Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm starting this thread to have a place for owners to post their dyno results/charts and custom maps as they build them. When posting please include the make/model of the dynamometer, your run chart and any custom maps you may have created on the dyno for others to use.

Allow me to start...

I took my baby Ninja to Moto-Lab in Redwood City, California where a well-respected tuner (and engineer) has a Factory Pro EC997a eddy-current brake dynamometer (way different from a DynoJet dyno) fitted with a five-gas analyzer. For those that are unfamiliar with the difference between the dynos I recommend reading THIS and THIS.

This particular trip was meant to do a Wide Open Throttle run of the bike on the dyno to see what kind of numbers it would pull 'stock' and with the PCV 'stock map' loaded. I have aftermarket tuning parts coming which will require a tuning module like the PCV.

The first run we did was with the PCV loaded with their map for bikes with stock exhaust and air filters (which is currently the state of the bike - mods are coming soon). It pulled a max of 32.6bhp at 11k.

The second run was with the PCV using a 'zero' map. This means it lets the ECU do its thing without changing timing or A/F ratios up or down (just as if it wasn't even installed). It pulled a max of 32.7bhp at 11k.

There is virtually no difference in the HP or torque curves for both runs. What is different were the CO readings and both had extremely low NOX numbers indicating there could be plenty of room for mixture improvement, advancing the timing to get a cleaner burn and some additional horsepower. However, he mentioned to me that the catalytic converter can push down those numbers, so with a full exhaust system installed, NOX may look better than it does now but CO may look worse.

The one benefit I have found is that the PCV loaded with their 'stock' map appears to eliminate the stalling while engine braking (so far). We believe it may be due to the increased fuel the map allows at smaller throttle openings, but a dedicated diagnostic tune (read: $$$) would be required to get it sorted properly.

When I get my other parts in and time on the dyno I'll post the results of that experience, charts and the PCV map as well.

Enjoy! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I am confused by the power loss on the stock map..i can say with my map and mods my butt dyno is off the chart :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am confused by the power loss on the stock map..i can say with my map and mods my butt dyno is off the chart :D
Before I saw the dyno results I would have agreed with you, but afterwards when I was riding on a 'zero' map (and stalling) I rode it like I had been and it actually felt the same. After all the work of installing the PCV I believe I was riding with 'Belief Horse Power' (which is closely related to 'Brochure Horse Power' that OEM marketing departments use) instead of actual 'Brake Horse Power'. :)

Having said that, it is possible that the 'stock' map may add a horse or two at partial throttle openings (12.5%, 25%, 50%, 75%) that do not show up on this WOT (Wide Open Throttle 100%) dyno run. But it seems clear that there is no massive leap in power.

Now wait until I get the exhaust/air filter installed and the airbox screen removed. There should be some improvements to show with better flow and a dedicated mixture/timing tune.

If you've got some time you can look at some of the dyno tunes he's performed on other bikes HERE.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I got the area-p tuner with m4 full system and K&n filter (have a pod filter in the mail).. Without the tuner I didnt notice any change other than noise.. With the tuner the change was amazing full power though the entire band..

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was planning on getting the m4 exahust and tuner but as far as the pod goes...
Install?
Pics?
DIY?:)

Not worth getting a drop in? Guess it all depends on how much effort is between the two. Ha

·
Registered
237 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts