Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to get some more performance out of my bike. I already have upgraded the looks of the bike with a fender eliminator kit, and aftermarket levers.

As far as the performance side of things all i have on the bike is an Leo Vince slip on exhaust. Does anyone know of any good websites or deals for chips or some trick to re-map the ecu to get added horsepower?

·
Banned
277 Posts
Dynojet PCV would be your best option.

If you want more power then ditch the slip on (which on saves weight and doesn't really make power) and go with a full system.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
depends on how much money you have at your disposal. if you are flushed with cash, then get the pc5 & full system, if not, pc5 & slipon with k&n air cleaner

remember its 300cc not a zx-14r

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i know, i went with the 300 because it was my first bike, and didn't want something retarded fast, or a used bike, i really wished that i would of went with the 636. I just wasn't sure if someone has made a chip for it yet

·
Banned
277 Posts
i know, i went with the 300 because it was my first bike, and didn't want something retarded fast, or a used bike, i really wished that i would of went with the 636. I just wasn't sure if someone has made a chip for it yet
You don't usually get 'chips' for bikes like you do cars, you either go with a piggy-back controller or a flash.

·
Registered
630 Posts
You're not going to really get a noticeable gain out of an EFI tuner. I noticed it was a bit smoother throughout the rev range when I put my tuner on, but the real gains will come with exhaust mods. Either full system or decat. I'm having a decat done (bike is in the shop atm). I already have a Leo Vince slip-on and the decat is going to run me $160, so it's not too bad for the money.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Ya know, everyone on here talks about getting a piggyback ecu tuner (power commander, area-p etc.) And they are great tools but unless you take it to get it dyno tuned you will be using some other company's or someone else's "off the shelf" tune/map. Also, how many times do you plan on changing the tune anyway? For myself I have decided to gather my parts - full exhaust, spark plugs and K&N panel filter and then bring the bike to a local, reputable tuner to have the stock ecu reflashed/tuned on a dyno. It will cost $300 for a session and I will know that my tune is safe, reliable and made for MY bike and location (elevation) exactly. I don't see the point in spending $250 - $350 on a piggyback that will not be used to change my tune often, if ever. On top of that, if I ever really really wanted to go back to stock, the reflash is reversible.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Ya know, everyone on here talks about getting a piggyback ecu tuner (power commander, area-p etc.) And they are great tools but unless you take it to get it dyno tuned you will be using some other company's or someone else's "off the shelf" tune/map. Also, how many times do you plan on changing the tune anyway? For myself I have decided to gather my parts - full exhaust, spark plugs and K&N panel filter and then bring the bike to a local, reputable tuner to have the stock ecu reflashed/tuned on a dyno. It will cost $300 for a session and I will know that my tune is safe, reliable and made for MY bike and location (elevation) exactly. I don't see the point in spending $250 - $350 on a piggyback that will not be used to change my tune often, if ever. On top of that, if I ever really really wanted to go back to stock, the reflash is reversible.
The only problem with that I see is if something goes wrong on your bike and Kawasaki need to take a look, that would be a warranty voiding scenario once they find out (IF they find out) you have had the ECU played with. Unless of course you have the time to take the bike or the ECU itself back to the shop that flashed the ECU and have it reversed before you were to take it to Kawasaki for them to look at it. And if the bike happens to be in an unrideable condition, you would have to transport it to the shop and then transport it again to Kawasaki. Worst case scenario, but something to think about. Easily reversed, but when you would need it reversed in a hurry in case of a warranty issue, it is gonna be a bit of a muck around.

In contrast to the tuner, which you simply unplug, remove and nobody would even know it was there in the first place.

But that being said, you also get the dyno run included in that price of 300 bucks, so pretty good all up and will definitely be more personalised to your particular mods and conditions.

Just something to keep in mind........

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well if the piggyback company makes maps they are tuned to the most popular mods. Then there is only a slight variation in the tune depending on your location. So why not save the money your gonna use on the dyno and spend it elsewhere. Dyno won't squeeze that much extra hp.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
128 Posts
A slip on will help with sound and if you use a tuner to remap the ECU it should help with throttle response and a little bit of midrange power and mabe a tiny bit up top. But iIf you want real extra HP then you have to go with a full exhaust.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
The only problem with that I see is if something goes wrong on your bike and Kawasaki need to take a look, that would be a warranty voiding scenario once they find out (IF they find out) you have had the ECU played with. Unless of course you have the time to take the bike or the ECU itself back to the shop that flashed the ECU and have it reversed before you were to take it to Kawasaki for them to look at it. And if the bike happens to be in an unrideable condition, you would have to transport it to the shop and then transport it again to Kawasaki. Worst case scenario, but something to think about. Easily reversed, but when you would need it reversed in a hurry in case of a warranty issue, it is gonna be a bit of a muck around.

In contrast to the tuner, which you simply unplug, remove and nobody would even know it was there in the first place.

But that being said, you also get the dyno run included in that price of 300 bucks, so pretty good all up and will definitely be more personalised to your particular mods and conditions.

Just something to keep in mind........
The greatest benefit for a programmable tuner is that you can change it up for when you make a configuration change or if you make a location change. It's a very useful tool if you race your bike or go on the road. Lets you change the tune based off of relative temps, humidity, and PA to keep it as efficient as possible. Most people here who use them though aren't this thorough with their tuning.

OP You would think with a name like Mtheengineer that we should be asking YOU about what we could do to improve performance. ;)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Well if the piggyback company makes maps they are tuned to the most popular mods. Then there is only a slight variation in the tune depending on your location. So why not save the money your gonna use on the dyno and spend it elsewhere. Dyno won't squeeze that much extra hp.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
What do you mean save the money spent on the dyno? You would save money by having it dyno tuned and reflashed ($300) as opposed to buying a piggyback ($250-350) that you probably wont ever use more than once to put an off the shelf map on your bike after installing an exhaust and air filter. A bike is different than a car in the tuning sense. You do not need to have a piggyback or COBB Accessport to dyno tune it. Some tuners have the software and ability to reflash your stock ECU on bikes.

Dyno for our bikes would not be about squeezing HP. Although I guarantee if you dyno your bike with an off the shelf map compared to a custom map for you, the custom map would yield more. It would be about having the safest, most reliable and efficient tune possible for the setup you are running. No two ninja 300s (with the same mods) will run the same A/F ratio, timing etc from the same "off the shelf map". Every bike is a little different. All i'm saying is a reflash can be less expensive and more customized to YOUR bike and setup.
Sure you can switch parts and tunes with the piggyback but how many people are going to decide they want to change their exhaust/filter after they have one installed? Yes if you race, get a piggyback but even then if you are serious about racing you would want to have it dyno'd so you could keep the map for a specific track and fuel octane.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts