Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have done this? or seen it done? I'm thinking of painting mine to match the bike, not to cover damage, just to match the bike color.
I haven't seen any laws against it and most folks I talked to didn't seem to think it would be a bad idea, but still most of them thought it might not be legal for some reason, even tho no one could pin that down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
No it's perfectly legal. A friend of mine does custom airbrush work on all of his helmets and he's never had a problem with them.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Why would it be illegal to paint a helmet? As long as t doesn't have red and blue lights flashing have at it. People throw stickers and decals all over em all the time.

I'd get it professionally done for looks if it were me, but I'm not that handy with airbrush.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm just painting it a base color, LOL, I didn't think it was illegal but just seems like it would be wrong to paint a helmet. Maybe instead of sliding across the pavement it would "stick" to the pavement when dragging across it...heck I don't know, but i'm painting mine anyway.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Some paint's that have petroleum derivates in them can weaken the integrity of the shell of the helmet. :eek:

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Be sure to take before after and during pics! :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Pics? LOL of me with a rattle can in my hand and spraying? Ok, i'll take a pic of the before color and after color.
I'm painting it to match the bike, i'm going to put maybe one or two vinyl graphics on it.

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
I am guessing they just mean don't paint over the DOT cert on the helmet?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I painted my helmet. lol,... but seriously I was needing a new helmet last summer and didn't want to spend a lot of money. I picked up a Zox helmet off the clearance shelf at the local Iron Pony for $60.

It's actually a nice helmet, the only problem was it was a solid silver color. I did some asking around and got the same answers you did about painting it. Some people advised against it. All manufacturers warn against it. More than a few people though had painted their helmets with seemingly no ill effects, some even crashing with their painted helmets with no problems.

I was already pretty much set on painting it anyway so I decided to take the plunge. Having never done this before, what I ended up doing was covering the entire helmet in masking tape. I then was able to draw on the helmet with a pencil and erase to make changes. I then gently cut out the parts I wanted to paint black with a razor. I lightly sanded those parts, then cleaned the dust off. I used Krylon Fusion for the black.

I used acrylic paint for the colors. I used reflective tape for the eyes, the #14, and the stripes on the bottom. I also didn't paint over the DOT sticker. After that I then applied a few coats of clear to finish.

·
Registered
865 Posts
very nice!
I did pinstriping with rim tape on my helmet lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts