Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the alpinestars oxygen air overpants from cycle gear and picked them up today. They're really nice. The only down fall to the is no tailbone protection and the hip pads are almost nothing. I was previously riding in jeans. Now fully geared up.
Next I'm considering a collar. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
295 Posts
I ordered the alpinestars oxygen air overpants from cycle gear and picked them up today. They're really nice. The only down fall to the is no tailbone protection and the hip pads are almost nothing. I was previously riding in jeans. Now fully geared up.

Is it just foam in the hips? I've got some knox hip armor that is really thin but CE rated, supposedly the alpine stars bio armor is some really great stuff so if that's what you got in the hips then even though it may not look like much you are problably golden.

As for tailbone protection... find some tailbone armor and velcro it in. That's what 90% of the pants do for knee and hip armor. That way it's adjustable and you can place it where your tailbone is.

·
Registered
53 Posts

I ordered these but ended up returning them. I'm 5'11" and ordered the medium size. I felt they were too long which made the whole set up baggy and bunchy. Because of this, I didn't feel the knee guards would really stay in place in the event of a crash. Although they are appreciably more expensive, I ended up going with the Dainese New Drake textile pant. They are a slimmer fit, a good length, and have more substantial padding that doesn't seem like they'll shift around due to the more slender cut.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Actually coming off and landing on your coccyx is very rare on a street/track bike. Unlike a dirt bike or MX, you spend almost all your time in the saddle sitting down instead of standing on the pegs like you do a lot on a dirt bike. Also, most of your accidents are going to be low sides and high sides. On a low side, it's going to be a transition onto your side to your back, while on a high side you're most likely going to go head and shoulders first. While I've had tested a low side before, I haven't had the want to go out and test it out on a high side personally. Although I've seen plenty of friends high side and they all landed on their head, shoulder, or collar bone. Your new pants should work just fine for road use. Almost all motorcycle pants have reinforced seats in them which give a little padding and you don't land on your ass all too much when you do go down. Not saying it's impossible, just the chances of it are very unlikely.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ordered these but ended up returning them. I'm 5'11" and ordered the medium size. I felt they were too long which made the whole set up baggy and bunchy. Because of this, I didn't feel the knee guards would really stay in place in the event of a crash. Although they are appreciably more expensive, I ended up going with the Dainese New Drake textile pant. They are a slimmer fit, a good length, and have more substantial padding that doesn't seem like they'll shift around due to the more slender cut.
Were ypu wearing these as an overpant? I'm 5"10 and they dont seem too long or baggy for me. I guess I like them to breath a little. I am using them as strictly overpants.

·
Registered
80 Posts

can you provide some details on the sizing, I want to pick one up but wondering if the fit is little baggy keeping in mind it will be worn on top jeans or something. Post a picture of you wearing it if you can :D

·
Registered
506 Posts
can you provide some details on the sizing, I want to pick one up but wondering if the fit is little baggy keeping in mind it will be worn on top jeans or something. Post a picture of you wearing it if you can :D
I'm 5'7" and bought the small. They fit perfect. They will run a tad long but will be fine once sitting. In saddle position the knee pads fit perfect.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Thanks, what jeans size do you normally wear
I wear 30x30 levis but can comfortably do 28x30 on a good day :rolleyes:

The waist on the a* is not an issue cause it's adjustable. If i was 5'9" with the same waist size, the pants would be absolutely perfect. But as a 5'7" frame, theres very little to complain about. Keep in mind too, they're overpants and will fit a bit baggy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I wear 30x30 levis but can comfortably do 28x30 on a good day :rolleyes:

The waist on the a* is not an issue cause it's adjustable. If i was 5'9" with the same waist size, the pants would be absolutely perfect. But as a 5'7" frame, theres very little to complain about. Keep in mind too, they're overpants and will fit a bit baggy.

Thanks man, I think I will go with size S. BTW if I decide to wear armoured shorts inside does it gave enough room to get them in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts