrape pegs or drag knees, but occasionally do lean quite a bit in the twisties and there has not been one instance that the bike felt unstable due to bad grip. Okay, I don't have any experience regarding the s20 Evos, but I think the S20 Evo lean towards the street sportbike segment and the PSRs is more towards sport touring, therefore it will give you probably more mileage without actual big difference in grip.

I have read somewhere that some track schools even fit sports touring tyres to their bikes because they’re cheaper, last longer, and they know that it would take a very experienced rider to get to the point where they feel like the tyre is holding them back. I am happy with the PSRs in relation to what I've had. You’re never going to find a tyre that will have you knee scratching on a Sunday, then going The Long Way Round on the Monday. Tyres will always be a compromise between sporty performance and durability. I think both tyres are very good in their price range and won't disappoint you. Good luck with your decision and I know you will make the right choice.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have no experience with the S20s, but FWIW, I have had PSRs on my Ninja for the last two years, and I absolutely love them. I currently have 14,075 miles on my PSRs and they still have plenty of life left. My riding is a fairly balanced mix of in-town errands, freeway road trips and backroad twisties. Plenty of grip even in pouring rain. Sakkie's comment that the bike WANTS to lean over is accurate. I felt an immediate difference when I first got them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi just butting in, I've have long motorcycling experience now @ 58-59 recently using a baby Ninja. My main reason is a small 3.5m commute to work etc, using Dunlop SS tires wows warns up within 1 m excellent grip in dry or wet! Ok maybe not economy brill? but even touched knee down on a track day love them increasing confidence the excellent grip🏍😁😎👍

1 - 6 of 6 Posts