Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2013 theft recovery, front impact, salvage Ninja 300 from a Copart auction, and yesterday I got a rebuilt title for it. Aside from being damaged and doused in goofy purple peel off paint by the thief, it was mistreated by it's owner, an I ended up with a considerable amount of general maintenance work to make it roadworthy, like the headstock bearings, both calipers and master cylinders rebuilt, sprockets and chain, a coil pack, a cam chain tensioner, undoing all the wirenuts and duct taped wiring, and a host of other things. Not to mention all the fairing, associated brackets, headlight. turn signals, on and on. It will be my daughters, first bike, and you damn well better bet it will be solid.... as it turns out motorcycles are pretty cheap when daddy puts 1000 hours of labor into them.

The little bike was easy to work on compared to my Italian bikes, other than Kawasaki using red loctite in wholly inappropriate places and MASSIVELY over torquing various bolts, apparently from the factory I really enjoyed it.

see if you can tell the before and after from the pictures:wink2:

Thanks for looking.

Tracy

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
Wow, AWESOME!!! Your daughter has an awesome Dad, and that bike went to a great home!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Tracyt - excellent work on the bike and welcome! Fixing that bike up looks like a ton of work...what do you think you spent on repairing the bike vs buying a used one in good condition? Curious if you were able to do it on the cheap or did you do it purely for the fun of repairing a bike?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was probably about the same, possibly even slightly more than buying a used bike. It always is.... That is working under the assumption that you can find a used bike that meets you need. There are ALWAYS banged up ones in salvage yards if you have the will, and the ability. Then it is undeniably yours. This is the 9th bike I've drug out of the trash, and you have a connection with them you never quite develop with a used bike

·
Super Moderator
2,522 Posts
It was probably about the same, possibly even slightly more than buying a used bike. It always is.... That is working under the assumption that you can find a used bike that meets you need. There are ALWAYS banged up ones in salvage yards if you have the will, and the ability. Then it is undeniably yours. This is the 9th bike I've drug out of the trash, and you have a connection with them you never quite develop with a used bike
Wow, great job on the rebuild!

Now about that profile avatar... where/how did you come up with that?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My wife is a graphic artist, and many years ago I described a situation at work as a monkey F'ing a football, and she made me that gif.... she subsequently sold it to a clip art agency and it is all over the internet now, just google Monkey F'ing a football, it may have even gone into the public domain, but that's the original

·
Super Moderator
2,522 Posts
My wife is a graphic artist, and many years ago I described a situation at work as a monkey F'ing a football, and she made me that gif.... she subsequently sold it to a clip art agency and it is all over the internet now, just google Monkey F'ing a football, it may have even gone into the public domain, but that's the original
Oh, I’m aware that it started out at https://mybadco.com/. LOL We have the money, the pooch, and cluster on a few t-shirts and decals dating all the way back to the Ducati Monster Forum days because I’m married to ZLTFUL. :smile2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts