Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Had a long weekend here in Boston. First day started at 35 degrees and slowly worked its way up to 50-ish. Today, the last day, was a very cold 17 degrees with windchill. . . These being my first two days on a bike, period, were pretty brutal haha.

So I went into this with no bicycle experience. I balanced my self once, in a walmart lol but that was the extent of it. In one weekend I learned starting, clutch control, braking, swerving, shifting, and cornering. Dropped the bike a couple of times but the instructors were more concerned for me than the bike (hey it happens).

All in all I am really happy with how the weekend went. I'm still not ready for the road and given the choice, I won't be riding in 17 degree weather :no: I accrued 13 of 21 possible points of failing the riding portion and a 98% on the written portion. I think I could've done better but that figure 8 is a b***h! lol

Can't wait to get out there on my Ninja :woohoo2_smilie:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Congratulations! I can't imagine riding in 17 degree weather. Heck I'm cold now and its 45! I'm sure warm weather can't come soon enough now.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PREACH IT :iagree:

that was the only part that gave me trouble
Brother I failed that part blatantly lol. Swerving and braking were my strong suits. Lost no points at all there.

17 degree weather is no fun. Almost made it impossible to have fun. If not for it being my first time on a bike, I probably wouldn't have been interested. Fingers were near numb.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Congrats! I just passed the Harley Davidson Riders Edge course today. It was amazing thinking about the first day on the bike doing friction zone drills, to putting it all together today. I as well had a hard time on the figure 8's. I went outside the box once. The way I look at it though if I have to do back to back U-turns then that means I am lost as hell lol.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Grats. And yes, the figure 8 was so dumb. I put my foot down during that test, it was either that or the bike itself lol.

After passing, I told myself that I would practice like crazy in parking lots with my bike when I got it. Since owning my ninja, I've put 32 miles so far mainly in parking lots and 10-25mph neighborhood riding. I'm taking it slowly each day but I'm in no rush to get on the road as I know I'm not quite ready for it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Congrats! I just passed the Harley Davidson Riders Edge course today. It was amazing thinking about the first day on the bike doing friction zone drills, to putting it all together today. I as well had a hard time on the figure 8's. I went outside the box once. The way I look at it though if I have to do back to back U-turns then that means I am lost as hell lol.
Exactly! That means I was traveling down the road and realized I was going the wrong way and then I realized again that it wasn't the wrong way and now this is the wrong way lol. I said that to myself yesterday.

Grats. And yes, the figure 8 was so dumb. I put my foot down during that test, it was either that or the bike itself lol.

After passing, I told myself that I would practice like crazy in parking lots with my bike when I got it. Since owning my ninja, I've put 32 miles so far mainly in parking lots and 10-25mph neighborhood riding. I'm taking it slowly each day but I'm in no rush to get on the road as I know I'm not quite ready for it.
Of course I'd rather the foot than the bike. Foot is points. Bike is automatic fail. Wasn't gonna let that one happen! Hey for me, I don't have to be Valentino Rossi. I'm gonna work my way from parking lots to my neighborhood, to the street parallel to mine where some traffic accumulates, to real world riding. Better safe than sorry.

·
Super Moderator
2,622 Posts
Hey for me, I don't have to be Valentino Rossi. I'm gonna work my way from parking lots to my neighborhood, to the street parallel to mine where some traffic accumulates, to real world riding. Better safe than sorry.
:emot-thumbsup: This makes you both very smart and very mature riders. Ride your own ride, continue to get comfortable with and build your skills in a relatively safe environment; then you'll be ready to be unleashed on society. No matter how long that takes, you're still going to have plenty of riding in your future.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I passed MSF in Oct, found it pretty easy since being a scooter rider back home for a few years. But just a few days ago, I took a very first ride on my bike and realized that I forgot everything I was taught in Oct, I had a hard time dealing with shifting and embarrassed myself on the street :huh:

Cassa, I live in Boston as well. Can my ninja make friends with yours? :emot-coffee:

·
Registered
79 Posts
The box is of no concern the max points that can be assessed is 8 pts. Regardless of how many boundaries you break and how many times you put your feet down. However guys on a 300 you can turn it in 14 ft with ease, I measured it. I am a MSF instructor. Also if you are making the s-turn you are making the 24 ft box it is an optical illusion the turn radius is identical. I even made the 20' box on a Harley Ultra Classic. If they didn't tell you to turn your head like you are gonna look at your brake light, and fully explain counter lean they didn't teach you the proper technique. This is a technique that always gets new students. You need to develop trusting your look as I call it. Look through the corner and cones not at them.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I passed MSF in Oct, found it pretty easy since being a scooter rider back home for a few years. But just a few days ago, I took a very first ride on my bike and realized that I forgot everything I was taught in Oct, I had a hard time dealing with shifting and embarrassed myself on the street :huh:

Cassa, I live in Boston as well. Can my ninja make friends with yours? :emot-coffee:
:woohoo2_smilie: a fellow 300 rider? In Boston? The city in which I live!? Yes! Let's be friends! I am a newbie and have lots to learn. I'm always looking to meet people :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
6 Posts
:woohoo2_smilie: a fellow 300 rider? In Boston? The city in which I live!? Yes! Let's be friends! I am a newbie and have lots to learn. I'm always looking to meet people :eek:ccasion14:

Yayyyyyy, I could not be happier to have found a Boston fellow in this forum. I'm a newbie as well, we should meet up and practice when it gets warmer. I know another guy from MSF, he lives in Medford and has a white ninja 300. So we have 3 now :eek:ccasion14:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts